Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:38 pm 

I was just wondering...how fast should the baby's heart be beating? I had an appointment today and the doctor said my baby's heart was 140 beats per minute. Then she said her guess is I'm having a boy (the ultrasound is on Jan. 18, I guess we'll know then). I went to work right after my appointment and one of my co-workers said that really fast hearts are usually girls, so I was wondering if 140 is kind of slow? I'm so new at all this...it's exciting being a first time mom, but I kind of feel in the dark about so many things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:22 pm 

LuvLife wrote:
I was just wondering...how fast should the baby's heart be beating? I had an appointment today and the doctor said my baby's heart was 140 beats per minute. Then she said her guess is I'm having a boy (the ultrasound is on Jan. 18, I guess we'll know then). I went to work right after my appointment and one of my co-workers said that really fast hearts are usually girls, so I was wondering if 140 is kind of slow? I'm so new at all this...it's exciting being a first time mom, but I kind of feel in the dark about so many things.

140bpm doesn't sound slow. I am sure everything is fine. Using a heartbeat as a gender prediction isn't reliable. Boys can have faster heartbeats, and girls can have slower. I am sure everything is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:28 pm 

the theory goes: if it's 150 or higher (say 150-180) it's a girl and if it's below 150 (say 120-140) it's a boy. My Hannah's heartbeat was 150 at my ultrasound about 4 months ago and at a recent appt. it was about 145. It tends to slow down as the baby gets closer to being born. Also it is just as reliable as any other old wive's tale! Which is not very. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:47 pm 

Hi,

My son's heartbeat was 150 when I went for the ultrasound. So like everyone else has said the heartbeat is not a good predictor of the sex of the baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:15 pm 

In the begining of pregnancy my dd was 160's and my son was 150's. Like others said, it's fun to guess the sex, but heartrate doesn't determine it, just an old wives tale. I'm surprised that your dr. made a prediction based upon heartrate-kind of unprofessional. They usually tell you it doesn't mean anything. Have fun at your sono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:43 pm 

I'm not sure why my doctor said she thought it was a boy. She just said, "I'm guessing it's a boy, but that's just my guess. We'll see in a couple weeks." She did say it though right after listening to the heartbeat. So I don't think she was meaning to be unprofessional, just friendly. The girl at work was the one who made me wonder if the heatbeat is why she said it. I don't care if it's a boy or a girl, I'm just really anxious to know. I want to start looking at getting some baby stuff, but I don't want all generic stuff. Only 12 more days until my ultrasound!!! I wish I could feel my baby, the doctor guessed I'd be feeling it pretty soon...I hope she's right. I'm so excited to feel it!

Thanks to those who have responded thus far. It's interesting to hear where other mother's were at when they were in my shoes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:45 am 

my babys heartbeat has fluctuated from the 120s to the 160s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:32 pm 
Can anybody else post their experience?

I also had today the same problem. I don' t know the baby sex and the heart rate was 120. Doc said that based on the believes that should suggest a boy but not guaranteed.

I just wonder if it really can so dramatically change from this to being a higher ridding for girl.

I am in my 27 th week. I wonder if the heart rate can still fluctuate from this moment on or maby it iwll stay steady?