Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How long?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:30 am 

I know this is my second message but I would just like to know how long people have been trying? It seems like it takes forever and it should be the most natural and easy thing in the world. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:42 pm 

The Average couple takes 6 to 8 months to conceive. The older you are, the longer the average time gets.

The rule of thumb is if you are under 35 and haven't conceived after a year of trying...to go get a good fertility work up. If you are over 35 it goes down to 6 months.

Each cycle you have a 25% chance of conceiving.

Good luck to you!

Nancy
http://thefertilityshop.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:00 pm 

Oh you poor chick :( Its really hard when you want something sooo bad and its just not happening.
What measures to you take to try pinpoint your ovulation day? Do you chart your temperature at all? Thats truly a brilliant way or do you use ovulation predictor kits?
And as already has been said the older you are the longer it can take.

Everyone is different when it comes to how long it takes, some fall overnight and other wait years. The best thing is to find out how your particular body works eg charting temp etc and maximize your chance for conception each month.

I have been wanting baby #3 for the last 12months but unfortunatly found at my pre-conception checkup that one of my hormone levels had dropped and the Doc advised me to wait til it was back up to scratch before conceiving again. I have taken 4 months worth of hormone replacement( at 29!!) and last time I checked I was only about .05 point away from what my level was supposed to be - so, we werent so 'careful' about not falling pregnant this month :) Soo although I havent been TTC for a long time - I have been waiting to TTC for a long time so I know how you feel :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:40 pm 

Pre-conception check up and hormone levels, How do I get me one of them? Do you have to go to a gyn/ob or just your g.p? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:59 am 

Lets see I got pregnant with my son quite quickly. Then we started trying for another when he was 9 months old and I got pregnant relatively quick but that pregnancie ended in a misscarraige. IT took 5 months more to get pregnant again and we had our baby girl. We then tried for another baby and started ttc in november last year I got pregnant in july this year and lost baby. So we are ttc again this month. Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:48 am 

Good luck :D to you too!!With so many miscarraiges :( have you ever had any tests to see what is going on? You must be so strong to keep going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:31 pm 

It took my husband and I 15 months to get pregnant. But, our little one was worth the wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:19 pm 

Beleive me I know the're worthit but everywhere I go there seems to be babies it can be quite depressing and very frustrating when people say to me 'Oh no you can't possibly want more' I'm trying really hard to be patient and have a sense of humour about it but sometimes it can get a bit much :cry: thats why I come here none of you have been anything but positive :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:39 am 

Hiya

You can visit your doctor and let him/her know you are trying for another baby and was wondfering about your hormone levels. That is what I did and I had bloods taken at the docs as well as at the hospital.

They check for progesterone and estrogen and FHS and LH and Prolactin and so many more. You can also have a blood test at a certain time in your month to see whether you have indeed been Ovulating. So, start with the doc and take it from there.

Hubby can also have a sample done to make sure his sperm count is ok!

I miscarried July last year and have been trying every since. Now I am on Round 5 of Clomid or will be starting round 5 tomorrow.

I wish you the best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:55 pm 

Thanx for the advice I think seeing as we have 6 kids allready my husbands sperm should be fine,It just cant up and die can it? I will go and see my doctor though with a list of the tests you suggested !THank you again :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:10 pm 

Hey Tracy :D
Yes as Amelia said you can get your pre-conception checkup done with any good doctor. I would think it would be a really good idea for you to have your hormone levels checked too seeing as you already have 6 children - just to make sure that they are all brimming and up to scratch. Its sooo important not just for pregnancy but for your quality of life - they are after all what makes a womans world go round :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:21 am 

Hi Tracey, good luck with the hormone tests.

In answer to your question, I do believe a man's sperm can go down from time to time.

My hubby had a test over twelve months ago which came back fine but they asked for another test to be carried out 12 months later which we now have to wait three weeks for the results.

I am sure all is well but can't hurt getting checked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:16 pm 

When I had my first misscarraige I went to the doctor worried that I may not be able to have another baby and he said that because I already have a child I should be ok to have another. Then I got pregnant with Cerys. So although I have had another misscarraige I am hoping I will get pregnant again. I will just have to wait and see. I have a relative who lost 3 babies and then went on to have 3 more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:21 am 

Well no baby this month :( So I'm off to the doctors on the 1st of december . I have had to try a new doctor ,as I don't go to doctors the one I went and saw last time didn't seem very receptive and just tried to get rid of me by giving me a script for clomid , Now I"M not sure what clomid does but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be just taking it on my own without a doctor supervising me . So I'm trying a new doctor who comes highly recommended,and we would hope a bit more understanding, as I am getting very frustated and quite depressed, now even the cat next door is pregnant!! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:26 am 

Wow he put you on Clomid hey? Hmmm you might get yourself some twins or triplets out of that! Send some my way would ya? :lol:

Sorry - didnt mean to make jokes at your situation though :)

How long have you been trying for now Tracy? Clomid is a pretty big step in the fertility drug line so you are right about getting properly supervised.
Im not an expert on it but Amelia here is as she on her 5th month taking it now - she would be great advice.