Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:25 am 

[color=darkblue]Hi,
I am worried. I gained aobut 9 lbs exactly in 3 monts.
Is this normal.
books usually tell that one should not gain at all or a little
within first trymester.

please advice.[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:25 am 

It depends. If you were underweight to begin with, your body is just trying to prepare itself. If you're really worried talk to your doctor about it. See if there is a nutritionist that you can talk to.

Also re-evaluate what you are eating. A lot of women use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want to. Think about if you're eating a lot of sugary and fatty things. Go with your cravings, but don't overindulge. Don't think that you are eating for two. While you are eating for you and the baby, the baby doesn't need a full adult portion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:05 pm 

Everyone weight gain is different. As long as you're doctor doesn't say anything I would'nt worry. With my first son I gained overy 30 pounds and he was a big baby he was 8 pounds and 8 ounces. I don't worry about my weight as long as my baby is healthy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:38 pm 

I agree that weight gain during pregnancy is a very individual thing. I know with my first pregnancy I was hungry all the time.....in fact I had to keep a banana by my bedside every night because I would wake up hungry.
I gained a total of 47 lbs with my first pregnancy and my doctor was never concerned with my weight gain. I also did NOT have any complications relating to the weight gain at all. My son was 9lbs 7oz.
Like the other posters said if your doctor is not concerned than you shouldn't be and as long as you are not filling up on empty calories eg.high sugar, high fat foods which will fill you, make you gain more weight but will provide no or little nutritional value to you and your baby.

Just relax, enjoy yourself and eat healthy foods but indulge yourself once in a while. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:24 pm 

I would just be more careful from now on. 9lbs. is a lot for the first three months. Those should be the 3 months with the least weight gain. The appetite and all that really hasn't set in by then. Just make sure you are eating healthy and you should be ok. I have gained 39 lbs. so far and I am 7 months, oops. But I am really focusing on eating really healthy and the last 2 weeks I didn't gain anything. Toward the end you'll be hungry all the time so you gotta get used to eating healthy now otherwise you could end up with gestational diabetes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:15 pm 

With my son I gained 12 pounds my first three months but by nine months I had gained 26 pounds. So I guess it evened out. He was 8 pounds 2 ounces. With my daughter I gained only 10 pounds throughout the whole pregnancy and she was 8 pounds 8 ounces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:17 pm 

I just wanted to add, don't freak out about the weight you have already gained. Don't try to lose it. Right now dieting is not an option, however having a healthy diet is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:16 pm 

I am 34 weeks and I have gained about 60 pounds so far :) Approx. 10 lbs a month! My doc is not concerned. I was underweight before and I have been eating very healthy all through my pregnancy, Following the reccomended number of servings from every food group for pregnant and nursing women every day. Everyone is different; if your doc is not concerned than you shouldnt be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:03 pm 

Everyone is right. IF your doctor is not concerned then you shouldn't be either. If you are eating healthy foods it's fine. I am sure the doctor would rather you gain 50 pounds eating healthy foods then 15 pounds eating junk food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:06 am 

Hey,

I was just going to say that appetite DOES sometimes increase in the first trimester, at least it did with me.......but I was also pretty small pre-pregnancy. We are all different. If you feel hungry EAT! Don't let anyone tell you you've gained too much or you should watch your weight gain, especially if your doctor isn't concerned.
I gained the most in my second trimester. Your weight gain will slow towards the end of your pregnancy and you will go weeks at a time with no weight gain, as someone else had mentioned.

Whatever you do, DO NOT DIET, you will do more harm to your baby.
It was in the news lately that a lot of these movie stars that have been and are pregnant eg. Julia Roberts thought that it was okay to skip meals!! Can you believe it?!
Pregnant women need a certain amt. of fat in their diet for the fetus' brain development. Low fat everything, eg. milk, yogurt, cheese is not necessarily the best for your baby.
That's all I have to say :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:22 pm 

i gained oly 6 pounds through 5 months then i gained 10 for the last month so a total of 16 pounds so far and i turned 6 months 2 weeks ago i don't know how to update my ticker lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:25 pm 

It all depends.

My aunt gained 70 some lbs in her pregnancy and had a very healthy baby. By the time she was 3 mnths she looked like I did when I gave birth.

I gained about 5 lbs in the first 7 mnths and had a very healthy baby.

If your doctor isn't concerned, than you shouldn't be either.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:16 pm 

im about 27 weeks now and i gained about 45 pounds... and when i was 3 months i had gained about 20 pounds.... it all depends on your physical before you were pregnant... my friend was 115lbs before getting pregnant and shes now 32 weeks and only gained 15 pounds... it all depends on you .... :wink: