Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:44 pm 

I found out on June 29th that I was pregnant, The day before I went to the doctor because I was miserable and since I have irregular periods I wasnt worried about being pregnant, the doctor told me I was about 6 to 8 weeks pregnant, but he wasn't sure, I scheduled an appointment and the earliest they can give it to me is July 12, shouldnt I see the doctor early, so I can get the supplements I need? Just wondering if I should call the doctor back and ask them for an earlier appt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:15 pm 

You can get prenatals over the counter. I didn't goto my 1st appointment until 6 weeks but after bloodtest confirmed I was pregnant I got prentals over the counter and started taking them.

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:36 pm 

thank you. I have taken folic acid, because in all the readings I do, it tells me to make sure that I take that, another thing is I dont drink milk at all, havent since I was a child, and even though I take a multi vitamin, I've read that I should have about 1200 mg of calcium and I dont think I get enough calcium through out the day. I am probably worrying for no reason, first time, so I am probably going to be like this through the whole pregnancy, but thank you so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:35 pm 

Hey,

Calcium is very important during your pregnancy. I'm not a milk drinker either, but I didn't mind drinking chocolate milk when I was pregnant.
You can also drink orange juice fortified with calcium, like Tropicana, eat yogurt, cheese. Do a 'google' search on calcium rich foods and I'm sure you'll find plenty you can eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:27 pm 

Where I live your first appt. is at 10weeks, but they call in a prescription for vitamins when you make your first appt. or you can take over the counter prenatal vitamins, which I did with my 2nd. The presc. vitamins made me so sick but I never had a prob. with the otc plus there so much cheaper. Congratulations!

Post subject: Viactiv
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:22 am 
Site Admin

For those of you looking for easy ways to get enough calcium while pregnant, take a loot at http://www.viactiv.com/ . Its chocolate, its candy, and its calcium. What more could you want?

The Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:03 am 

There is no specific time that you *should* see a Doctor when you are pregnant. (Some people don't even find out until 3 or 4 months....) So, as soon as you find out is the best time. I found out at 3 weeks, and my Doctor (with people who find out that early) likes to see his patients between 6-7 weeks. (For the fact that that is as early as the Doctor can hear the heart beat with his little machine. )

You can get the supplements you need over the counter. Prenatal vitamins are sold at most drug stores. Try to eat healthy (if you aren't already) and make sure you get a lot of calcuim and folic acid. (Two things my Doctor stressed) And, if the prenatal pills make you sick to your stomache (they do in alot of women) and you have to switch to regular vitamins (make sure you take TWO) and make sure you are getting alternate sources of iron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:37 am 

I didn't see my doctor last time until I was 13 weeks, I was kind of nervous that that was way too late, but she told me that alot of people come in later. Buy the vitamins OTC, they're MUCH cheaper! (Luckily, I still have most of the bottle from last time, so I won't have to buy any for a while.) And if you smoke, don't forget to quit smoking ASAP. (I'm working on that one right now.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:19 pm 

thank you all for your reply, I am going to buy some prenatal vit. I have been taking citrum, I think that is how you spell that. anyways, I also have folic acid on the side which would equal the 800 mg that I need, but my husband didnt like that idea. but I'll take your advice, congratulations to everyone on here as well.