Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:00 pm 

I have noticed with my son in the last 3 months or so that every once in a while...maybe once a day he has these little episodes where he gets totally out of control. He starts shouting or yelling, throwing himself down, flailing his arms around, and knocking into whatever is near him....either an inanimate object or a person.
These "episodes" of his can be totally spontaneous and random or sometimes if we are trying to get him to do something like get dressed etc, he will act this way.

Today I took him to "Creative Play", a playgroup which I signed him up for. Everything was fine although he would get distracted with toys and other kids around him every so often. At one point we were all in a circle singing a song and out of nowhere, he started to yell out lound and then the "episode" started, he made himself fall to the floor, he started running around and on purpose banged into a wall. I had to literally hold him to calm him down. Talk about embarrasing!!
I'm am somewhat worried and wondering to myself if this is a early sign or redflag to a future behavioural problem or is it just him not wanting to do something and acting out because he doesn't know quite how to express his emotions yet.
Everyone else in my family thinks I'm over-reacting and that he is a typical two year old boy. Personally, I want to keep an eye on this and if it continues or gets worse and he doesn't outgrow this, to definitely mention it to his doctor.
Also, as a side note....he loves to play-wrestle with his dad. As soon as my husband gets in the door from work, Alex is begging my husband to get down on the floor and wrestle. Now I'm starting to think that this wrestling EVERY night may be making him more aggressive and contributing to these episodes he is having.

Any advice?? Anyone else have experience with this sort of thing?
He is a great kid and 99% of the time very, very good, very calm and can play on his own very quietly for long periods of time. He is also very kind and loves to share even with other kids. If another kid grabs a toy off of him, Alex will let it roll right off of his shoulders. He'll just walk away and get another toy and never yell "Mine" or "Give me".

I also have a cousin that was on Ritalin for years. He went on it from the age of 8 and was on it until 18 or so. This was all because the teachers were saying he "could not focus" I really don't believe in that at all and I think that giving medication to kids and especially for that long of a period can be bad. My grandma used to say that after he started taking the Ritalin he was like a zombie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:33 pm 

Hey Nikki
It's so funny cause Mikey can get to be the same way. ESPECIALLY when it's getting dressed time. He runs around he yells he shakes his head. I was so nervous cause my brother is bi polar and of course that was the frist thing I thought of cause it could be heriditary. I spoke with my doctor and he told me he understood my concerns due to family history but my son was a normal two year old. Of course sugar and being tired would make these episodes worse or happen more often but it was a normal thing. Hope that helps. If you get real down or embarrassed I'll tell you about our grocery store incident where they actually intercommed for a bagger to help us get out of there. That would make you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:53 pm 

Thanks Jenna, I feel a bit better. You'll have to tell me in detail about the grocery store incident...it sounds funny, though I'm sure it wasn't at the time.

What exactly is bi-polar disorder and what are the symptoms?

I even called my hubby at work after the incident today because I was concerned. He just told me that he was a real hyperactive kid and not to worry.......I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again for your fast response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:15 pm 

I'm glad you are feeling better.
Here this ought to do it. I took the kids grocery shopping cause we were having christmas dinner here. So I had payton in her seat in the front and Mikey in the back of the cart. Now I needed lots of stuff so it got crowded in there and eventually he wanted to get out. I was fine with that. But because it was so crowded in the cart when I took him out all the groceries fell to where he was sitting. I promise you we didn't wake two steps he wanted to go back in the cart. Well, he literally couldn't cause of all the groceries. I don't know where this voice came from or who this little boy in front of me was but in a voice I had never heard before he demaded to go in. I nicely said no and started walking he started to cry. I told him when he ws done with his tantrum he could catch up with us. Well, he SCREAMED and CRIED. He entwinded his little fingers into the basket so I was literally dragging him. I passed this woman in an aisle twice she said to her teenage daughter"if that was my kid I would shoot myself." Ugh I was motrified. He got so worked up that he was passed crying and just screaming. He had never done this before. I was trying to talk to him but at this point it was impossbile. We get up to the check out and I am trying to get out as soon as possible with a little dignity. But now my daughter is screaming cause Mikey scared her. With that I hear over the loud speaker "we need a bagger immediatly in lane 14." I look up and that's us. By the time we got in the car he couldn't even calm himself down. I thought I would die. We came home and I sent him right to bed and he took a three hour nap. When I went in there to get him after he woke up I asked him what happened at the store. He told me "I am little mommy." He had a point I forgot.........he's two. Tantrums are normal.
I don't know exactly all the medical terms about bi polar. My brother is 27 now and on medication so you would never knew if you met him. But before the medicine the only way I could describe my brother was hot or cold. That's the only two ways he would be. He was either in a great mood and loving everyone or he was nasty and miserable. And the weird thing is you caould always tell before he even opened his mouth. He would have this dark look on his face if he was in a bad mood. It was crazy. My mom now feels guilty cause it was never diagnosed when he was younger. So he was always being punished and grounded and everyone just thought he was a miserable child. His doctor now feels he always had this. I just know with my kids to keep and eye out. And whenever I have a question I just ask my doctor who is excellent. Was your husband on medication when he was little?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:20 pm 

Well I had to laugh when I got to the part of your story where they paged a bagger to lane 14....you must have felt like every person in the whole store was looking at you! That's so cute though how Mikey told you "he's just little".

As far as I know my husband was never on medication. I don't think it was that bad. I myself rarely, and I mean rarely give Alex any sort of sugary dessert. BUT, as soon as we're visiting my mom's house or my grandmother who both also watch Alex from time to time, the sugary stuff is everywhere.....chocolate chip cookies, pudding, popsicles, you name it, they've got it for him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total party-pooper when it comes to treats, but at the same time I don't want Alex to have a mouth full of cavities. I'm pretty diligent when it comes to brushing his teeth...he can brush his own but I'm the one that gets to the back of his mouth and all the inner parts of his teeth. I have even started flossing his teeth about a month ago and he loves it.....he says it tickles! :lol:
I also try to limit the sugar because he does seem a little more hyper after having too much of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:02 am 

I have to admit it is funny now but that day I swore I was going to have an anxiety attack. My face was so hot and I thought I was going to pbe sick. Although when I told my aunt about it she told me anyone that has kids has been there. They may not admit it and it may not have been as bad but they have been there. I felt better. Sometimes Mikey tends to out smart me. My husband and I admit because he's so smart and so good that when he is bad or does act up we forget that he's two and it's normal. I'm the sameway with desserts. I try to give him stuff with less sugar. although I am not a party pooper either. I mean we have plenty of snacks in the house. My husband is a snacker but if Mikey ask just for a snakc I give granola bars or pretezels. I find too much juice makes him a little hyper. Even though I buy the no sugar added. So he gets orange juice for breakfast if he wants a second glass it's watered down, apple jiuce for lunch same thing watered down after the first glass, water for dinner and milk with snacks which he just started asking for. Before now he wasn't drinking much milk. And my mom used to give him the carbonated flavored water. It's supposed to be all natural but for some reason he bounces off the wall with that.
YOu floss his teeth? You are good. I'm not even that good with flossing my own teeth. I don't even know if I could floss his teeth. But I think I will give it a try. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:21 pm 

The only reason I started flossing Alex's teeth was because he saw me flossing mine and wanted to know what I was doing and also try it. I always have every good intention of flossing my own teeth every night but that never usually happens. What happens most nights is once I get Alex to bed I check my email, come to this site , watch some tv and I usually end up falling asleep on the couch without brushing or flossing... I have to start brushing and flossing earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:10 pm 

LOL!! Sounds like you and I are two wild and crazy girls. My routine is pretty much the same at night. LOL!!