Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:04 am 

Hi,

i had my first scan this morning and by the dates of my cycle should be 13 weeks pregnant, although my periods are very long, ie 38 - 40 days.

When they did the scan the lady said that I only looked 10 weeks and 4 days? SHOULD I BE WORRIED? I could see a heart beat and they said they could see arms and legs (I couldn't - didn't know what I was looking for)

My husband seems to think that everything will be fine, but I'm worried that if the baby hasnt grown like it was supposed to maybe something is really wrong.

I don't know what to think, now I have to go back on the 3 feb, to see if I'm the right size then. I just can't get it out of my head that something is wrong :(

Vicky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:35 am 
i had several ultrasounds due to some medical problems with me.. and at every ultrasound, baby was either measuring a week or behind or a week or two ahead.. it varied everytime i went in.. and there was one point where i was thinking that something was wrong and she wasnt growing well... well, i gave birth to a healthy 7 pound 7 ounce baby girl... you have to keep in mind that ultrasound are just an estimate, i had my last one while i was in the hospital, i was 40 week and 2 days, and the baby was measuring at 37 weeks, and weighing 6 pounds, well i had her and she was 7'7, and 19 inches long, very healthy. Im sure everything is ok, she always keep in mind that it is only an estimate. and good luck to you as well :):):):)

~Melisa~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:00 pm 

Hi! Just because your cycle dates say you should be so far along dosn't mean thats what you really are. An ultrasound tech explained to me that your first ultrasound is the accurate one as far as dates go. She said that two babies who are conceived on the same day can develop very differently so later on one might appear to be farther along when really it isn't. (My mom and I were confused b/c my 1st ultrasound said I was 14 wks, then my next one said I was about a week and a bit behind what the 1st one said.) Every baby develops differently. Thats why some are 5lbs at full term and some are 9lbs at full term. That due date chart that doctors use isn't totally accurate because it goes by the 1st day of your last period but that is not necessarily when you got pregnant. If I went by that one then I would be less far along than I really am. Even my doctor goes by my 1st ultrasound instead of subsequent ones or the chart b/c like I said; your 1st ultrasound is the most accurate way of telling how far along you are, the earlier the better. Anyway I hope this helped to ease your fears! Good luck with your pregnancy!