Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:30 pm 

The last couple of days I've had spotting....dark brown and when I wipe a slight reddish brown discharge. Well today it's been heavier, enough to have to wear a pad .
I work at a hospital so I went to the ER and had to wait for a good 4 hrs to see a doctor...no kidding! Because I wasn't soaking a pad he just felt my abdomen and didn't do a pelvic exam or order a ultrasound tonight because of the holiday and no radiologists in the hospital.
They did do bloodwork and my hormone count is down.......lower than it should be for me going into my 10th week of pregnancy. I think it was just over 4000 and that was equal to being in 5th wk of pregnancy.
He said I was probably having a miscarriage and there is nothing they could really do but they are ordering an ultrasound for me for next Wed. just so I know what is going on :cry:

Has anyone had a similar experience and it has not been a miscarriage?
I cried all the way home from the hospital......I feel so sad.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:11 pm 
ive never had a miscarriage, but im so sorry to hear that. that is a horrible way to start the year. if you need someone to talk to, please feel free to leave me a PM. Ill pray for you that everything is ok. My thoughts and prayers go to you in this time of need.

*hugs*

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:09 am 

Im sooo sorry to hear that as well!!! This is my 1st pregnancy so I have no idea what you're going through but I wish you luck!!! A very close friend of mine just had a miscarrige as well. My heart goes out to you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:01 am 

When I was 8 weeks pregnant with my son I had a reddish brownish discharge but the ultrasound showed that he was ok. My second pregnancy resulted in a misscarraige. I am really sorry to hear that u might be misscarrying I will pray for you. Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:59 am 

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.
Today the bleeding is continuing and more mild cramping and I have passed some pieces of tissue when urinating so I know it is a miscarriage.
I will still go for my ultrasound and see what they say and also find out if
I need a D&C.

I'll wait until then before I remove my pregnancy ticker... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:49 am 

Nikki,

i don't know what you're going through, but my heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with you. take care

Vicky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:07 pm 

I know there are no words that we can say. But I will keep you in my thought and prayers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:57 pm 

Hi Nikki,

I too just had a very similar miscarriage & can sympathize with the heartbreak you're feeling right now. This was my first pregnancy. My bleeding & cramping started the week before Xmas. I was approx. 9 wks. It was brownish & not very heavy, with occasional bits of brighter red or pinkish blood. I went to the ER on Sat., where they performed a pelvic exam & ultrasound. They sent me home without any solid answers & put me on bed rest. I nearly went insane not knowing all weekend. I went to my OB/GYN on Mon. & they gave me the unfortunate news that I was definitely miscarrying because my hormone levels dropped drastically, to around 5000 & the ultrasound showed the baby stopped developing at about 6 wks. The dr. suggested a D&C, but I foolishly decided to wait & see if the process would carry out naturally. The week following I endured a lot of pain, bleeding & emotional distress everytime I went to the bathroom...& because of the holiday had to then wait until 2 days after Xmas to have the procedure done. It's been almost a week now since my D&C. I only had bleeding for the first couple of days & now only have occasional light spotting. I'm feeling a lot better now & if I had to do it over again, I would have the D&C immediately. It really helps the healing process to begin a lot faster.

I've had a really hard time dealing with this & what I've unfortunately learned is that most people (unless they've gone through it) don't understand. It's a huge loss & you have to grieve. I encountered a lot of unsympathetic & callous people (in fact, I quit my job over it because my bosses were so apathetic). Luckily I have a very loving & supportive husband that has gone through it with me...we're both beginning to heal & will be trying again soon. The important thing is to talk about it & surround yourself with people who care about you.

I wish you all the best & know that there are people out there that are going through the same thing...you are not alone.

Good luck & best wishes,
Kandi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:23 am 

Kandi,

Thank you....and I'm really sorry for your loss as well. I agree with you that a lot of people just "brush it off" as nothing. That is so terrible about your employer.....are you unionized or is there any sort of action you can take against them?

I was back in the ER yesterday after starting to bleed very heavily with severe cramping and passing huge clots...sorry... I had to wait 5 hrs to see a doctor and get more bloodwork done....that's how our healthcare system is here....it's not very good if you have an emergency.
Anyway, they did the bloodwork and my hcg levels dropped to 2000 from 4000 on New Year's Day. They also did two pelvic exams and said it seemed that my body had done a pretty good job of getting everything out but thought there may still be a few clots left. They did not order a D&C but were thinking about it.
This morning the bleeding has slowed quite a bit and not really passing too much now but I still feel terrible and some mild cramping and discomfort. They still want me to go for an ultrasound on Wed. and then they will determine if I definitely need the D&C. I also have to go for after-care appts. with my obstetrician/gyno. to continue to make sure that my hormone levels drop......I was told they have to get to 0 or else that could mean there still is fetal tissue inside of me.

Right now I'm still grieving my loss. I have told work that I would not be in for the rest of the week and they seem to be very understanding but also because I work in a hospital and I have been to the ER at the hospital so they can't really say much.
My husband has also been a big help and very supportive. He was with me both times in the ER and I could not eat or drink for the almost 7 hrs I was there so he said he didn't want to eat either. He has also taken our son this morning to his parents house just so I could rest and he's going to do the laundry and grocery shopping !! Today is still a holiday for us....

I wish you all the luck with your next pregnancy. I was told by the doctor last night that miscarriages are VERY common and some women don't even know they've had one. They just think they're period is late and when they start bleeding it's a miscarriage and not they're period, though they don't know this.
The doctor I had was a woman and she was very sympathetic and told me that this was not my fault and there was nothing that could have prevented this. She said it was probably just a fetal abnormality and that it was Nature's way of taking care of it. She said she's seen mother's who are cocaine addicts who carry full term and do not have miscarriages......so it's definitely nothing that we have done.

Take care,

Nicole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:26 pm 

Hi - I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I just had a miscarriage myself so I know what you are feeling, only when I found out about my miscarriage, that was the same time I found out I was pregnant. It was a very sad day for my husband and I! I know it is a hard time in your life right now - if you need someone to talk to you can always email or pm me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:55 pm 

Thanks Jamie and I'm really sorry for your loss as well. It seems like so many other women have gone through this. Do you know how far along you were?
I still have to go for another ultrasound in a week and I had another blood test done last Friday and my hormone level was down to 410....the nurse said it takes a while to get right down to 0 becasue I didn't have a D&C.

I hope you're feeling better and wish you the best of luck with your next pregnancy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:27 pm 

I am so sorry for your loss. I suffered two miscarriages before my current pregnancy which I am now 35 weeks along. My first was a very early miscarriage and my second was at about 8 1/2 weeks along so I understand what you are going through. With the second we had been on fertility drugs in order to get pg so it was emotionally very painful. It took about another 9 months and more fertility drugs to get pregnant a 3rd time but it did happen so I'm sure you will get pregnant again. I know it's not much comfort right now. Just know you are not alone in your feelings of loss and that you have a right to grieve. My thoughts are with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:33 pm 

Thanks Denise.....that must have been really hard for you having two miscarriages. Will this be your first baby?
It's funny in the sense that it seemed like forever for me to get pregnant with my son, about a year and a half. We were not on any fertility drugs. With this pregnancy I just lost, it just happened so quickly and it was actually surprise for both of us.

Good luck with your upcoming labour&delivery and for a healthy baby!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:51 pm 

My thoughts are with you, I hope you are ok. I don't know if this will be of any help to you, and I am not saying it is or should be a replacement, but it is perfectly healthy and ok to start trying to conceieve again as soon as you fell ready, if you want to. I hope you feel better soon, though I know it's not easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:24 pm 

Hi,

Well I didn't want to keep this thread going too much longer but just as a follow-up to all of this....
I am still bleeding!!!! I have had bleeding since January 1st, and I am still bleeding today. It really slowed down and almost completely stopped last week and then it started up again, almost like a period.
I am wondering if this may be my period??
I went to see a gynecologist last week who said I had completed the miscarriage and that a normal period would start in about 6 wks!?!?!

Well, it's not been six wks since the bleeding from the miscarriage has stopped. So I'm confused. I really just want to stop bleeding because this whole process has been very difficult for me and has made me feel so weak physically.