Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I think we've done it!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:34 pm 

Well it's official. Hannah latched on to BOTH breasts. I had almost given up for a while there, stopped pumping and everything. It was getting to be too much, and not having anyone to watch her while I pumped made it almost impossible to do when I should have been doing it. I thought I'd give it one more try, and lo and behold, she latched!

SO now that I know she CAN do it, I just have to get her to get used to feeding on the breast. I'm a bit worried about my milk supply though...she only gets mabey 5-10 mins on each breast a day so far, and I can tell she isn't gettin much, I stopped pumping almost a week ago now, and although I have been expressing a small amount every day I know it's probably not enough. Or is it? When does your milk dry up? I have NO idea but now that she can latch on it would be such a kick in the butt for it to dry up :(

I hope this works out though! I've got my gramma, aunt, and now my dad (go figure) pestering me about it. They have no idea how depressed I was getting about not being able to do it and how much I wanted to do it! I really didn't need anyone to say anything about it I felt bad enough as it was! My stupid aunt: "How can you give her that chemical crap? I bet you can't even pronounce whats in it!" "You are what you eat!" "go upstairs and try! Why not???" Then on top of that she gives me nipple cream! AAAAGGHHHH!!!! :x

But today I got some encouragement. My Mom was excited when I told her and my doctor (bless his heart) who is usually quite impersonal and distant got very excited when I told him that she latched on "Good for you, you kept on it! Alot of mothers just give up." That cheered me up.

I never thought it would be so hard, and depressing, and frustrating to try and breastfeed! At least not to me you know? It was one of those things where it happens to other women but not to you! Anyway I just wanted to vent kinda. Wish me luck! I pray this works out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:02 pm 

I was afraid that I was going to have troubles having Hayden latch on.. he seemed to only prefer one side and i was like "So can he just eat on this side?!" and they were like "sure if you want to be lopsided"

it's a lot of work breastfeeding, but once i got the hang of it.. its so easy to do, except when youre out a lot.

the problem i had is that noone can watch Hayden without me because he wouldn't eat from a bottle... now that was the pain for me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:43 am 
Thats great Kayla! I am so happy for you.
And you tell your Aunt that some people really can't do it, and that Formula fed babies turn out just fine. Look how well Lily is doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:19 am 

Your supply should o back up. See if you can't get her nursing every hour. Just to get your supply up. and five to ten minutes is good on each side. My doctor believes 90% - 95% of your supply they get in the first five minutes. and if her diapers are wet you will know she's getting enough.
Payton has a side too. She hates the left. LOves the right. at night to go to bed I start her on the left and she fights me but we do it for five minutes then I switch her to the right. That's the side she will fall asleep on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:42 pm 

Thanks guys. Yea at first (in the hospital) she would only take my right, that is when she did latch (so like once or twice LOL) but now I think it's pretty even. Yea Krissi Lily is doing GREAT so I don't know what her flippin problem is. She is so stuck up! :roll: Besides, Hannah's daddy was adopted, and thus formula fed as well.

As of right now I'll put on her on the breast for as long as she'll go without flipping out (She is SO impatient!) then I'll give her a bottle of formula. She's just gotta get more used to it, and I've just gotta get my supply up enough for her to actually get somthing substantial, then eventually I can cut the formula out. So I guess I'm lucky, cause if this does work out, she'll take breast and bottle just fine. Woohoo!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:37 pm 

Feels great doesn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:14 pm 
wow! congradulations kayla!!!! im proud of you for keeping up with it! noit a lot of people would have!! good for you!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:02 pm 

I am breastfeeding too!! It is very frusterating sometimes but it has gotten better. Stick with it. Jadyn likes the right side so much more than the left. I think it lets down quicker and she is impatient. Sometimes it helps if right after she is latched on to the left side massaging my breast from the top down to the nipple to encourage the milk to let down. Sometimes she still gets frantic and screams but it has helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:22 pm 

Hmm I wonder if the left side taste different. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:58 pm 

lol Jenna! Yea I am pretty relived that it is starting to look up! Thanks Melisa! And Marianne, I'll try that! Haven't heard from you in a while, how are things goin with you and Jadyn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:05 pm 

Maybe's it's like chocolate milk and plain milk. LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:33 pm 

1. Hooray for Hannah!

IMO, your best bet for reboosting your supply, and increasing your chance of successfully breastfeeding from this point forward... lies in an SNS (aka a lactation aid). >> http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/5.html because it's explained in a zillion less words than I'd use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:14 pm 

I love the picture with the rose by the babies nose, although they are all beautiful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:07 am 

Very adorable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:53 am 

I know I am a few days late in responding... but congratulations!! Good for you and good for Hannah. She will adjust quickly! (*Maybe she already has??) When Jake was first born and he wasn't patient enough to eat my doctor told me to pump first (I know...the dreaded PUMP) to get the milk flowing and then let him eat. That way he would get milk right away and wouldn't have to wait. I usually just started him on one side while pumping on the other side at the same time. This seemed to make the milk let down faster. (But I have four hands so this was easy to do :D ) It didn't take long at all for him to get the hang of it!

I also agree with Jenna that your supply will adjust to what ever Hannah wants to eat. Try giving her a small bottle first and then nursing her, maybe then she won't be as impatient because she will have some food in her belly.
Anyways, congrats on not giving up!