Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is It Just A Phase?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:34 pm 

Hi,

My son who is turning two next month is going through a real "mommy" phase. This has been going on for a few months now and I am wondering when he will get out of this because it's leaving his dad feeling prettty left out sometimes.
My husband has always given Alex his evening bath and a bedtime story just so they could have there own time together and to bond since Alex was a few weeks old. The last little while all he does is cry for me to do EVERYTHING.......it's exhausting because I really look forward to a little break when my husband gets home.
I work only a few mornings a weeks so I am home most of the time with my son......maybe he is spending too much time with me.

It's to the point where my husband can't even turn around and look at Alex in the car when we are going somewhere without Alex getting mad.
Alex will also try to push his dad off the bed if he comes to join us when I am reading a story.

What should we do........should we discipline him for this behaviour......give him a time-out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:07 am 

Hi Nikki,

Oh dear, I can understand your concerns... but I am sure it is only a stage that they go through. My DS#2 is also a real mommy's boy - also to the extent that Erich (DH) is not allowed to go fetch him from his cot in the evenings. But we just keep on doing things they way we would normally. Erich would fetch him even though he would put up a fuss and it only lasted about two weeks. Try and keep your husban included - hopefully his feelings wont be too hurt.

Wishing you all the best

Lopke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:49 am 

Hi Nikki.

The term 'mommy's boy' is really what you are experiencing at this time.

I have a son 16 and daughter 25. My son at this time, is a great protector of me. He is always wanting to know where I am going, what I am doing, who I am with. It is not annoying, because he understands his role as a male at this age.

Boys at a particular age, have a special relationship with their mother. The same for father and daughter. In the animal world, the male has territories and protects the female and her young. Any other male is seen as a threat. This is the same with sons and fathers. They both by nature love mummy the female. And both will protect her. However, there will be rivalry.

Naturally, you see your son as 'only two'. And you are not expecting him to react like this with you. However, as LopkeD as stated, your husband has to be involved regardless.

Your husband, must not show that he is losing. Children can be very determined to get what they want. I have known children to separate parents due to their own selfishness. Remember children are self centered, they do things for their own self gratification.

Both you and your husband, have to make your son see that you are the force in the home. Both of you, give him all the love he needs. Make him see that you share everything together. Get dad to make more time with him. Go places with him etc.

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:18 pm 

Hey,

My husband does actually spend a lot of time with my son, especially on weekends. He'll take Alex to McDonalds for breakfast and let me sleep in, take him to see his grandma, etc, etc......just the two of them.
I have noticed in the last week or so Alex seems to be calming down and not getting so jealous of my husband.

Thanks for your responses :D