Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jarred baby food
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:36 pm 

I am a new mom. I gave birth to my son December 30th of 03. Anyway I was reading another message board and another new mom started giving her baby - jarred baby food at 4 months. I am anxious to start my son on new foods, but I'm not sure if 4 months is too soon. we have tried rice cereal and he LOVES it!...If 4 months is too soon, how old should he be before I start new food? TIA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:28 pm 

My daughters doctor said to start the cereal at four months. You should introduce each of the single grained cereals for 3-5 days at a time and work on making it slightly thicker as the month progresses. At five months, he told me to start the jar baby food. You should introduce the veggies of the same color first for 3-5 days each. Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:21 pm 

Thank you Megan's mom - that does help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:11 pm 

I started my DD on solids at 4 months of age, start off for about a week or two on cereal, rice or oatmeal. If baby can handle rice then good, it made my DD extremely constipated so she had to do oatmeal. Then I started her on fruits and veggies. Some babies are reluctant to try veggies after trying fruit first so it's up to you but a lot of doctors feel that since babies have a natural taste for sweetness then fruits first are fine and veggies can follow in later weeks. If you're persisten in trying veggies, then eventually they will like them. Don't give up after one time if they act like they don't like it, be persistent and try that same veggie again in a few days, after about 5-10 times baby will like it. That is anytime even if you try veggies first without fruits. Be persisten, studies show babies favor a food after being exposed to it 10 times or more. It takes a while, it's new for baby but after a while your little one will be chomping down on everything. I got lucky my DD took to cereal, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, peaches, prunes, green beans, peas...etc. with ease...of course she is 5 months old and weighs 17 pounds too! LOL! She eats everything! Also, if baby seems like he/she is having trouble digesting solids, giving them prune/apple juice is OK, mix equal parts juice and water and baby will poo in no time. My doctor said it's fine to give baby watered down juice at 4 months and gradually lessen the amoutn of water, at 6 months they can have striaght juice, but no more than 6 oz a day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:09 pm 

Wow Imele ~ thank you so much for all the valueable information! I honestly had no idea about the juice and water! Thank you so much for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:06 pm 

That's awesome info!