Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:00 pm 

Hi,
I was hoping some of you might have an opinion which would be better
car for a family car with a small baby. It is hard to decide.
Also which type of upholstery to choose. Velour or leather.
Is one better than the other when comes to cleaning after
baby's mishaps? and how aobut general comfort of sitting
and driving?

thaks for the feedback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:25 pm 

I know someone who bought a Jetta and they are quite small, not a lot of room to move around in. The Passat on the other hand is a lot more roomier but it all depends on your budget. The Passat is more expensive.

It's all up to you what type of interior you want to get....I don't think one is better than the other if you have children.

Don't worry so much about things, just relax and enjoy your pregnancy and everything will fall into place. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:21 am 

Thank you Nikki,
I know I should relax but I this is my first pregnancy and first everything so although I would like to take it easy I am afraid to make mistakes.
The difference betweent the two cars is sagnificant and also the upgrade to leather is expensive so I would rather not do it if people think it does not make much sense. I don't know either car personally so I have no idea and you know how it is, when you go to the dealership of course they will push you to most expensive car with most options.

so that is why I asked hoping that more people will share with me on it. For now I am driving a small old car with a cloth seats and when shampoo it than the smell and dampness stays around for a while, I have no experience with leather and I am afraid it will scratch by kids but I think it would be easier to just wipe off... but than again no idea.

so that is why I am thorn apart I would not spend extra money if somebody would tell me for sure that I could go with jetta and cloth
but I really don't know

car is very expensive and I am sure it will have to last for at least 10 years so I don't want to make mistake

I would really apreciate all advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:05 pm 

You're right leather would be easier to wipe off if you have a spill and my friend also got the heated leather seats which are nice in the winter.
If you do go for leather go for a lighter colour that will not heat up so much in the summer. I also noticed that having tinted windows ( which we have) in our Accord really block a lot of the sun out and heat.
The only downside to leather may be that it could get a tear or rip in it easier with your child's toys, etc.....I'm just speculating.

Someone else mentioned if you go for the cloth seats just put a towel down in the back and that will make your life so much easier when it comes to cleaning up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:01 pm 

Hi, Just had to say although I have not a bit of experiance with either of those vehicles, I would suggest the larger one provided you have done your research on the car and find it to your liking. One thing I have found is that the more room you have the better when it concerns a new baby. You will be hauling things, riding in the back yourself on occasion, and you want to have room to move.
My family has totally outgrown cars..lol There will be 6 of us once this new little one comes.
My opinion on the leather vs. cloth is that leather is more worrysome than cloth. You are more likely to have a problem with its temp. tears, any spill will run back into the creases and it is not as durible over all. With cloth you can always wash it, cover it with seat covers that would look tacky on leather, not worry about tears, no overheating problems and just overall better for kids in my opinion, Less Stress!
You will forever be hauling toys, gifts, baby things and anything else you might buy... so factor in the trunk space too...lol
Good luck and congratulations!