Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Should I try to have her vaginally if I go into labor on my own?
Poll ended at Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:58 am
Yes, try vaginal birth 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
No, definitely go for a c-section 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:47 am 
I am 38 weeks and 2 days and was told on 6/28 that my baby girl was 9lbs 6oz by ultrasound(and growing everyday!). I am 1cm dilated, 50% effaced, and she is fully engaged at 0 station. I am concerned about having a natural birth with her size... the doctors have talked about shoulder dystocia and have offered me a c-section. They won't schedule the c-section until next Wednesday, 39 weeks, but I am afraid of going into labor before then and my baby getting into crisis. I'm also scared of the c-section in general. Any help or suggestions????

Post subject: Large birth weight baby
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:12 pm 

I thought I would let you know I have a good friend they just told the same thing. She went ahead and had a vaginal birth. The baby was only 7lbs. 6ozs. so, the ultrasound isn't always accurate. I hope all goes well and best luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:42 pm 

Most people that I know who were told what their child weighed was always off. The children ended up weighing less than predicted. My dd was said to be around 6lbs and she wasn't even 5lbs. If it was me, I would try vaginally, then if it wasn't working then you have the backup of the c-section. I have never had nor never will have a vaginal delivery so I can't compare, but I think I would much rather have one than c-sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:54 pm 

Hi,

Well my son weighed more than expected, I was 6 days overdue and scheduled for an inducement. My water ended up breaking the morning before I was supposed to get induced. I was on pitocin for 14 hrs and was not progessing well and in a lot of pain since the epidural only froze one side of my body........at that time because of complications and my baby's heartrate actually stopping during some contractions, they decided to do an emerg. c-sec. My son weighed 9lbs, 7oz and I'm pretty small. The funny thing was that everyone told me I was going to have a small baby just because I didn't look that big and my obgyn told me my baby would be in the high 7's or low 8's,.......so you just never know.
If there are no complications during labour, you might as well try vaginally. But if the baby is big they will probably have to cut you or you may tear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:38 am 

My brother weighed 10lbs 11 oz. He was a big one! (Biggest in the hospital!!!) But, my mom went vaginal, and had not problems. It may hurt a little bit more, but a C-section? I would wait and find out. If you need one, have one. The scars are so low these days. You cannot even see them when wearing a bikini. I wouldn't plan on going in there and having one, it may be easier than you are anticipating! Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:18 am 

Hello- I just wanted to let you know that ultrasounds arent that really reliable on predicting weight. Sometimes they are, most times they arn't. I am 17 and I have a 5 month year old daughter. When I came close to my due date, they predicted her to only weigh 6lb. and some odd oz. Any ways, when she was born she weight a good 8lbs. 1oz. That was in my case, I have a friend in your position where the doctors told her that the baby is close to 10 lbs. and after a long and dificult c-section the baby weighs only 7 4oz. Yeah-BIG difference. If I was in your situation try it vaginally-YOU CAN DO IT! C-section is 100 times more painful recovery then vaginally...Good Luck to you and your pregnancy!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:51 am 

My first son was 8pounds 8ounces and my second was 7pounds 3 ounces. And he hurt me more than my first one. The bigger babies to me slide out more better. It only took me 2 pushes with my first. But with my second I lost count. I wish you all the luck in the world. When you are pregnant we all go through the fear of labor and pushing. It is normal. You will be fine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:38 pm 

maile was 10 pounds and I had a cross section c section because of her weight and the fact she didnt want to come out. i delivered at 41 weeks and i wanted a c section

Post subject: Don't stress!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:04 pm 

My personal beleif is that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle, and there were no ceasareans years ago! I think doctors tend to not realize how much our bodies can handle. My birthing instructor agrees firmly with me on this. My advice? Always get as many opinions as you can, and never just take your doctor's word. Get other doctor's advice. And don't worry! I will pray for the safe delivery of your baby :)

--Allie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:58 pm 
Hey, just thought Id post this. LOL.. I got an ultrasound done at 33 weeks and they told me my little girl was already 6lbs.. There expecting her to be over 9lb if I go full 40 weeks, so there thinking about inducing me at 38 weeks. Im not to worried though, because Ive talked to ALOT of people and they all sayed that they were told they were going to have 9,10lb babies and they came out to be 6,7lb babies, so I dont know how well I trust the ultrasounds. LOL..but we'll see=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:30 pm 

What about this I went 3 weeks ago this coming Friday and they told me that she was about 3 1/2lbs, and on target for me to be at 31-32 weeks, and then I went this past Monday the 21st and he measured and said that he thought she was at 6 lbs. almost double her weight in 2 1/2 weeks. and then he wants me in there for another ultrasound on Apr 4th so make sure that he's findings are correct, I don't think ultrasounds are that accurate, i can't believe that she can double her weight in 2 1/2 weeks and then myself only gain 1 lbs in 3 weeks??????

I think I will have to be sooner than what they are saying.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:39 pm 

No one ever told me how much my baby weighed or anything... my doctor could hardly tell me if he thought the baby was head down! He was like "I think so" l mean... ok that's not cool. I would always try for a V delivery.. healing is easier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:47 pm 

My babies have all been big 8lb the smallest right through to 10lb 7 oz and2ft long at the largest and we've never really had any problems. I have what is refered to as a bucket pelvis ie it is very wide.would not suggest vaginal birth for big baby if you are nervous thou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:34 am 

hi i have just had a baby myself, a girl, she was a week early and weighed 9lb 11oz i had no problems at all. i also have a son who weighed 9lb 12oz and had no problems with him. my friends have had small babies and have had nothing but trouble, i find that bigger babies are a lot quicker and help themselves out but every body is different. i would advise a vaginal birth because the experience is unlike anything else you will go through. don't worry just see how you feel at the time :D good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 pm 

I'm new to this community.
I'm still 21 and unmarried. It is good to have received so much information from the conversation you all have had. Thank you very much for all the information.