Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Leg pains!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:37 am 

Hi, I have a question or two and need some help before i see my doctor on Thursday!! First off so no one gets confused the reason i need help before i see my Doctor is because he's german and so when I tell him whats going on I need to have some idea instead of being like um dont know just have some pains in my leg!! :lol: Ok so heres my story:
About a week or two ago i started having pains in my left leg. If it was a muscle pain if would hurt on my back calf but instead it hurts in the front where the bone is (sorry don't know what every part of my leg is called :lol: ). And the other place i get pains is at the VERY top of my leg where it's bent around the pubic area or so!! My mom thought i needed to drink more calcium, but then i was reading in the book "what to expect when expecting" and it talks about the same pains i'm having and that the best way to lay is on your side cause on your back your leg will hurt more and then i relized that when it hurts the most and wakes me from sleep i'm on my back with HORRIBLE pains and that these things fall under the category of having a blood clot in my leg and that i would need medication to get rid of it! So now that i've rambled heres my question!!
Do you think its i need calcium or if it might be a blood clot???
Again sorry i've rambled so much just needed a little advice. Thanks so much in advance for ANY advice.
Thanks

Post subject: Leg Pains!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:45 am 

By your user name I guess that you are linked to the armed forces, please go to your GP as soon as possible having pains in your lower leg that extend to your upper leg could be an indication of a blood clot.. i do not want to scare you but please see a medical professional as soon as you can and If he/she does not speak very good english then demand to find somebody who can understand you. I had a clot in my left leg was told had I moved around that the clot could have dislodged and caused a stroke or worse.. these symptoms are not to be ignored , I hope it is nothing as serious and you get some relief soon, good luck xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:21 am 

Thanks for your reply. I have an Appt this Thursday so i'll ask then. I have to see a German Doctor (note i'm in Germany :lol: ) and the american ones on base won't have anything to do with pregnant people because their stupied and don't know anything or have any equipment!! I'm thinking its gotta be a blood clot or something because i'll be like walking in my house and take a step and I get this horrible sharp pain i guess and i have to stay completely still till it goes away because its just to painful!! I mean walking down steps or to the car is a challenge and I look funky when my leg gets the pain and i about fall to the floor!! In the book it said a blood clot can be cured with medication is that true?? Or is it a little more serious?? All i need is for something else to go wrong when my Dh isn't even around right now!! Any more advice you might have will be GREATLY appreciated and thanks again for replying!
Tara

Post subject: Leg pain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:21 pm 

Is the spot were it hurts the most swollen or hot to the touch? If so that is a way you can tell if it is a blood clot. That is a dangerous situation with being pregnant. Stay off you feet if you can. Be carefully. I hope all goes well.

Post subject: take care
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:22 pm 

hey maybe I dont know what I am talking about, but I read that pain in your leg is common. I have it really bad, and its called something like Scatia, not sure, but I guess the only thing is to not sit to long or stand up to long. which doesnt make sense, and with everything lying on your left side should help. yeah. it hurts so bad, I felt like it was my entire leg, I barely was able to walk. if anything just to make sure I'd go to the doctor anyways. My husbands in the military too, fortunately we are in ft. stewart right now, I really dont want to be overseas i like the states :) I hope you feel better, take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:45 pm 

Sciatica has nothing to do with being preggie, and is, in fact, a spinal problem (pressure on the sciatic nerve). Just wanted to clear that up. And, as the way you spelled it doesn't present any google results, I'm guessing that you meant what I just explained.

As for the leg pain, while I do know someone who had a blood clot during pregnancy, I have also heard that leg pains are pretty common during it. I haven't even gained much weight yet, but my calves hurt for a week, and now my knees are hurting.
I don't know if I'm allowed to point to other sites, but this one gives some info on leg pain while preg:
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregna ... h/250.html

(Sorry, mods, you can edit that out if you wish)

I wouldn't do the stretches on there until after you rule out the chance of bloodclot, though

Also, and I can't stress this enough, you HAVE to be able to communicate with your DR! I would look into finding one who speaks better english.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:50 am 

I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say that pregnancy does effect the sciatic nerve. It's caused by the enlarging uterus putting pressure on the nerve and they say to lay on the opposite side of the pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:20 am 

Just wanted to say that my siatic nerve was tottaly affected before during and after my pregnancy. I have always had problems with my nerve but when I got pregnant IT GOT TO A POINT WHAT I COULDNT WALK!!! As I got bigger it got worse...just to "clear that up"....I felt like I had a knife being jammed down my back of my hip area. The pain would shoot down into my right leg. This is also very common among pregnancies also! I suggest you visit your dr. and get this figured out!!!! Your dr. would be able to tell you whats going on better than any of us!!!!

-Good Luck!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:53 am 

well, yeah, I spelt it wrong, whatever, well I know that it doesnt only happen when you are pregnant, but it happens often, I had read it at babycenter on yahoo, anyways going to doctor will clarify all of that. just trying to help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:56 pm 

Thank you to all of you SO much for all the responses! I have my doctors appt tomorrow and i'm gonna take in my what to expect when expecting book so that if the doctor doesn't understand what i'm talking about he can read it and hopefully figure out whats wrong. If I lay on either side it relives some pain but it doesn't go away just lying on my back make it a million times worse. I don't think it has to do with a muscle because for one I don't think i've done anything that could possibly pull it and where it hurts on both parts of my leg its not near the surface and i've treid have DH rubbed my leg but it doesn't do anything and he can't even find the spot so... I"m 6 months pregnant and have only gained 8 pounds so i don't understand how all the sudden the weight would start affecting my legs but I could be completely wrong! I treid taking a pretty warm shower a couple days ago trying if it was a muscle thing it might help and loosen it up a little but it went in to that horrible pain and I couldn't let the water touch my leg for a few minutes! Thanks again SO MUCH for all your responses and i'll let you know what happens tomorrow!
Tara

Post subject: Leg pains
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:42 pm 

How was your appointment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:25 am 

Hey, Thanks VAL for being concerened and wondering how the appt went!!! The appt went good and of course the pain in my leg went away the day before and hasn't hurt since. SO when I went I for sure couldn't try and tell him where the pain was so he said it was probley a muscle or something and that if it starts again to this time call him. I guess for some reason walking up three stories of stairs ( gotta love the third floor) a million times a day finally caught up with me and started hurting but its better now so thats all that matters! Thanks again so much for asking!
Tara

Post subject: Leg Pains
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:55 am 

:D So glad every thing went well ! Walking up 3 flights of stairs would have anybody hurting for days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:44 pm 

Glad your appt went well... Just so you know leg pain IS common in pregnancy. I got the WORSE charlie horses when i was pregnant they were AWFUL!!!