Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:28 am 

But I was wondering how many of you had a c-section and how long you waited till you got preggo again? And did you need another c-section. I was told by doctors that I should wait atleast a year after a c-section to have another baby because it does lower the chances of having another one. I SO DON"T WANT ANOTHER ONE!!!!! My hubby and I were gonna wait on having another baby incase by some REALLY BAD chance things go wrong again the army will pay for my never ending doctors bills since we were getting out of the army, but dh and me decided to go ahead and stay in for four more years since dh has a good chance of being called back in. Well with this decision dh and I decided what once I get off atleast 40 pounds and if I really need to wait a year then we could start trying again around august which is when I had my last child. I'm SOO excited to have the option of trying and all and I WON"T get preggo unless an accident happens until I loose some weight.
I just don't really want a c-section and if theirs any possible way around it i would LOVE TO hear how long you gurls waited.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:01 am 

I've never heard of having to wait a certain length of time after one c-section before getting pregnant again. But I guess it would make sense and be better for you to wait at least a year, so that you don't have any complications or tears if you do attempt a VBAC...vaginal birth after a c-section.
Talk to your doctor about wanting to conceive again and how long you should wait and also discuss your birthing options.
I think if you want to have a successful VBAC, you may want to consider a mid-wife, you will probably get more support. It all depends on why you got your c-section in the first place.....did you have complications??

Also, research as much as you can about VBACS. Do a google search on them and educate yourself, that way you increase your chance of having one successfully and you will be prepared.

Good luck with your decision.

PS. I had a c-section with my son, and when I got pregnant again (I miscarried), I was also considering a VBAC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:42 am 

You might want to make sure that your doctor will even do VBACs. Some don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:45 am 

I was never told to wait a certain amount of time. I think they say women should wait a year after any pregnancy so that there bodies have a chance to 'get back to normal'. I've read a lot that VBAC's are generally safe, but it all depends on the person. If your doctors allow them then they will examine you to decide if it's ok for you or not. Were I live doctors don't do VBAC's. I've read it mainly has to do with malpractice suits. They went up in the 90's so most drs. would rather go the safer route then take a chance of something happening. I know your're not there yet but after each delivery the dr. will tell you how much scar tissue you have from the last and that makes a difference too for how many kids you should have. I think my dd was 15mos when I got preg. my 2nd time. I had complications at delivery and had additional surgery and still had no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:50 am 

That's why it may be better to find a mid-wife.
Here in Canada, I think most doctors will do a VBAC, but they will look at your situation first, and look at why you had a c-section in the first place. With any high-risk factors involving a pregnancy, a c-section is sometimes the safer route and the doctor also wants to limit his liability, because you'd be surprised how many doctors are sued for medical malpractice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:53 am 

Momof2-- I guess I was typing my post as you just finished typing yours.
Because you basically said the same thing... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:10 pm 

Hey Nikki, thanks for reply.
I had a c-section due to having a way underweight baby, I was only 27 weeks along, and his heart weight was dropping and their was NO way he would survive a vaginal birth.
Depending where the egg attatches determines ALOT in my next pregnancy. I have a heart shaped unerus and if it attatches to the side then the baby would get the things he needs but still might need to be born early if the egg attaches on the septum again then the chances are pretty good that things could get ugly again and i would need a c-section.
I'm starting to think though that no matter what I do i'm gonna need a c-section because of my unterus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:13 pm 

LOL i started typing this post and then stopped when dh came home for dinner.
THey still want me to do a HSG but with being on the shot I don't have periods and for the HSG they want you to come in 7-10 days after you start your period. So after this shot thing ends i'm gonna go on something else so that i'll be able to do the HSG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:32 pm 

Armywife- I wish you the best of luck with your next pregnancy and I hope everything works out ok.
Whatever is best for the health and safety of your baby, and of course yourself, is all that matters when it comes time to deliver your next baby. That's all that matters.

Believe me, I didn't want a c-section with the birth of my son either, but once I found out his heart rate was dropping, I didn't care anymore....I just wanted the best for him, and for him to be healthy and safe. And if I was ever in the same situation again, I would have a c-section in a minute because I have heard of some horror stories with vaginal births too, and VBACS.
My hubby, who has access to QuickLaw (its a legal database in Canada) found an obstetrician (whom I was considering), had been sued years ago . It was a vaginal delivery and the doctor had continually used a vaccum extractor/suction cup to try and remove the baby......well the baby ended up with all sorts of problems, which were alleged to have been caused by the negligence of the doctor delivering.
The scary thing is that this doctor is still practicing and who would ever know this unless you had access to this legal database.
Now, anytime I'm considering a doctor, we first look them up on the College of Physicians and Surgeons website (Canada), and then my husband checks QuickLaw for me to see if they've ever been sued for medical malpractice. The only time you wouldn't see them there is they had settled the case out of court and paid the patient off to protect their name and reputation.
You'd be surprised what you can find out about doctors :shock: