Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Midwife vs. Doula
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:02 pm 

Has anyone heard of or had an experience with a Doula? What about a midwife? I really wanted a midwife but due to circumstances have ended up with a doctor that doesn't allow them. I was thinking a Doula, which he will allow, would be a compromise to the situation. Just wondering if anyone out there had had a good or bad experience with or without either a midwife or a doula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:22 pm 

I'm getting the services of a doula free through my midwife because she is still in training. I've only heard good things about them. They are there only to support and take care of you!! If you need another pillow, a cold cloth for your head, or just some comforting words, thats what she is there for. I'm using a midwife and not a doctor so my situation is a little different than yours. I will let you know how the doula worked out after my birth! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:07 pm 
Well im not out to try and sound stupid, but what is a doula or a midwife? ive never heard of either one of them before :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:07 pm 

A midwife is someone who delivers your baby and has the credentials to do so but is not a doctor. They are supposed to take more time with you and be more focused on you. Usually they deliver low-risk pregnancies with people who don't want pain medication. Doula's are supposed to be a support through pregnancy. They are said "to mother the mother" they do massage, position changes, and other techniques to lessen pain.
Here is a link:
http://www.midwifeanddoula.com/foundations.htm
hope it helps!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:21 pm 
wow, i didnt know that there were such things out there... thank you, that was enlightening!! :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:31 pm 

Hi my name is Tosha and my second little boy was born by a midwife. The difference is a midwife is there the whole time. But with a doctor he is called at the last minute when the head is right there. Which is very painfull! With a midwife when you feel the urge to push you do not have to wait. I would recommend it for everyone!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:55 pm 

Good for you Jaymmie!!! I think we moms who are using/have used midwives need to get the word out!! Many woman don't know what they are or have very little information on them. Yet so many woman would benefit and appreciate using one!! I'm having my baby at home, in a tub of warm water with dim lights, soothing music and the people I love around me. My husband gets to catch the baby after the head comes out and they won't take him (the baby) away after he comes out!! They want us to bond as a family right away! Midwives in most states must go through the same training nurses do and also specialize in labor/birth. They are very educated and capable. They honestly know more about delivering babies than doctors do!! I'm very thankful that I get to use one!! Here's a link to the midwife I'm using so you can check it out.
www.southcoastmidwifery.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:59 am 

Also what I like about a midwife is no iv's. I do not like them. So that is another good thing besides they are there with you the whole time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:04 am 

I have two children and I had midwives with both pregnancies. I feel that having a midwive is alot more personel and one on one. My midwives checked me althru my pregnancies and was there from the moment I went in to labour till the birth and then 6 weeks after the birth. It is a great experience and when I have another baby I will have a midwife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:20 am 
how would i go about finding a midwife? and like are they lik doctors and charge out the butt for their "fine services" lol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:59 pm 

I found a website for you!! http://www.midwife.org/find/ over 4,000 CNMs (certified Nurse Midwives) are listed here and you can find the one nearest you. My midwife accepts medi-cal and private insurances. She also costs more than a 1/3 less than the hospital costs I've heard other girls talk about. It's a win/win situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:54 pm 

I have my first appt. Nov. 2nd with a midwifery clinic at the hospital. I was originally going to with my normal ob-gyn, but my husband and I weren't comfortable with his 30% C-section rate. A friend of mine recommended it. They sound great, I like the option to have an epidural if I need one, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:02 am 

Thanks for all of the info. I have decided to go with my instinct on this one and go to a different hospital where I will have the baby with a midwife, not a doctor. I have yet to hear of anyone who used a midwife having a bad experience. I feel really good about making the decision to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:12 pm 

I'm really happy for you Denise!! I think it's a great decision!! As soon as I have my baby (he's a bit stubborn and hasn't come out yet) I'll let you all know how my birth was. I'll be glad when I have the experience behind me and can talk about exactly what the midwife did.