Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:48 pm 

Hi,

I think you had mentioned before that you had two caesarean sections, right? With your first, and then your second?

I'm now leaning towards a planned c-sec for this one and not a VBAC.
I was just wondering how you managed with a toddler after the surgery and if you had any tips or pointers to make life a little easier.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:39 pm 

My mom came up to help me with my 2nd but I really only needed help the first couple nights. The main problem I had with the surgery was after being in the same position during the night I had trouble getting up so she was there to help then. (My husband was working) It really wasn't too bad though. I walked around the house a lot. The longer I sat the harder it was to move. At the time my dd was actually pretty good/well behaved. She's just now REALLY showing the terrible 2's. The only real trouble I had was my dd wanting me to pick her up, her trying to jump onto my lap, or climb up me. I let her know mommy had an owie and she sort of understood. She loves to be read to so we read books together on the couch all the time. She really became daddy's girl during this time. I also asked her to help a lot, which she LOVED doing. At the hospital we gave her a present so she didn't feel left out. Also her bday was the day after I came home from the hospital so she had some new things to keep her interested in for awhile when I couldn'g get down on the floor to play with her. During my pregnancy we talked to her alot about what was going on and what was going to happen to prepare her. I really believe in explaining things to your kids because you'd be surprised at what they understand. I think I've rambled and really didn't have much to offer. For me it wasn't too bad. I think my morning sickness with a toddler was the worst. Good luck w/your decision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:02 pm 

Thanks.......I feel a bit better.
Did your daughter ever accompany you to your checkups to hear the heartbeat, etc? I think I may bring Alex to a few of my appts.
He already knows I have a 'baby in my belly' and every time he sees a baby anywhere he says "mommy have baby in belly" so he kind of understands but then he says he has a baby in his belly and daddy has a BIG baby in his belly...lol!

I like the 'present idea' and I think I will do that with Alex so he doesn't feel left out. My grandma also said she would babysit for me so that I could get out and have some alone time with Alex, just me and him.
My husband will also be taking 5 weeks off (vacation time) after the delivery just to help out and my mom will also take a week off to stay at the hospital a night or two.
I also plan to make Alex my little helper and have him be involved as much as possible in the care of his new sibling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:09 pm 

Yes, she went to my appointments. I would tell her we were going to hear the baby's heart and by the end of my pregnancy when I said I had to go to the doctor that day, she would say 'babies heart' and would get excited when she heard it. The nurses were great too because they would talk to her and get her excited about hearing it. She also came to my sonograms. My dd was the same after awhile she had a baby in her belly, daddy had one, & her dolls had one. When possible we go out just the 2 of us and spend most of the day together. You can tell when they need alone time with you. It's cute now because she is starting to wonder why we don't bring the baby. We get in the car and she asks where he is.. like I'm forgeting him.