Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:32 pm 

Rylie , my oldest daughter still sucks her thumb, we have been told " she'll grow out of it" We have tried nasty tasting stuff, band aids, letting her only suck it in a specific room(bedroom) getting tough with her, giving her praise, asking nice. I have talked to her teacher at school and she thinks Rylie may be lacking in self -esteem, it is her right thumb and she is right handed , so it has begun to affect her school work(she can't write assignments with a thumb in her mouth, kind of thing) I wanted to come on here and get some thoughts before I take her in to see our Dr. Thanks in advance!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:41 pm 

Sounds like a self-esteem issue I would check with her school councler as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:51 pm 

My daughter is 16 and still sucks her thumb. She doesn't do it all day and night but if she's sitting home watching tv she does, or if she's going to bed she will. I see nothing wrong with it, it's comforting to her. She sucked her thumb when I carried her in my belly, the doctor showed me on the ultrasound...it was instinct for her to do so. So who am I to stop her from that small pleasure if it makes her happy. I Don't see it as a self esteem issue at all and i'm not sure how anyone could see it as so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:28 pm 

16 and sucking her thumb!!!!!!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:57 pm 

Yes, 16 and still sucking her thumb. I see nothing wrong with it so long as she's not going out in public and doing it. I have known people alot older...in their 20s and 30s who still suck their thumbs when sleeping or alone at home.

Post subject: thumb sucking
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:37 pm 

Have you seen what it can do to their teeth & mouth????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:05 am 

Yes I have and since my daughters teeth and mouth are just fine I am assuming those are cases where the person sucks their thumb frequently.
Like I said She only does it while watching tv or to fall asleep. And my whole point here was that I was just saying I don't think thumb sucking has anything to do with self esteem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:54 am 

I have a friend who both of her boys still do it. One is 20 and the other 11. At first they thought it was do to ADHD but now it is figured that it is a comfort thing. Some people pull at their hair and others may still suck their thumb. She said that she just had to make them understand when they could and could not do it...Out in public or friends over. She also said that one day they would stop but it was up to them to realize what they were still doing. I wouldn't worry so much about it. Just maybe make her know when she can & can't do it.