Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:14 am 

hello, i just join I'm new here, i have a 16mos old son he has slept through the night but some nights he sleeps like from 8:30pm until 12am then back to sleep until about 3 and then he wakes up calling me how can i get him to sleep better at night? we read a book anf then listen to music and then plays alittle bit and then he falls asleep he won't fall asleep unless i'm cuddleing him i can't lay next to him in his bed cause he is in a small bed he didn't like his crib anymore so we got him a toddler bed now he likes to sleep near me sometimes he sleeps pretty good in his playpen but how can i get him to sleep own his on with out being beside me all night :) if anyone can help i need to bad lol i need some more sleep
thanks
Kara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:58 pm 

Hi,

The only thing I can really suggest is to be very consistent. Try to follow the same routine every night when possible and have him sleep in the same place every night.......not in the playpen one night, and his bed the next.
He may have become dependent on you cuddling him to sleep and that's why when he wakes in the night which is normal, he is wondering where you are..............he should by this age be able to comfort himself back to sleep....without you by his side.
If you hear him wake in the night don't go running to him, wait 5 or 10 min. and see if he can get himself back to sleep. If you do have to go to him just rub his back and don't talk to him otherwise you may wake him to the point where he can't get back to sleep.

Also, you can offer him a light snack and drink before bed so that he is not waking up hungry.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:50 am 

I was going to suggest same. does he have a night light? Or a stuffed friend to cuddle? Does he come to you when he wakes?

My daughter is still in her crib. Some nights though, she wakes up like she is frightened and she has always slept through the night. On nights where she acts like I can't leave her, i set up shop on her bedroom floor, next to her crib and she will go back to sleep. often times i fall asleep there and stay all night although that is not my intention. It usually takes only one night of me doing that for her to get back to normal.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:16 am 

hey!
he does have a couple of stuff to cuddle with a dog he loves and a red teddy bear. and yes he does come to me when he wakes up and has a nightlight in his room he has one by his bed and one on the other side of the room . he does now if i put him in his playpen or bed sometimes he will go back to sleep without me but there are times when he won't so it isn't that he can't go back to sleep on his own sometimes he just chooses to be next to me lastnight he didn't sleep to bad he only woke once :) but that changes everynight .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:58 am 

have you noticed if something different happens during the days he wakes and doesn't want to go back to sleep? extra errands that had to be run and he didn't get enough on-the-floor playtime? or maybe he was a little late going down for his nap, slept longer than usual or missed it completely? I've noticed for my daughter that sometimes even the slightest deviation from the norm will upset her normal course.

AND, there is usually once or twice a month where for some reason she just doesn't sleep as much as usual and WILL be up it seems all night or will wake up every hour. On THOSE nights I will sit in the glider with her in her room with the night light on, no chatting, no books, no toys, jsut rocking her until she is either tired enough to go back down or decideds that mommy is being too boring and would rather be in her crib. Even on those "all-nighters" i will wake her at the time she always wakes in the morning (about 7AM) and will put her down at her regular nap times whether she sleeps or not. it might be easier for me to do that though since she is still in a crib. the only time she has slept anywhere except her crib was when we were away and we brought the travel cot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:03 pm 

yeah i do noice little things like that it does sound like him sometimes must the time i try to put him down for a nap around 9 or 11am then again at 2:30 no later then 3pm. there are times when he wakes and don't want to go back to sleep during the day he plays in his room with his toys and has times in the day when i go in and play with him i noice this too with my son , there is usually once or twice a month where for some reason he just doesn't sleep as much as usual and WILL be up it seems all night or will wake up every hour. i have just sat with him at nights when he does this and just fall asleep with him like in the rocker or on the couch he sometimes wakes before 7am but sometimes he wakes up before 7 like 5 or 6am and it is still night time out here lol. but sometimes i noice if i put him down about 9;30pm he will sleep until about 7am i give him a bath around 8:30 or so and we just go in his room and listen to music or just play and rock until he is tired he falls asleep so really i don't know what i can be doing wrong that he will not sleep through the night lol. i have tired everything it seems :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:40 pm 

how long has it been going on? maybe he is getting ready for a big milestone, which is also when I notice my daughter doing things out of the norm.

For you, it maybe that he has gotten used to falling asleep with you in the rocker or on the couch or in the playpen so he's used to getting up. my son was that way for the longest time. it wasnt' until i became more adamant about his schedule that he changed. i had to retrain my self before I could retrain him.

For my daughter, we don't leave her room when she wakes at night. we just sit and rock. and if i feel too tired i get my pillow and blanket and camp out on her bedroom floor so she can see that i am there but i am not holding her asleep. It works for us.

Blue goes to bed at 9:00 PM and will wake somewhere between 6:00 and 7:30 depending on how she is feeling, if she's sick (she's sick now), or if i have to wake her to take my son to school. Then i will put her down for a morning nap around 9 or 9:30 am and again at 3:00 pm. I haven't seen signs yet that she is ready for just one nap a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:00 pm 

-As has been said, do the same thing every night when putting him to bed. If you need to go into his room .. repeat. If you do something like bottle feed, rock, read, or whatever, expect to do that every night.

-Make sure you put him down in his crib when he's tired but awake.

-If he's dependant on a pacifier, you might consider taking it out of the crib once he's asleep so he doesn't wake up when it falls out.

-If all else fails, you might just have a child that will need to be allowed to cry a bit. If you know he's not starving/has a dry diaper/has no other reason to wake, let him go for a little bit. We had to do that with my daughter and were surprised how quickly she settled. She's not 2.25 years old and sleeps wonderfully. When she was 13 months old she woke up as many as five times a night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:42 am 

my son isn't on a bottle orpacifier, i took him of of bothhe gave the pacifier, kinda on his own with alittle help from me . doctor wanted him to be off the bottle . as far as him sleeping we do try our best to keep the same schedule everynight and even naps . and he has been sick too so when he is sick he wants me even more lol. but still he sleeps about the same when he is not sick. i don't know whatelese to do really just keep doind what i been doing maybe he will grow out of it but i thank everyone for the advice he don't sleep in a crib cause he started craweling out of it and the doctor told me to get him a bed to sleep in and even lastnigth he was in our room and still didn;t sleep the night through lol he woke like 2 times i guess he chooses how he wants to sleep at night if he wants to sleep through the night he does if not he will wake i don't know why my son is like that. thank you everyone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:43 am 

it depends on the child. strict consistency sometimes just doesn't work. I know, my son was one of those. Eventually it will work itself out, yes.

Have you tried putting him down for one nap a day instead? maybe he is getting so much sleep/naps in the day, he's not tired enough to sleep at night. My son gave up both his naps around 15 months old, so it is possible.

in any case, I hope that soon you will be able to get some sleep and that your son too will adjust his schedule. until then ((((((HUGS))))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:41 pm 

maybe he takes aleast one nap sense he been sick the the medcine makes him sleepy but yeah maybe he is gaving up his naps today he took a hr nap but i'll have to try just maybe one nap and a short one and see how that goes and then if he still does what he is doing then we will try no naps but he seems tired sometimes and gets so cracky if he don't take a nap so i don't know i'm willing to try anything to this point so i can sleep lol
thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:14 pm 

Hi,

Yeah, two naps a day at 16 mos does sound like a lot......though every child is different.
My son went from two naps to one nap a day at around 13 mos.
Now he is two and still takes one nap a day from 1-3pm, he also goes to bed every night between 8-8:30pm and wakes up around 7-7:30am.
The only time I've noticed my son waking in the night is if he is sick or sometimes he has a nightmare. We just go to him and soothe him, give him a little drink of water or just hold him if he's really sick and he will usually be back to sleep within 15 min or less.

Try one nap a day after his lunch, and like you mentioned before don't let him sleep past 3:30 pm or he'll never want to go to sleep at night.

Good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:56 am 

hi
most of the time when austin is sick he wake up more often, but here latley he just he just acts like he is going to miss something if he goes to sleep cause lastnight it woke like every other hr looking to see where me or my husband was calling us. these sleepless nights are driving me crazy i prob get like 4 hrs sleep at night if that lol. maybe he will grow out of it . i have tried everything everyone's advice on here and he still sleeps about the same i think he he just noisy wants to make sure mom and dad are not leaving him out of anything good i don't know really. i really don't know whatelse to do not that when he goes to sleep that he won't go back to sleep on his own cause most of the time he does sometimes he wants me to pat him back to sleep or lay down with him until he fall sleep but i have tried to let him sleep in th room with us sometimes it works but not all the time . i just hope it is something he grows out of by the time he is 3 or 4 cause i would like to have another baby but with austin acting like this i can't :( but i will try that with his naps and see if that works yesterday he missed his second nap because when his dad is home he won't take a nap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:44 am 

sometimes it takes a week or two for a new schedule to really set in a child (or grown up). Try the one nap a day still and see if that helps. Something else that helped with my son was to make everything we did after he went to bed appear "boring". So we would leave the tv off, we would chat in very low voices, or if we had the tv on, it would be on really soft. Maybe he will decide that since "nothing" is going on, there's no point in getting up for it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:31 am 

thanks, i have to try just one nap but he choose when he wants to take a nap and he took one at 10:30 to 11:30 today . so i will try him on a set schedule everynight and see how it goes i hope it works and he sleeps cause it is geting old him waking up then wanting me or my husband and i have to get up with himm my husband won't get up with him or do anything . he won't even change his diaper and won't gave him a reason why or anything oh well all men aren't alike lol