Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:40 pm 

I think I must be raising a natural vegetarian!!! My 17 month old will rarely eat meat. She used to love meat sticks-no more!! I can only occasionally get her to eat baked chicken. If I give her ketchup or something to dip in-she licks the ketchup from her fingers and thats it. She won't dip the meat in it and eat the whole thing. I'm a little concerned about her getting enough protein. But she's being a very picky eater all the way around right now anyhow. Some days she barely eats anything! Please someone tell me this is perfectly normal and you've been through it too! My nerves are shot when it comes to meal times! There seems to be nothing-except ice cream-that she will eat anytime!
I've started giving her PediaSure in the morning instead of whole milk. Thank goodness she likes THAT!
Thanks for listening.
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:44 pm 

Hey Terri!!
I went actually I am still going through the samething with Mikey. The only mean he really likes is ham or cheesburgers. But I have to say he will put all meat in his mouth everytime I put it in his plate. Then he makes a face and spits it out so I know he really doesn't like it. The doctor said it's fine just keep giving it to him. And I always make sure I make rice and vegtables and I just make him double up on that. This way he gets some good stuff from that. He also is a big yogurt eater so I know he's getting good stuff from that. Your daughter is young I think it's required for them to be picky. LOL!!! Just keep giving it and one day she will just shock you and eat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:01 pm 

Hi,

My son really dislikes meat. Even if I make spaghetti and meatsauce, he will spit the meat out. But funny enough, if I make sloppy joes (mamwich)....it's like spaghetti sauce with bits of green pepper and add that to cooked beef and serve it on a toasted bun, he will eat it no problem. Any other meat he hates, including chicken, ham.
Sometimes I will mix in some meat with rice, veg, and some gravy and he doesn't know the difference.
I also have been giving him mutivitamins daily for quite a while now.

If your daughter likes eggs than that would be a great source of protein for her. My son likes scrambled eggs, and omlettes. Also, beans and lentils are another great source of protein. Along with cheese, and dairy products.
Or how about tofu??
There are many other sources of protein besides meat.
And like Jenna had said, your daughter is still young, and this pickiness is totally normal. My son is still picky. Just keep offering her meat because one day she may surprise you and also her tastes may change as she gets older.

Good luck :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:09 pm 

Nikki that is so funny you said that. Mikey LOVES sloppy joes. But my meatloaf is hit or miss...........although my meatloaf is like that with my husband too so it may just be the meatloaf. I try mixing mikey too, like that night I did it with his noodles but he gagged on it so I know he just doesn't like it. My husband and I totally disagree on this. He tries to make Mikey eat it but I don't agree with that. As long as he tries it I don't push it. Mikey is on vitamins too. THe pediatrician put him on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:33 pm 

I almost forgot that she likes sloppy joes made with Manwich. The problem is it gives her a bad diaper rash. I've fed her this twice and she got the diaper rash both times.
I also forgot what a good source of protein beans are! Some days I think the kid is going to turn into a bean. She will eat ANY bean-peas, green beans, butter beans, lima beans... That is the only good food I can get her to eat 99% of the time.
I've read and been told by the pediatrician that if you get one good meal in them a day, don't worry about it. But some days I don't even get that in her. And she is skinny! So it helps to hear that this is normal.
Thanks gals!!
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:42 pm 

Sooo...all of our kids like the sloppy joes (mamwich), it must be the taste of the sauce.

Terri- she may have an allergy to the tomato sauce. When Alex was younger he would get a terrible red rash on his face any time tomato sauce touched his skin. Eventually, he just outgrew it.
Alex also loves beans. His favourite are beans in a maple sauce, or tomato sauce. And he LOVES ketchup with just about everything.

Jenna- Yeah, maybe it's the meatloaf, lol!! Just kidding! I agree with you, that it's not good to try and force them to eat something they don't like. As long as he tries it, then at least you know he really doesn't like the taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:53 pm 

I forgot to say that one little trick I use to get Alex to eat more is to
talk about dessert and how 'yummy' it's going to be and that if he eats 4 or 5 more bites then he can have some dessert. I usually always try to offer him something healthy like fresh fruit, or yogurt or applesauce, but once in awhile we'll make muffins or rice krispies squares.
But this really seems to work. Sometimes I've even put the dessert right on the table and he's so eager to have some that he eats almost all of his supper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:59 pm 

Totally normal. Kids won't let themselves starve and somehow they know what their body needs and will pick out that one thing on their plate and eat it so it's always good to offer a variety. The only meat my dd will eat are McDonald's cheeseburgers, not ones we make or from any other place. My dd will eat a lot one week and then the next it seems she can survive off a couple green beans. Some children can be very picky eaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:10 pm 

Whew... I thought my daughter was weird. She's 2.75 years old and has probably eaten 8-10 bites of meat in her entire life. We always put some on her plate when we have chicken or meat loaf or whatever but she flat out refuses to eat it. We make sure she get protein other ways, but I'm really wondering when she's going to develop the taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:35 pm 

I think they get a bad taste in their mouths from that meat they eat in the beginning. You ever try that? The first foods meat. EWWWWWW. ASfter that can you blame them.
I'm going to ignore that meatloaf comment. LOL!!
I made tacos' the other night. I figured that season meat was almost like sloppy joes. Mikey didn't eat it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:11 pm 

Actually, we figure our mistake was never actually giving her that pureed meat when she was a baby. We just thought it was too nasty. We're going to try to make sure our son gets it when he's old enough and see if it makes a difference with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:44 am 

Yuck poor thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:25 am 

Kylie actually really liked the pureed ham with gravy and turkey with gravy when she was younger. I tasted it and didn't think it tasted too bad-if you can get past the pureed consistency!
And up until about a month ago, some days she couldn't get enough of the Gerber's meat or chicken sticks. But even those were hit or miss. It's been in the last month that she's been refusing to eat meat ecxept for baked chicken once or twice.
Last night we went out to eat and she did eat some baked chicken when I let her dip it in apple butter. I was sooooo happy!!! But I'm sure I won't get a repeat of that soon.
At least I feel better knowing this is all perfectly normal.
Thanks all!
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:32 am 

I didn't offer the meats to my dd because she wouldn't eat any baby food period. I just tried a meat yesterday with my son, because I figured he'd eat anything, but no, not yet anyways. He made some pretty horrible faces and then gaged on it. I've only seen a handful of babies that actually eat that stuff. Who can blame them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:25 pm 

The pureed baby meat is disgusting! I tried giving it to my son when he was a baby and he just gagged to the point where he would sometimes throw up. When it got to that point, I just stopped offering it to him. It smelled like dog food, and looked like cat food....nasty!!!!
And he's never really developed a taste for meat. I don't eat a lot of meat myself, but I cook it anyway for my husband and try and always offer some to Alex.
I used to be a vegetarian about 4 years ago but gradually introduced some meat back into my diet.