Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:45 pm 

I'm not too sure how to handle this situation but in the last week or so,
Alex has been using the word "stupid". I guess he overheard my husband or I use the word, and now he is using it. The more I say that it's not a nice word, the more he uses it, and giving him a time-out has not worked at all. Maybe ignoring him would be a better way to handle it, that way he knows he's not going to get a reaction out of me.

Last week, my husband got frustrated with doing something, and said "F**k", a second later Alex was repeating that word.
Now my husband is not one to use profanities, but occasionally he will utter one. I am very conscious of what I say in front of him, and I always tell my hubby "little ears are listening, so watch what you say".

Now Alex knows these "bad word", and they are stored in his little brain forever. I'm just hoping he'll forget about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:25 pm 

Hey Nikki!
Mikey had heard my mother say stupid once and he started saying it. I told him once it was not a nice word and grammy made a mistake. After that we just ignored it and he stopped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:27 am 

When my son was 2 he picked up a few bad words and we would tell him that they were bad words and he would stop saying them. As he got a little older he picked them up again and again we would tell him not to say them. Now at the age of nearly 3 and 1/2 he doesnt say the bad words but occasionally he will say fuckil instead. We have had a long talk to him about it and hopefully he will stop. Good luck. Unfortunately kids are gonna hear bad words whether from family members friends or of tv. I think the best thing to do is try ignoring him when hes older tell him the things you like him doing and the things you donyt like him doing and that you wont tolerant the bad things. My son is learning the things he can do and cant. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:07 pm 

I'm thinking along the same lines as the others. Letting them know their not ok words and then ignoring it, especeally at this age. About a month ago I was watching Dr. Phil, my dd was playing in the living room, and a lady on there said b**ch and she looked at the tv and repeated in the same way she said it. However she had no clue, I think she just heard her pitch change and at that time was repeating the last thing everybody said. I jokingly tell my dh it could be a good thing people can't understand her because she could be swearing at us all. Kids unfortunatly pick up on the bad things from tv and others so quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:53 pm 

Well Alex is not using 'bad' words too often these days, and when he does, I just ignore him and I can see him looking over at me for a reaction. But ignoring him does seem to be working.

But the reason I am posting under this thread again, is that on Friday I was over at my mom's house and my sister was there. My sister was in the kitchen doing something and then out of nowhere said in a loud voice "F***"!! She said she burned her hand with some hot water or something. I just sort of said without getting mad at her, "don't forget to watch what you say, because Alex is repeating everything these days". Her response to me was to totally ignore me. This pissed me off because I know if it were her, and I had said that in front of her child (she doesn't have any yet), I am positive she would say something to me about it. I have also heard her say S**t! before when we were there. She really has the mouth of a sailor or maybe it's just because she is a cop :lol: Sorry if I offended anyone who is married to or knows a police officer.
So the next time I'm over there and she's around, I think I'm just going to say in a nice way for everyone to watch their mouths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:06 pm 

I always tell people to watch there mouths around Mikey. I don't care if they get offended. I don't want him picking it up. I took him to see his great grandmother the other day (husband's side) and he get quite the education. It's fabulous to hear an 85 woman use the words "f#*@" C@&^" and b*#&%^" I was nice about it the first few times. FIanlly I told her if she couldn't control her tongue we were going to hav to leave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:03 pm 

That's hilarious.....an 85 year old woman cursing! Well, not so great when Mikey has to hear it and everyone else. My side of the family, mostly my mom, sis, and even my grandma who is about to turn 80 all use curse words more than I would like. I don't anymore. Once we had Alex I became a lot more conscious of what I was saying and I wanted to set a good example for Alex. But I am human and I know when I'm driving, I'm prone to uttering a bad word every now and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:57 pm 

THe funny part is his grandmother is cursing about his mother. and although I don't disagree with her I don't need Mikey learning those words. But you are right there has been a time I two I have left one fly. Oh here's one for you, my husband and I can't agree. Is crap a bad word? He thinks it's fine for Mikey to say it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:42 pm 

Well I'm sure my husband would agree with your husband, but I agree with you. I think it's better that they don't learn the word crap....because it can be interpreted a few different ways. Mostly, that crap can also mean s**t, or poop. Maybe instead of saying "oh crap", Mike could say in front of Mikey "oh darn". My friend's mom used to say "oh sugar"
Tonight, Jamie said the word "idiot" in the car, referring to another driver and I was just like "oh, let's not use that word". It just slipped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:29 pm 

I guess it's a guy thing. I told my husband what if Mikey went to school and he told his teacher "I'm not doing this crap." Surely I would be getting a call. LOL!! If I do get that call I am giving the teacher Mike's work number.
When I beep the horn in the car (which I do often lol) Mikey says "get out of the way turkey"