Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:07 pm 

My daughter is 9 months old and will not sleep through the night. I give her baby cereal before bed and put her in her crib and let her cry herself to sleep (usually takes 10-15 minutes) which is fine, but she is up 2-4 times during the night. I would love some suggestions as I would LOVE to finally be able to sleep through the night again.
Thanks
Nicole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:47 pm 

I assume you let her cry for a while when she wakes up? At that age the wakeups are very likely either habit or not knowing how to put herself to sleep. Since you put her down awake I'm guessing it's the former and not the latter. At that age (there's that phrase again) you could feel very safe letting her cry for a while if necessary. It may be a fight but you need to break the bad wakeup habits. My daughter was up five times a night at that age until I finally said "no more". I'm finding it with my five month old already and trying to fix it before it gets worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:10 am 

my son is 2 and half and still gets up 2-3 times a night...we tried everything...they sleep through the night when there ready....he is my third child...so i used advice my old tricks and books...he been to the doc and nothing is wrong..

some kids just dont sleep through the night till there older..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:45 pm 

Sometimes maybe she's just lost her paci or whatver, go in and see, let her cry and she'll go back to sleep more than Likely.
Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:10 am 

I don't have a lot of experience in this area yet however maybe it would help if you didn't let her take a nap during the day and try to keep her more active and stimulated during the day maybe if she is a little more worn out at night she may sleep a little longer and harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:28 pm 

Have you tried some kind of white noise or repetetive noise in her room when you put her to bed? You can get those battery(or plug in) powered things that will play white noise, bird sounds, running water, etc.
Do you leave a night light on in her room? Maybe try her without it- or the opposite if you don't leave one on now.
I also agree with DadSteve. You may need to just let her cry for a little while when she wakes up at night. After it doesn't get the desired result a few times, she may go back to sleep faster and eventually not wake up at all.
Is the temperature in her room comfortable? Most babies I think will sleep better if it's on the cool side vs. on the warm side-at least mine does.
Good luck!
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:43 pm 

Terri B wrote:
Have you tried some kind of white noise or repetetive noise in her room when you put her to bed? You can get those battery(or plug in) powered things that will play white noise, bird sounds, running water, etc.

Calm music works for us. We played the same music at bedtime and naptime (set to repeat) every night for the first year or so of my daughter's life, and we're doing the same thing with my son. We immediately turn it off when we went into her room to get them. The assumption is that the child will hear that when she wakes up and know it's still bedtime. It also has the benefit of getting them used to noises while sleeping (my daughter has literally slept through a hurricane) and blocks out downstairs noises we make while they're in bed. We still play music for her now that she's older, but we mix it up so she, and we, don't get bored. If you go on a trip or something, just take a cheap portable radio and tune it into whatever easy listening station you can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:44 pm 

I have to agree with Steve and Terri. At nine months she just knows you are going in at some point to get her. My daughter is five months and my doctor says she can cry it out for a half hour. It's going to take a few nights but it will be worth it in the end. When my son was three months we stopped the feeding during the night and let him cry it out. It was tough for about three nights and after 15 minutes I would go in and give the binky and reassure him and put the music on but then I was out of there and he was not getting picked up. Now I must admit. That's not so easy with our second. She has a pair of lungs on her that just won't quit and to let her scream it out means my two year old is up. But she is not picked up or fed. I just keep going in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:09 am 

jenna103 wrote:
She has a pair of lungs on her that just won't quit .

That was our first. She would wail forever. Thankfully my six-month-old son is more of a whiner, and my daughter can now sleep through a nuclear bomb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:23 am 

I would have rathered my first be the wailer. No one but us to wake up but now I question do I let her scream this out and then risk waking him? That's all I need is two babies up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:01 pm 

best thing to do is let them cry i have a 6 week old and he crys when i know there is nothing wrong with him so we just leave him he crys himself to sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:32 pm 

Six weeks? No, we didn't start it that early. We felt at 3 months it was time to let him cry it out. And only for 15 minutes. Then we would go in reassure him, give him the binky and leave again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:53 am 

my son is 1 1/2 and he donesn't sleep through the night he wakes up like two or more times now if i sleep beside him on his bed or the air mat he will sleep the whole night we been doing that sense he has been sick . and he does sleep in his bed until about 1am he comes and gets me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:28 am 

they have to learn i did it with my other 2 aswell noting wrong with them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:54 am 

Oh I agree with you that they have to learn. But at six weeks? I just can't do it