Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need opinions!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:49 pm 

I am considering this and I need some opinions. I am a first time mom so every decision is seems so scary!!!

Right now my son stays with one lady and is the only one that she keeps when I work. He is 8 months old. I have 6 nieces and 1 nephew and I see how he acts around other kids and how he loves watching them and usually tries to get to them the best he can. I was considering seeing if I could rotate him like 3 days a week at the lady now then 2 days with someone that keeps a few kids (I have several people in mind that are not day cares with lots of kids, but one person with just a couple or 3 kids). Then the next week 2 days at the lady and 3 days with the other kids. Do you think that is a good idea or not a good idea? He got pertussis (whooping cough) when he was a few weeks old so the drs have also said the day cares, etc. are not a good idea until they are 2, but he?s been pretty healthy since and I hate that he has to miss out on interaction with other kids. But then at the same time, the one on one attention he gets from the lady now is nice, too. I can see how he could benefit from both though.

Is 8 months too young for this? Is it too much of a schedule change with a few days on and a few days off (I would plan on keeping the days together ? like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at the lady ? Then Thursday and Friday at the other)? Any opinions?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:24 pm 

If I were you I will let the lady keep him. Because he is only 8 months. If you have found a good babysitter stick with it. I have 2 boys and my first son was in daycare. But my second one my mother keeps. One is 8 and the other is 2. But you have to make the decision your self. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:51 pm 
I think that he should be socializing with other kids, it's really important. I would try and get him with other children even if it's just 1 day a week. You don't have to give up taking him to the lady but he should be able to play with other kids. My daughter has been going to a family daycare, that her grandmother works for, since she was 3 months and she LOVES it! She's 14 months now and is starting to learn to share and join the other children when they are playing. It's really nice to watch. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:18 am 

Hi There,

I remember having this very same delema with my first baby... I feel for you cause I know how hard this desicion is for you to make. But don't worry because your are the mother, and you know best, and you will make the right decision.

Here is my opion:

Eight months is still young, so your little one can't really interact or play with other children yet. So I would keep him/her with lady who is able to spend all her time careing just for your little one. You know you can't go wrong there. I don't know what your working situation is like, but would it be possible for you to spend weekends with your nieces and nephew. That way your little one is still able to see other children. Then once your little one is mobile and able to comunicate you can send him/her off to play school.

Sending you a (((hug)))

Love Lopke :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:44 pm 

I think socializations is really important. Children need to know that they are not the center of the universe and they also need to be introduced to a variety of situations so they don't freak out if something new happens. 8 months is young and it seems like you have a very nice sitter. Maybe you can make the switch at a year old? Just as long as socialization occurs fairly early (not when its already too late). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:44 am 

My daughter loved playing with other kids at 8 months. Granted she wasn't really "playing" but she was slowly learning about sharing and that there are other children besides her. She's 15 months now and I have a VERY easy time teaching her to share. I think interaction with other children is great and I don't think that 8 months is too young, but hey, to each his own. It's worked great for my little one! Good luck! :D