Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:25 pm 

Hello All! I'm new here, and am actually only 7 days away from my due date. (I wish I found this place sooner!) Well, I had the first check of my "progress" last week and found out that I was "soft" and a "tight finger tip." Today I went in with high hopes that I had dilated significantly more but found out that i'm now just a "loose finger tip" and the baby has not dropped at all. My doc says she cant believe how high he is this late and she told me to come back in after the 30th to schedule an induction. I guess her lack of hope that i'll go into labor on my own has scared me into believing I wont either. I've heard that an induction is really bad so I suppose I was writing to find out what others who have expeirenced it felt about the experience. Thanks for listening yall!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:44 pm 

Is there a medical reason that they won't let you progress on your own? Pregnancy isn't an exact amount of time. Many women wouldn't go into labor until 42 weeks if they were left alone.

Inductions can be dangerous if your dates are off. Also they increase the chances of a c section. If your body is not ready no amount of pitocin can get you there.

All that being said, I was induced at 37.5 weeks due to water leakage. Contractions on pictocin were really intense, labor lasted 17 hours, just not an experience that I would choose to go through again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:17 am 

How are you feeling? I have had 4 inductions so I think I have just about seen 'em all. The problems with inductions have to be kept in perspective , as long as it is done carefully and fully supervised and for a good medical reason there should be no problems. Who knows maybe all you will need is your waters broken, thats all I needed for the last 3 and they all took , in order 3hours, 2 hours10mins and1hour 15 mins. They were normal labours with the one difference that they had to induced!! :D So don't worry about it ! As long as you end up with a healthy baby and mother who cares how labour started! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:03 am 

Mary - No, there is no reason why I can't wait longer. According to my doc i'm having a "text book" pregnancy but she said that it's standard to wait no more than a week after the due date do to possible strain on the baby. I was concerned also about a possible C-section due to the induction. I wonder if I can request to have them hold off on the induction until i'm at least 42 weeks. I'll have to ask.
Tracey- Other than the regular ole' aches and pains of pregnancy i'm feeling great, thanks for asking! I had actually almost forgot that they could just break the waters before giving pitocin. Maybe that's all i'll need! I'm really worried that the fact that he wont drop is going to be reason for me to have a c-section. This is my first pregnancy, is it possible that he wont drop until closer to actual labour, like days or even hours?

Thanks for your words of advice and encouragement girls! Sometimes it is so much easier to talk to people who have been there rather than reading it out of a book. I suppose i'm going to go take a walk around the block (again) and see if I can convince this little bugger that it's time to come out and meet the world! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:35 am 

The exact same thing happened to me. I was only a few days before my due date and my baby had not dropped at all. My Dr. was talking about inducing me before Thanksgiving (last year) or waiting until afterwards. I was freaking out. I DID NOT want to be induced! So, the next day I walked for HOURS!!!! I was about to try anything to bring on labor naturally. well, after walking for as long as I could stand, the next morning I woke up to my water breaking. That was 7am. At 1:13 pm in the afternoon, I now had my first son Hayden! I am absolutely convinced that all the walking I did brought my labor on. Oh yeah, and that was 2 days before I was due. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:23 pm 

So maybe all the "just take a walk" advice isn't just an old wives tale! I've been trying it but not in such long periods. I'm cooking a huge thanksgiving dinner today/tomorrow so maybe that'll help! In fact, knowing my luck my water will break just as i'm sitting down to dinner tomorrow (with my house full of guests!) Now that would be funny! Happy Thanksgiving Yall!

Post subject: RE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:14 pm 

with this being your first pregnacy its only natural for you to be scared, I was induced with my daughter and had no complications at all. I was given my epidural in time and actually only felt maybe one or two contractions through the whole thing. There are pro's and con's with being induced but as long as your Dr knows what she is doing im sure you and your baby will be just fine, Im pg with number 3 now (2 months along) and if I had my choice Id be induced again, once they broke my water things progressed rather quick, the movement and on your feet from cooking Thanksgiving dinner just may be what you need to start your labor up.. and the old wives tales with walking, Ive done it with my son and it worked for me..Best of Luck to you, you'll prpbably be a new mommy before you ever read this posting..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:53 pm 

Hi i was just woundering if you had you baby yet??? if you did congrats.
If you didnt try this bake a cake have a baby all three of my friends were with in a week after there due date and they did this it work. ALso your firsy pregnacey takes a while for you body to get your insides ready. so good luck i know this is stuiped i just wanted to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am 

Hello! No, still no baby. My due date was yesterday so it's offical, i'm over due. :cry: So, bake a cake, have a baby huh? Hey, you know what I will try anything right now! :lol: I truly hope that he'll make an appearance on his own but if not then I guess I can find the up side to being induced... I mean at least I can plan, make sure that all is completed around the house. I'll post if I go into labour any time soon! Have a nice day ladies!

Post subject: RE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:50 pm 

I wish I could be as calm as you about it.. ha! You seem to be handleing it very well, Im only 2 months along with my 3rd child and im a nervous wreck for you, I cant wait to hear all about it, This is better than watching soaps on t.v. what do you say we make some bet's ladies... i say if she bakes a cake and walks tonight.. she'll be in labor by tomorrow night at midnight...Keep us posted..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:58 pm 

hey Brandy if you still havent gone into labour and your waters havent broken try sex - no I'm not being silly- sperm has the same hormone in it that is in the gel they put on yur cervix to try and induce you. and I'll take that bet .... Laboour midnight with sex, not with baking a cake! he he he

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:43 pm 

I'm with Tracey...Have sex! I might hurt like hell but it could get things going....BUT put the cake in the oven before the sex and you'll have a great snack for after!!! lol!

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:23 am 

:lol: Okay ladies - I didn't get to read the posts until just now and my hubby is fast asleep soooo.... First thing tomorrow i'm gonna go buy some frosting for the cake, bake and wait until the husband is home from work. I guess we'll see what happens! :lol: I will let yall know for sure!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:06 pm 

spicy food is another one that might atart off labour. goodluck! and dont worry about being induced. its not as bad as some people make it out to b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:25 pm 

Well, I wish I could say I have good news but I went to the doc today and found out that I havent progressed at all. I'm scheduled to have a NST and Fluid check on monday and to be induced on Wed. I still hope that i'll go into labour but it looks really bad, the doc said I could continue to try walking etc. but not to expect much. Keep your fingers crossed for me!