Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:38 pm 

Hi. I tried feeding my twins some rice cereal today - I wouldn't call it feeding, I would call it smearing it all over them while they were crying from hunger. Does anybody have any tips for me? I'm a first time mom and don't have a clue how to go about this:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:31 am 

They are 4 months old and they are jut starting on solids now!!!??? What is the reason for this, those kids are STARVING!! Start out by mixing their cereal in lots of formula (or breast milk) so that it is still watery, get a nipple that has a bigger hole, and give it to them in a bottle, after about a week of this, try the spoon again, but make the cereal thicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:57 am 

I totally disagree with Jbaykids. They're not starving and I wouldn't put it in bottles. It's going to be messy at first as infants push the cereal back out with their tongue. It may take awhile for them to learn how to eat. If they were premature they may not be ready. My daughter was 6weeks early and we were supposed to go by her adjusted age. She wasn't ready or interested in food until around 6mos. Children get all they need from formula/breastmilk alone until 1yr, but as they get older it may not fill them up enough so that is the purpose of solids. Just keep offering if they are interested in it and they will eventually get the hang of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:33 pm 

I agree with Mom of 2, my daughter started solids at 4 months old. Actually doctors dont recommend giving solids till at least 4 months old, so no they are not starving. There is no reason to put the cereal in there bottle either. Just mix some rice cereal in a bowl with breastmilk or formula and try with that until they get a little used to it, then move to another type of single grain cereal and give that one 3-5 days to watch for an allergic reaction. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:40 pm 

I also disagree with JBayKids-Just wanted to say that putting rice cereal in a bottle can be very dangerous. It can cause chocking. Babies who switch over to cereal in their bottles don't expect it and its different texture for them. The rice cereal, even after being shaken up in the bottle can clump up. I would place a small amount of cereal in a bowl and make it really soupy with the milk. My daughter took 2 weeks to get the idea of pushing the food back before she nailed it! It does take time. Belive us....the kids arnt starving. Most dr's don't recomend solids until 6 months any ways. Keep doing a great job! Twins are a handful! I am sure you know that! Best of Luck!!!

Melanie
-Emily's Mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:53 pm 

I also disagree with JBayKids, ped's dont reccomend you starting solids till babies are 4 mths, they are not STARVING.. DO NOT put rice cereal inthe bottle that is only reccommended if they have reflux. It just takes time for them to get used to it with a spoon, its a fun process tho, just dont get too frustrated take it a little bit at a time, at 4 mths they just might not be ready yet to start solids, dotn worry about it, they should start from 4-6mths, just give them some time. GOOD LUCK!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:33 pm 

Thanks for all the advice! My Dr. and all the books I read said not to start solids until at least 4 months to prevent allergies, and they're absolutely not starving:) They went full term and were 6.5 and 7.4 when born. Now they're 17.5 and 15.5. I'm still feeding them their regular bottles so they're still getting what they need. Today was the second day of rice cereal and it was already easier, so I'll just hang in there and keep trying! Thanks for all the support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:36 am 

I didn't mean to ome off rude or unintellagable, I was stating my experiences and what doc. had told me.No you wouldn't hand them the bottle and leave, you feed it to them while holding them. Both my sons WERE starving at 2 to 3 weeks, I started them on solid then. My first son was 10 lbs. at birth, second 7.5 lbs., they boh ate a LOT, and this had to be done,if you had noprob. w/ their weight and hunger issues, then by all means, keep it up! I never had a problem w/ mess, they both devoured heir food in one bite, got all of it in their mouth none anywhere else, so I can't give you any advice there. Athough my 19 month old now feeds himself, and THAT is messy!!!! LOL. But its ok, cause he's doing a great job with his spoon! Anyway, good luck :!: