Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:45 pm 

Hi everyone! I just found this message board and I love it already! I just wanted to introduce myself...

I'm 21 years old and exactly 6 weeks pregnant today. I'm not married, but my boyfriend and I have been together for almost 4 1/2 years, and we're both happy about having a baby. Of course we were both extremely shocked at first, but we get more excited as time goes on. I haven't been feeling too bad yet. I get slightly nauseous sometimes, I've had some cramping (but no bleeding), I have very tender breasts, and I'm hungry a lot. I'm not really showing yet. Just a teeny-tiny amount that really only I would notice.

My main question right now is when do I need to make my first appointment? I haven't even gone in for a test there yet. I've only taken two HPTs and both were positive. I'm worried that I'm waiting too long to go in? Any advice on that would be grealty appreciated! I've been waiting to tell my parents until after the first appointment.

Hope you're all doing very well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:45 pm 

Call the ob/gyn you're planning on using. Different OB's schedule first appts at different times, but I think 6-8 is usually about right. I was 7 weeks when I went in for the first time with my son. This pregnancy, I was 4 weeks, they say me the after I got my positive test and scheduled my big appt for 2 weeks later. I've got a few possible risk factors they're keeping a close eye on. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:23 am 

Hey! I'm 21 also! First of all, congratulations!! With all the scary things that you feel when you find out (surprise!!) you're pregnant, its easy to forget that you're actually having a baby! I was shocked out of my skin when I found out I was pregnant (don't ask me why, because I KNEW where babies come from). Anyways, pregnancy is a beautiful experience and gets better (wait till your second trimester). Ok, sorry to go on and on. I would schedule your appointment for next week. When you call your doctor/midwife/clinic you plan to use, they'll tell you when they want you to come in. The 1st appoinment is the long one. They do a complete exam, blood test, family history, etc. They get all the info they need. Your next appt. will be much shorter. Congrats again!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:04 pm 

Hi, babystar! Thanks so much for your reply! It's so nice to hear from someone else who's my age and going through the same thing! How far along are you? I forgot about the whole family history stuff! Maybe it would be best if I told my parents before the first appointment, so I can be sure to get all the accurate info that I can!

Thank you for your encouragement!

Nikel, thank you for your reply, also! I will be talking to the nurse this week, for sure. It's kinda nice cuz I work at the Internal Med/Family Practice facility that I'll be going to, so I can just go downstairs and talk to them! hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:36 pm 

Congrats! I am also new to this web site. I am 18 weeks ( due feb 22nd) and I am also 21 years old. It's kind of funny because I waited 21 years until I was legal and I found out I was pregnant 2 days before my birthday. My BF tells me that at least I found out before and not after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:04 pm 

CONGRATS!!!

Keep us posted throughout your pregnancy! I'll send some baby dust your way for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Oh and I would schedule your apt. for in the next couple weeks! Then they can put you on prenatals if you already don't take them and give you a tons of information to look over before you have your baby. Just be prepared for a complete physical examination.

Best Wishes!!!

Melanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:34 pm 

Around here they don't see you until your 10weeks, but I would call now to schedule appt or to have a blood test done. Here you also have to have a blood preg. test before they schedule the appt. I would also pick up prenatal vitamins and start taking them. You can get them at walmart or any drugstore. They're with all the other vitamins. I found them easier to take than prescription ones. Congrats.