Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nipples (safe for steve)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:29 am 
I have tried every freaking nipple i can find in stores, and i cannot find one that works. here is the deal, kenzi gets about 5-6 sucks, and collapses the nipple right down, i have her using the slow flow nipples because if i use anything thats not slow flow, she gags, and coughs and 99% of the time gets a belly-ache afterwards. any advice aas to y this is happening or what i can do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:26 am 
Have you tried Avent, that is what I use and they work great for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:23 am 

i loved those for mikey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:30 am 

I always used (use) evenflo bottles for Justin. The nipples are smaller but are pretty tough (i.e. don't collapse). He always had a tougher time with the bigger nipples (like Advent) although, he has a pretty small mouth (which doesn't mean he is quiet, ha ha), so that might be why.

On a related topic... when did you start giving a sippy cup for juice? I had to start giving him juice at 4 months b/c of infrequent bowl movements, so I would put it in a bottle. But now that he is 6 months, should I be giving him the juice in a sippy cup rather than a bottle, and only use the bottles for formula?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:07 am 
i havent reached the sippy cup era yet, but from what ive been told, using the bottle stricktly for formula is the best way, and have them drinking jiuce or anything else from a sippy cup... if they agree of course ;-) lol

im gonna look into the even flo.. someone bought me and avent bottle, and the part that would resemble a breast is HUGE and the nipple part is tiny, so kenzi doesnt latch onto it very well and gets alot of air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:24 am 

YOu can give the sippy cup. Doesn't hurt. Payton has been getting it at dinner. It's on her tray and between feedings I hold it up and she takes a sip. Once she even picked it up herself and drank. I got the one wit the rubber top. She liked it better.
With Mikey i was tol not to put formula in the sippy cup and I would never do that again. After I took the bottle away from him I would give him milk or formula in the sippy cup. He NEVER drank it. And I hear that alot. It's only recently he started drinking milk from the cup. He would associate the milk or formula with the bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:04 pm 

darn .. thought this would be about the FUN kind of nipples :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:09 pm 

sorry steve, no fun nipple talk here, ha ha!

Yeah, Justin had that same problem with the advent bottle. He was never breast fed, so he wasn't used to that big part (what is supposed to resemble the breast) and he had a REALLY hard time keeping the little nipple part in his mouth. Try Evenflow if Kenzi is having the same problem. It seemed to work the best (and they are pretty reasonably priced too, which is always a bonus). I bought like 12 little ones and then 12 big bottles when he graduated (b/c I am too lazy to wash them all the time, ha ha).

Thanks for the sippy cup info. I did try to give him one w/ a rubber spout and he just chewed on it the entire time. I don't think he gets that he has to suck on it yet. I'll keep trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:54 pm 

Justin's Mom wrote:
sorry steve, no fun nipple talk here, ha ha!

Okay .. call me if the conversation turns that way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:42 pm 

I think it varies with each baby, but with mine I've always used the orthodontic nipples. First I used playtex when they were small then went to Nuk w/regular bottles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:04 am 

Jenna - I'm confused about your sippy cup and formula/milk comment. Did you mean that you will put milk in a sippy cup again or you won't? And why? Jake has been only drinking water and a little bit of juice out of his cup so far, he is not very good at it, he usually just chews on the spout (it is a soft one) so I haven't wanted to waste milk in the cup.

Post subject: New member advice
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:57 am 

Hi there! I'd just like to give a little advice about the nipple thing. My baby boy Hayden is 3 months old, and is completely breastfed. I've had to start going to work again and I've tried EVERY nipple and bottle there is.. everyone had recommended the Avent bottle, but Hayden absolutely hated it. So I went through about 4 different kinds of nipples.. when I tried the Platex Othodontic nipple, which he didn't reject so much. The only way I was able to get him to start feeding off a bottle was to lay him on my belly, hold his head still and hold the bottle in his mouth. I couldn't hold him in my arms because he would just turn towards me as if he were breastfeeding.. pain in the neck hehe.. :? But we did get through this problem.. I hope this helps a little!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:31 pm 

i dont know if u get these in the usa over in scotland we have variflow and thats what i use for Zack they can take as much or as little as they want and it wont give them a sore tummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:39 pm 

Sorry jmom didn't mean to confuse you.
With Mikey I had NEVEr put milk in his cup. I ised to put water and jouce and save the milk for the bottle. But then when I took the bottles away I tried putting the milk in the cup. He spit it out every time. So it took a year and only now has he started drinking milk from the cup. So for my daughter every once in a while I put milk in the sippy cup. I alternate. Somtimes juice, sometimes milk sometimes water. This way before we stop nursing she is used to milk in the cup. Did that make it better? Sometimes I know what I want to say but not how to say it. LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:07 pm 
I myself put milk in the sippy cup and I use the ones with the hard spout so she can tell there is a difference between the two. My wierd daughter does not like the sippy cups though, she would rather drink staright out of a cup. If only that were not so messy!!