Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No More Crib
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:36 am 

I was just wondering what age children switched from a crib to their "BIG BED" I have a crib that switches into a small childs bed with railings. About what age should they make that switch and what can help them make that transistion easy on them.

Has anyone had experience with this, what worked for you???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:42 am 

I started my dd at 19mos. because #2 was on the way. She slept in it for naps and her crib at bedtime because she would cry for her crib at night. Then when she was used to it we switched to just the bed, which was after about a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:13 pm 

Hi,

My 23 month old son still sleeps in his crib. His grandparents are buying him a "big boy bed" for his bday so we were thinking we would maybe try him soon after his birthday.......though we are in no rush because we are not expecting another baby right now and my son is very comfortable in his crib and does not try to climb out.
I talk to my son often about his "big boy bed" that he will be getting when he turns two just so he gets used to the idea.

I have heard of parents taking their toddlers with them to pick out a bed,
and even having a little party celebrating the transition to the new bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:33 pm 

Well this is what i've heard and plan to do, as soon as my DD decides its time to climb out of the crib on her own, its to the toddler bed she goes LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:12 pm 

The rule is when they show interest in climbing out, it's time. You can do it before then, though. My daughter made the transition right at about two years old. She was a trooper about it. We talked up the big girl bed until she was used to the idea, then we brought it in. The first night she was pretty scared and I had to sit with her for a long time. Even then, she cried for a bit. But, once that first night was over, she took to it pretty well. She sleeps a LOT better in the big bed.

Interesting how it worked out that we switched her, by the way. My daughter never showed any interest in climbing out, but the day before we planned to make the switch, at naptime she stuck her leg through the rails and then fell sideways. It twisted her leg pretty bad and left a mark. She was lucky not to sprain something. That pretty much clinched it .. time for the big girl bed :)

BTW - I don't see the point of buying a toddler bed. It's just an extra bed to buy. There's no reason a kid can't go straight to a single bed. I think toddler beds are just a way for the furniture companies to make more money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:21 pm 

I agree with you about the toddler bed. The crib I have converts into a toddler bed though and since I am a teen mom and my daughter shares my room, I dont have any place to put a twin bed. So for now she will stay in her crib!

Thanks for all your input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:32 pm 

EJB2804 wrote:
I agree with you about the toddler bed. The crib I have converts into a toddler bed though and since I am a teen mom and my daughter shares my room, I dont have any place to put a twin bed. So for now she will stay in her crib!

Thanks for all your input!

We've got one of those. That's a bit of a different story. We just went straight to the big girl bed with my daughter, but that was because her little brother was on the way and he needed the crib. We might convert the crib to a toddler bed when he gets bigger. It's only delaying the inevitable, but if the timing isn't right money-wise for a single bed for him, then we might.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:42 am 

Hi There,

There is only 18 months between my two boys and so I needed to move Zack out of the cot quite early because I needed it for Caleb. Anyhow, we moved him across to his new bedroom with a 'big boy bed' at about 16 1/2 months. He took to it very easily and never had a problem falling asleep or staying in it by himself. I was nervouse though! I think he fell out of it only once and I cried more than him... he he he! Now Caleb at 18 months is still in the cot and I will only move him out of there once we get our house renovations done (next year).

Bye,
Lopke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:19 pm 

I agree with you Steve on the toddler bed being a waste of money.
I think we will ask my husband's parents to keep an eye out for a single bed and probably just buy some railings at Toy's R Us.

A friend of mine bought her daughter a twin bed and just put the mattress on the floor for awhile until she got used to sleeping on it and then montbs later put the bed together.

Post subject: Bed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:21 pm 

We put my son in a big boy bed at 18 months. I was due to have my second child on his second birthday and I needed the crib. I didn't want him to associate the new baby with his old room and crib. So we re did a new room for him. We let him be a part of it. And before the furniture came he and I would play in there and hang out in there. And then when his big boy bed came I had my parents and brother and sister in law over to see it. Everyone made sure they made a big deal over it. The first few weeks were no problem. We put the rail and because it's a captains bed it was too high for him to attempt to get out of it. We had no problems. After a few weeks though he did manage to get out. But we have a gate by his bedroom door so he would just go to the gate and call us. Now after a few nights of explaining the rules he tells me everytime he gets in it "I can't get out, I can't get down and I can't get up." And there hasn't been a problem since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:51 pm 

My son was the receiver of a very used crib and mattress and never liked it. he slept fine in our bed with us though and he shares a room with his brother who is 10 years older. At 19 mos we bought a bunk bed for the boys and my DS has slept in it better than anywhere! We put a rail on the side and he was right at home!

My DD has a convertible crib. we will decide when it is right for her to convert it as she gets older. she's 16 mos right now and not ready. My personal theory is, when she can climb up and down her brothers bed by herself (the lower bunk) she is ready. that was part of the deciding factor in the purchase of the bunk bed for the boys. My son was able to get up and down off of our bed. neither one of my kids have tried to climb out of their cribs.

The believed rule is when they can climb out of the crib they are ready. I know kids who could climb out but were not ready for the big bed yet. They were just exercising the fact that they could climb out. Then my nephew is almost one and he's been climbing out of his crib for about 2-3 months now. He's not ready either.