Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ontario health care?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:48 pm 

This is for Nikki and anyone else that lives in Ontario, Canada. Just because I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere...

I was just wondering how important is it that I'm seen by my doc every week from 35 weeks on AND is it manditory for her to see me every week from 35 weeks on? In other words is she REQUIRED to see me every week? If I could get a reply ASAP it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:23 pm 

Hi,

I'm not positivie that it is MANDADTORY, but I do think it is very IMPORTANT that you do go every week for your checkup once you get to 35 wks for the health of your baby and you as well.
A lot can happen in that short time and what the doctor really wants to know during that time is if you are still feeling lots of movement.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything but a friend of mine said her sister lost her baby in the eighth month because the the umbilical cord ended up wrapping around the baby's neck and strangling it......I guess she stopped feeling movement.

How far along are you and is there a reason you won't be able to see your doctor every week?? You can always call her office and find out if it is mandatory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:25 pm 

Sorry I didn't see your ticker at the bottom of your post :roll: ....you are 36 wks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:29 pm 

well I had an appt. on the 30th but the office called two days before and said they needed to re-scedule. I was visiting relatives and didn't get the message untill the night before the appt. By that time of course the office was closed and I called the next day and the awnsering machine said that the office would be closed untill the 3rd. SO I left a message asking them to call me to re-scedule once they got back and I still haven't heard from them. I have been VERY forgetful lately and TIRED so I keep forgetting to call but I think it is very unprofessional and irresponsible not to call me back. My last appt. was on the 16th. This is not my family doctor but since he does not do deliveries any more he has referred me to another doctor which I have only seen a total of ONE time! And in short I am not that impressed... BUT if this this woman is going to deliver my baby then I don't really want to piss her off lol. She is nice and all but, I don't know, I guess she dosn't seem that concerned with me? ANYWAY Hannah is moving around alot and I'm not concerned I just wanted to know if it was required of doctors to see pregnant patients every week after 35 weeks. Thanks for your quick response; I appreciate it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:04 pm 

If you don't mind me asking, which hospital will you be delivering at?
I had my son at The Toronto East General Hospital and I wasn't very impressed with it.
I think the next time I get pregnant I'm going to consider finding a doctor at Women's College Hospital. I've heard they are really good.

I also think it was pretty unprofessional for your doctor's office not to call back. Just get an appt. scheduled for next week if you can.
My first appt with my doctor at the East General wasn't until Feb 1st which I would have been 14wks pregnant if I hadn't miscarried. To me that seems late for a first appt. But it's because she is so busy....so I definitely won't be going back to her the next time I get pregnant.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:18 pm 

Well all of my family lives in the GTA and I did as well for some time but I actually live in Barrie now. I just put Toronto on my thing because not many people know where the heck Barrie is LOL! I will be delivering at RVH (Royal Victoria). Although if I had went into labour vhile visiting my relatives my baby would have been born at the same hospital I was! (Oakville Memorial) THAT would have been weird! Anyway yea about what you said I think that that is a long time to wait for an appt... I wouldn't go back either! I think when doctors are so busy they just aren't "all there" or completely focused on YOU as a patient! Thats how my family doc is! But then again you can't blame them what with the shortage of doctors and all... I don't know much on the situation but I think the province should be doing more to get doctors to come to Ontario! We just aren't getting the attention we need right now! Anyway I'm going to try really hard to remember to CALL twomorrow and like my mom said they had "darn well better" fit me in ASAP! I joked that I might even go into labour before I get my next appt, but hey I'm 37 weeks on Mon! BTW I think she is SIDEWAYS :cry: So I better get in for an appt. soon!! she hasn't even given an estimate of her weight or size or anything!! This doctor seems kind of....um ditzy (for lack of a better word) and not very serious. don't get me wrong I don't WANT her to be cold and impersonal but she is too "goofy" and just, from my one and only meeting, she dosn't seem to take things very seriously? Oh I don't know sometimes I feel like I'm crazy and paranoid but thats probably all the HORMONES racing through me and the STRESS of labour looming...
LOL :lol: I can't wait for this to be over with I feel like such a rambling lunatic! Thats probably normal at my stage though right? And so is me feeling like I've always been pregnant and I always will be and I will never go back to normal!! *sigh* ok I've gone on WAY too long now but:

I hope this doesn't upset you me bringing it up again and all but I wanted you to know that I am truly sorry for your loss. No matter what anyone says that baby is your baby right from the point of conception it's not "just an embryo" it is your child. I wish there was more I could say, no I don't know how you feel, but being pregnant myself I can imagine, or couldn't imagine rather, loosing her! Again, I'm sorry and I wish you much luck on your next pregnancy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:31 pm 

i also think that was very unprofessinal of your doc. just be very very glad you don't go to a military hospital they are even worse my friend (who is a week behind me) was throwing up blood and her doc never called back she ended up driving 30 min to go to the er and waiting 2-3 hours to see anyone. luckly i hav not had any problems that needed me to call my doc yet. good luck with your up and comming delivery hope it goes smooth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:36 pm 

wow now that is terrible!!! Really! ......wow, poor woman!! Is she ok???

Thanks and I hope that you don't have any problems that you need to call your doc about at all! good luck with yours as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:33 pm 

Thanks for your kind words.....I'm starting to feel a little better today. Every time I look at my son I feel so blessed to have him. My pregnancy with him went so well, I just thought a miscarriage would never happen to me.

Do you remember how far along you were when you had your first official appt.? All I know is for next time I'm going to get my family doctor to refer me to someone who can get me in for an appt before I am 12 wks if possible.

I wish you all the luck with your upcoming labour and delivery....just relax :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:26 pm 

In the US, it's typically around 10wks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:36 pm 

10 wks is pretty early. Here in Toronto and just about eveywhere around here there is a shortage of doctors and just to get a family doctor can be difficult because most doctors are not taking new patients.

My obgyn for my son and who I was going to go to again is the Medical Director of the hospital where she works, also the Head of Obstetrics/Gynelcology, and runs a Colposcopy clinic in the hospital as well as being in her own office 2 days a week and then being at the hospital delivering babies.....so I guess that is why I wasn't booked to see her until Feb. 1st, which is when I would have been 14 wks.

Well I can tell you I'm not going throught that again. I'm going to get my family doctor to refer me to someone who can see me earlier especially because I will be 35 in July and I have now had a miscarriage they will hopefully get me in sooner. Once you turn 35 they start doing a lot more testing for Down's syndrome, etc and also you are at a higher risk for ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm 

My first app was when I was 13-14 weeks (I think) But after missing my period I was just kind of in shock for a while and it didn't really sink in. So it was a little while before I called to go get tested. Then once they saw a positive test result they booked my appt. So it may have been partially my fault for the appt being so late. Anyway I hope this "little problem" with the doctors gets cleared up next time around for you so you can get optimal attention and care! Good luck!!

p.s. I'll TRY to relax!!! :wink: and I'll be sure to let everyone know how the labour goes!!