Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: pacifier thermometer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:59 pm 
hey everyone.. i was just wondering if any of you have ever used or have a pacifier thermometer? and if you have or do, is it accurate? my mom wanted to buy me one, but i wanted to check and see if anyone has one and now reliable they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:18 pm 

I have used one plenty of times. They are pretty accurate if you can use them correctly. They are harder to use than a thermometer because you have to get the baby to keep it in their mouth 2-5 minutes... and also the nipple on it is usually long and Tameka would gag on it and not keep it in her mouth. Then when she finally did she got hooked on that pacifier and only that pacifier for like a month.... then she changed back to a regular pacifier. I prefer to just take it under the armpit. It has been the most accurate and easiest for me. Also, the pacifier that is also a medicine dispenser doesn't work unless you get the kind that looks like it has a syringe on the end to push it into the nipple... because when the baby is little it doesn't suck hard enough to get the medicine to dispense. GOOD LUCK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:59 pm 
dang, i got one of those medicine pacifiers too, hoping it would work, maybe itll work when she is older? i think im going to go ahead and get one of the ear thermometers.. i hear those are rather accurate, and very quick, so ill prolly go thata way

thank ya for the input:):)

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:12 pm 

Sounds like a great idea. Sucks if you have kids who refuse to take a pacifier. Neither of mine have EVER been interested. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:19 pm 

I just thought I would add my cents...I think the ear thermometers are a waste of money. They are quick but you have to get it just right in the ear to get an accurate reading, which is impossible for me. I can take the temp. 10 times and get 10 very different readings. None of the medicine dispensers with nipples worked for us either. They hated the meds so obviously they wouldn't suck on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:20 am 

SAve your money of the ear thermometer. I have a brand new one. It was an expensive one too. But my son always moved his head and I could never get it in right. The best way to do it and it's not as hard as people think is the rectal thermometer.
As far as the medicine dispenser my pharmasist gives up the dispenser it's the squeeze kind. Both my kids just suck the medicine right out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:31 am 
I completely agree that the best way to go is the rectal thermometer. you will get the most accurate reading, and when they are that young they don't mind as much, at least my daughter doesn't. I tried to do it under the arm for a while but Lily HATED it, so I said fine I will do it "the bad way" and she does not mind one bit. Just DONT FORGET the vaseline! If you do, then the baby will REALLY hate it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:36 am 

Exactly. My son is two and we still do it that way. I tried under the arm but them he moves or I am not sure it's in the right place. So I never trust the reading. And if I have to call the doctor in the middle of the night he likes it to that I did it rectally. He knows it's a true reading. Plenty of vasaline and it's no problem at all. Just make sure you have a diaper underneath them. Sometimes they poop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:32 am 

we we were given a pacithermometer for christmas. i got around to using it for it's intended purpose earlier today b/c sean felt warm (had 2mnth chkup + got a plethora of shots yesterday, poor guy) and unlike the digital, the pacimometer was within my reach. it came back with 98.7 twice, but i knew that couldn't be right but wasn't surprised because when taking temp orally, doesn't thermometer have to be under tongue for accuracy? went off to find the digital, took temp rectally, got a reading of 100.2... grr.

rectal temp checks are the way to go for the young'uns.