Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:17 am 

Please gurls i need your help!!!!! I was so freaken stupied and did that stupied triple screening test and now my world is falling apart. It came back that i'm at risk for a baby with down syndrom!!! They said i have a few choices but if i DO pick one the only one would to be having them stick a neddle in my stomach to check the babys fluid or something and that would give a better idea how at risk i am! HOw could this happen! My stupied ass doctor said i was okay and i believed him for some reason. NOw this, i don't even know what to do. I"m so scared and the idea of my baby dieing some day scares me I want my kids to grow old and do everything they can in a very long life! Please have any of you been through this or done the test where it says your at risk?????? They say there is a small chance that if the stick the neddle into me if it pokes the baby it'll die! Please gurls i'm asking for help I don't know what to do! Please help me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:52 pm 

I probably wouldn't worry too much. If you are older then maybe I would consider having the amnio done. Those tests come back a lot with a high # and don't really mean anything. It's really your decision though. Good luck and I hope everything turns out well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:45 pm 

Hey, I was told by my doctor that the triple screening test had a lot of false positives.....I would probably get the amnio, the risk is pretty small for anything bad to happen and then you would definitely know if something could be different with this baby and if something is then it would give you time to prepare and if nothing is wrong then you can quit worrying about it...but thats my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:56 pm 

I also had a triple screen test that came back with an increased risk for having a child with Down Syndrome. What was your score? My score came back as 241. This score means I had a one out of 241 chance of having a child with Downs. My OB told me that his office considers the cut off to be 270, so my socre was not that bad. I am 32 pregnant with my first child and my OB said my score was tantamount to the score of a 36 year old. Remember an increased risk is just that, an increased risk. This test is a screen not a diagnosis. The first thing your doctor should do before rushing you to have an amnio is to have an ultrasound to confirm your due date. I scheduled a level II ultrasound with a Perintologiest as my risk for miscarriage with an Amnio was greater than my chances of having a Downs baby. I learned that my due date was off by 10 days ( I just went off the pill and got pregnant within weeks which was why the doctor was off by so much) which caused my score to be incorrect (My OB said the score is calculated by a formula which includes factors such as your maternal age, due date etc., thus garbage info in garbage info out). My score was recalculated and now I'm within "normal" risk range for my age. It is important to note that this type of test only catches about 60% of Downs babies, so even if your score is normal you could still have a baby with Downs, and conversely women with an increased score that isn't explained by twins or an erroneously due date have "normal" babies. The only way to know for sure if you have a Downs baby or one with other chromosonal abnormalities is to have the Amnio.
Also, if you prefer to have a Level II ultrasound before an Amnio they can check for "markers" for Downs as well (they measure the leg bones, pinkie finger, check for bowl obstructions, heart problems, and a fold of skin on the babies neck) that my indicate an increased risk for Downs, and then if there are "markers" you can make an informed decision as to if you wish to proceed to an Amnio.
Try not to worry,( I know that is easier said than done!) most Moms who score higher risk often times have an incorrect due date or twins.
Take care and good luck!

Valerie, Mom to be to Baby Boy Colton.
EDD 10/06/04 (wrong due date 9/26/04!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:15 am 

Hey, I just wanted to update you gurls! First off i'm so sorry i freaked out last time i was here i wasn't able to get ahold of my husband or anyone to really talk so i came here and just freaked. Thank you to those who responded with the advice and encouragement! The test said i had a 1 in 70 chance and with just turning 18 in may and i didn't do anything like smoke and it's not in my family and other things my german doctor told me to forget all about it that everythings gonna be okay and when we was mesuring everything it he everythings looking GREAT!!! AND the great news is we're having a little boy!!!! We're SO excited we were really hoping for a girl but a boy is just as good!!!!! ANyways again thank you for your help and i promise to never freak like that again on here!! :)

Tara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:55 pm 

I am glad you feel better , baby blessings to you and your baby.