Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Potty Training A Boy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:38 pm 

Hi,

Just had a couple of questions about potty training my son who is
21 months. Yesterday, for the first time he sat on his potty and went pee :) We have had the potty since he was 18 months but at that time he was not ready and we did not really want to force the issue too much.
So yesterday after breakfast when I was getting him dressed I asked if he would like to sit on his potty while mommy sat on the toilet to pee. Once he heard me going, he started to go.........I was so happy!!
I also tried him after lunch and supper.
Today we did the same thing, and did a little pee after lunch.
Anyway, my questions were: At what point should I try him on our toilet with the potty seat on top?? Right now, he sits down on his potty which is on the floor beside our toilet. It converts so that it can also go on the toilet as well.
Also, at what age do you start teaching boys to stand at the toilet to pee??
I imagine not until at least 4 or 5?

Thanks for your help. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:53 am 

my friend just told me that she started potty training her boy standing up when he was two...she said its easier that way and you can put cheerios in the toilett and have him hit it like a target and make a game out of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:32 am 

I have yet to get my boy to stand up to pee and he is 7. My dh took no interest in helping in that department so my son always saw me go and just did what I did. I got to say it is so much cleaner and I never have to clean up misses. Now he can go standing up, Ishowed him at about 4ish. He had more control then, but he still prefers to sit. As for the sitting on the toliet, I would try now if he seems to be doing good. Make a game out of it though, you don't want it to seem like work or he may start to hold it in. Good luck.
Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:53 am 

Oh, I don't know how to say this w/o it coming off like bragging, I'm not. My oldest son was 1 1/2 when he potty trained HIMSELF! He did nd still does stand up. No guy showed him how, and I am so glad he knew what to do, because I would have had NO CLUE, I was 16 when I had him. So I still was kinda confused as to why guys stand up to pee in the first place, lol. Well now my youngest is 18 months and the other day, he took off his shirt, then off goes the shorts,next is the diaper which went right into the trash, then he walked into the bathroom, walked out, pulled Preston (his older brother) back in w/ him like he needed him to show him how to use the potty! It was SO cute!!! We don't have a potty chair yet, but I am gonna get one for him in a couple of weeks. But I still have NO CLUE how to teach him, I am hoping Pret will do a good job of that, LMAO!!!! Let's Pray!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:33 pm 

After my son got the hang of using the potty (kids seat on the big toilet) i ordered my Dh to teach him to stand up. My son was somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 I think (potty training rebellion). My dh said he felt weird about it, you know, standing there having his son watch him stand up to pee. I told him that i can't teach him so HE has to teach him. it took once and my son was very interested and after my Dh explained it (stand for pee, sit for poopie and pee) my son was fine.

We never used cheerios to teach my son to aim. I just told him to aim at the "cave" in the toilet (where the water goes down to flush). I also made sure to teach him to dab when he was done, and put the lid down before he flushed! To this day, he will dab and put the lid down! (still working on Dh though and that darn lid!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:19 pm 

At the time I wrote my original post my son was very keen on
using his potty, now just after turning two he seems totally disinterested......maybe I pushed too hard or maybe it's just a stage.

I'm just trying to lay off pushing the whole 'potty thing' for awhile but every now and again I ask if he wants to use it, and normally his response is "no". But once in awhile he surprises me and asks to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:49 pm 

My son was 22 months when he trained himself.

And 24 1/2 months when he decided he wanted nothing to do with the potty at all! he was finally trained two weeks before he turned 3 when he was sick with diahrea for 3-4 days. My son had decided then that he was done with diapers/training pants and used the potty every since. He will tell you when he's ready. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:53 am 

My son is 6 and still sometimes likes to sit down and pee. Especially in the morning when he is lazy and too tired to stand up. He wasn't potty trained until he was like 3 1/2. The docs told me not to push the issue, he would do it when he was ready. Obviously there is a point when you need to start pushing if they are not progressing. You just have to go off of what he is comfortable with. If he wants to try to sit on the "big potty" then let him try. But if he has no interest, don't push it. Thats my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:52 am 

how is it that now days we parents are told not to push the children, let them dictate when they want to train. And yet, when we were little, our parents started training us at age two or earlier and most of us were trained by 2 1/2 or earlier? We have not suffered any ill wills toward being trained at our parents time schedule. I don't get it. A few kids in my family weren't trained until 4 because their parents didn't mention it until the day the kids just trained themselves. it seems a little excessive to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:47 am 

My son started to use the potty at 2 and a half years old. After about a week he started to pee in the toilet, but would poo in the potty. Eventually he started to poo in the toilet when he got a little bigger.

Post subject: Potty training
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:39 pm 

Congratulations on the potty training. My son is 26 months and I can't get him potty trained at all. We tried Dr. Phil's method. It doesn't work. One day he did poop on the potty. He got to call Thomas the Train and got a toy and the whole family made this whole big thing about it. But he hasn't done it since. Now he hides to poop and if I catch him and try to get him to go to the potty he screams. And if by chance I can get him to sit there without kicking and screaming he'll hold it in so he doesn't go. So I am guessing at this point he's just not ready. But if any one has any other ideas I would love to hear them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:39 pm 

Yeah, I think Dr. Phill's method is full of it. Didn't work for us or anyone I know...when the child is ready then they'll do it. One day my dd just decided it was time and started peeing in her potty. Now we just have to go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:52 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, tips, and words of encouragement.

As a followup to my original post, my son who is now 26 months is using his potty less than he was when I first posted this. He may use it once a day but will sometimes go a couple of days without using it unless I specifically say "lets go sit on your potty". Most times if I ask him to use it he will just say "no", at that point I just drop it and don't make an issue of it.

I've come to the conclusion that he will use it consistently when he is good and ready, but at the same time I try to remind him every now and then and praise him when he does use it.
Yesterday, he took his cookie monster stuffed toy put him on our toilet and made him pretend to pee, then took a piece of toilet paper and wiped cookie monster's bum, then flushed the toilet.... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:05 pm 

Hey evryone sorry i haven't been posting i been so busy with austin he was sleeping good until the time changed so we had to start all over again and he keep me busy during the day pretty much and then I'm tired at the end of the day he is watching tv right now he isn't potty train yet i wish he was he knows how to sit on the little potty but he just says peepee and gets up from it he just turned 18mos on the 16th i keep sitting him on it when i go to the bathroom but i have no idea what i am doing lol it was easy for me to teach my niece she saw me go and says can i she was about 2 at the time so i don't know how iam going to get austin trainned :) I'll try to post more

Post subject: Potty training
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:30 pm 

Since I last posted Mikey still hasn't used the method. I would like to see Dr. Phil over here and teaching him in one day. He keeps telling everyone when he goes on the potty Mommy is going to buy him a fish. And then they will say"Are you gonna go on the potty." and he tells them no. At least he's honest. My husbands new theory is just spend a day home and don't put anything on him. No diaper or anything. He doesn't think he will go all over the house. He thinks then he will just go in and use the potty. Hmmm maybe since he's so confident we should try it on a Sunday when he's watching the game. LOL!!