Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pregnant at 17
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:04 pm 

hard to believe but i'm pregnant and 17...the baby and i are doing well..its growing....its going to be a big baby...my dr had me have an ultrasound done last week when i went in for my monthly visit because she thought that i might be further along than what we figured....which at this point in time is nearly 17 weeks....and well ultrasound showed that when i had it done i was about 16 weeks which is where i should be at its just a big baby lol...anways i have to decide whether or not to keep it or give it up for adoption and i have no clue what to do..its so hard to try and decide with so many people pressuring me..if anybody has advice on how to make my decision...i'd be grateful to hear it.. thank you!

[center][font=Verdana]Little bundle of Joy[/font]
Image[/center]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:46 pm 

First of all CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Now, that is a decision you can only make by yourself. Don't listen to what other people say, you need to weigh the pros and cons; can you suport it financially as well as emotionally? Is the father still in the picture? There are a hundred different questions you need to ask yourself before you can make your decision. It's probably really hard. I say probably because for me there was no question. I am keeping my little girl no doubt about it! I got pregnant like 2 weeks after my 18th birthday and I am about to go into labour any time now. Becoming a mother at a young age is really, REALLY hard! Your life will never be the same again. Are you ready for that? Are you willing to give up the rest of your teen years? Are you ready to devote your life completely to your child instead of going out with friends and having fun? It is tough, I still get sad sometimes b/c all of my friends are having tons of fun while I am having tons of pain! Only a few of them rarely even call me anymore! But it's all worth it for my babygirl!

So anyway like I said, you have alot of thinking to do! But good luck on whatever decision you choose, and just to let you know I'm here if you want to talk!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:27 am 

It is a tough decision and like hannahs mommy said it is a decision only you can make. You must do what is right for you and your baby. Congrats and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:43 pm 

I'd suggest contacting some adoption agencies. I'm not saying put the child up for adoption, but rather get information on all sides. You can even go as far as meeting potential parents. You are under no obligation to choose adoption even if you meet with the couples.

Also, talk with your parents. See how much they'd be willing to support you whether it's financially or emotionally. At your age it is near impossible to do it alone. Don't let them make a decision for you, but take what they have to say into consideration.

Talk with the father. Keep in mind just because he says that he'll be there for you doesn't mean he will. I had a friend who was convinced by her child's father that he would support. The next morning he was packed up and gone. This might not be a problem in your situation. Just remember that you need to protect yourself first.

Get counseling. An independent party in this could help you see things clearly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:13 pm 

well mostly anyway- it's different for everyone. This decision must be yours and yours alone. I had my son when I was 17 (actulay 5 days before I turned 18) and I decided to raise him myself. It is the best decicion I have ever made. He is the most important thing in the world to me. But, I am lucky- I had alot of help and support from my family, I graduated college and will be starting on my masters this summer, and I found the man I was ment for- if there is such a thing.

I just want you to know that life does not end when you have a child. It gets harder- or maybe just different- but my son makes it all worth it to me. Many people will judeg you or try to tell you what to do- but the only way you will be able to live with the decision you make is for it to be your decision. Don't let anyone force you into something you don't want. If adoption is what you decide, it can be an incredible thing. There are many people who can't have a baby and desperately want one. I just kenw that i wouldn't be able to let go of my son.

Just make sure what you do is right for you.