Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:25 pm 

Do you ladies ever have problems with your toddlers playing with friends? Hannah just doesn't seem to get it. Mrs. Steve takes her over to visit friends probably once a week. Hannah gets VERY excited about the visits. Today, for instance, she was going to visit Abby. The whole day, Hannah said over and over, "I'm going to see Abby!!!" Then, my wife reports, when Hannah gets there she won't play with Abby at all. Not only that, but she's horrendously rude. Abby wanted to do several things with Hannah and all Hannah did was say over and over, "I don't WANT to do that!!!" Wife said it got to the point where Abby just crawled up on the couch, looking very confused.

This is an ongoing problem, to be honest. It seems like unless Hannah's playmates are doing what Hannah wants to do .. Hannah's not interested and gets very rude.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? We're perplexed about how we could have raised such an anti-social little girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:03 pm 

I don't know if this helps. But children don't really get the concept of playing together and sharing until they are at least four years of age. I would give her time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:33 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
I don't know if this helps. But children don't really get the concept of playing together and sharing until they are at least four years of age. I would give her time.

Well, that's the thing ... Abby and I think most of Hannah's other friends DO seem to get the concept. Abby is a bit older .. 3.75 I think .. but the rest of the friends are around the same age as Hannah. I dunno. I just had a talk with Mrs. Steve about how Hannah plays with the other kids in the playground who are a little closer in age with her (Hannah, not Mrs. Steve) and she says she's not sure. She says she'll try to pay closer attention. It could be that Hannah just gets frustrated because the play isn't being done in the way she wants. Who knows. She's a very spirited little girl, and if things aren't being done the way she wants, she'll let you know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:56 pm 

How is she when she plays with you and Mrs. Steve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:03 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
How is she when she plays with you and Mrs. Steve?

When I'm playing with her, we usually do what she wants :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:26 am 

I wonder if you and Mrs. Steve try once in a while doing what you want how she will react

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:40 am 

jenna103 wrote:
I wonder if you and Mrs. Steve try once in a while doing what you want how she will react

When it comes to play, we generally play the games she wants to play. Thinking back, the times when we've tried to do what WE want to do, she's gotten pretty upset. We don't usually give her a hard time because playtime is supposed to be fun, not discipline. She's generally not a spoiled kid, but this is one area where we've been known to give in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:07 pm 

This may be one of those lessons that she learns the hard way from her friends. She is going to notice them not playing with her or getting mad with her and then she may change her tune. Unless kids are torturing one another I usually let them work things out for themselves