Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:50 pm 

I was doing some reading on-line about breastfeeding and this one expert had said it was good to let your baby finish emptying one breast before moving to the other during a single feeding. The reason he gave was that the first milk (foremilk?) contains a lot of sugar and water and that the milk the baby got towards the end (hindmilk )contained more fat and calories to sustain the baby.

I read somewhere else that you should start on one breast for 5 min and then switch to the other breast and let the baby finish on the second breast. Then start the next feeding with the breast the baby finished on during the last feeding.

This is sort of confusing because one article says one thing, and the other says something totally different.

Jenna, or any other breastfeeding moms have any advice or can share their own personal experiences about what worked for them and their babies.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:53 pm 

One other question: how do you know when your breast is empty of milk?
Also, if you only offer the one breast and let the baby empty that, and the baby decides it doesn't want to feed on the other breast, won't that breast become so engorged? Then what do you do? I guess just express some milk.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:24 pm 

Hi Nikki!! When I started breastfeeding my son, I let him nurse from one side and then the other. Then I was told by the breastfeeding expert at my hospital that I should let him empty one breast at a feeding in order to get the hind milk. She said that somehow, you don't have a problem with being engorged on the side they didn't feed from. However, when I started doing this, my milk began to dry up! I had great milk letdown until I started doing this!! So...I may not be the best person to answer your question...it may have just been something with my crazy body!! I think the best advice is to let your baby feed from one side for a while (baby will let you know when there isn't anymore milk coming out!) and then switch to the other side if baby is still hungry. I hope it works well for you!!

Hugs,

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:29 pm 

Hey Nikki!!
WHen I had my son they told me to nurse five minutes on the left breast then switch him. THen let him nurse on the other breast until he was full. The next time he was ready to nurse start opposite sides. I dried up real fast with him and I think that was why. Payton is a big eater. I nurse her 15 minutes on one side and 15 on the other. The next time I start on the opposite side. And this time around I produce ALOT of milk. It's been working for us. When we first started she would just stay on one breast for like a half hour then when I would switch her she would be too tired to continue. When I asked the doctor he said you only have about 15 to 20 minutes of milk on each side. Anything after that they are just using you for a binky. At night she needs to nurse to go to sleep. So I nurse her on one side 15 minutes and then the other side she stays on until she goes to sleep. Even if it's a half hour. I don't know if this is how everyone does it but it's working for us. And like I said I am producing wa ymore then I was with Mikey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:50 pm 

Thank you both for the information. I plan on taking a breastfeeding class so hopefully I can get a lot of my questions and concerns answered at the class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:21 pm 

I hear those nursing classes are great. One very important tip: Don't stress about it. You will do fine. I noticed a lot fo my friends that put a lot of stress on breastfeeding weren't able to do it. I always thought the baby picked up on that. With both my babies I said if we can do it great; if not they have great formula's on the market now. You will be great Nikki don't worry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:50 pm 

Thanks Jenna! You are right. I'm just a bit of a worrier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:39 pm 

I'd like to help, but I have no practical experience in the matter :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:48 pm 

Thanks anyway Steve :wink: