Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:52 pm 

My husband things I am over reacting a bit. He said he was whipsering to Mikey this mroning when he was changing him and he heard him. He thinks it's something he is just saying. I don't know about that. I mean can he not hear certain pitches. I rmemeber when we were younger they thought my brother was losing his hearing. Ended up he was allergic to our dog. We got rid of the dog. And the hearing he lost he never got back but he didn't lose anymore. We have a dog although it's non allergic dog. Shih tzu have hair like humans but we do have a cat so I am wondering if it's that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:48 pm 

Could it be that his ears were a bit clogged up? Could be something as simple as that.

I'm happy to annouce that I think we're on the downside of the ear infection. My wife took Hannah to see the new Pooh movie today, so I had the boy to myself. He was in a great mood, and we had a blast together. He also napped quite well today. I suspect we'll have a lot of nighttime issues now, but if we know that he's not in pain I don't have a problem letting him cry for a while to get him re-adjusted.

*whew*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:43 pm 

YOU WEATHERED THE STORM!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
How was the pooh movie? I think my mom mentioned she wanted to take Mikey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:37 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
YOU WEATHERED THE STORM!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
How was the pooh movie? I think my mom mentioned she wanted to take Mikey

Thanks.

I don't know a thing about the movie first-hand. Hannah seemed to like it, though. To be honest, however, she loves popcorn and will sit through practically anything animated so long as she has a big bag of it in front of her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:06 am 

Hmm I haven't given Mikey popcorn yet. It makes me nervous. He loved the polar express. Sat through the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:46 pm 

I don't do the popcorn either and won't for a long time, way to much to risk! I know several children who have died from it. I also have a friend who had a friend whose child choked to death on a hotdog and his dad was a dr. There are way too many danger foods out there. I was thinking about taking my dd to the movie also. We sneak in the fake popcorn, puff corn(I think), when we go so she doesn't get upset about not getting popcorn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:52 pm 

Mikey loves hotdogs. And my mom panics everytime she is here and he eats one.
I get mikey a pretzel and the movies. The stick ones you can dip in cheese he loves those

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:14 pm 

Oh my dd LOVES hotdogs also. That is her main staple. I used to slice them lengthwise before she ate them for the choking hazard. We don't have anything like that at our little rinky dink theater that I take her to, just popcorn & gooey candies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:50 pm 

I used to cut up Mikey hot dogs small and take the skins off. Now he eats them in a bun like a big boy.
Our thearter is great like that. We have ice cream in there. Starbucks, nachos, pretzels. Lots of options. It's new I think that is why

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:05 pm 

Mom of 2 wrote:
I don't do the popcorn either and won't for a long time, way to much to risk! I know several children who have died from it.

You personally knew several children who died from choking on popcorn? Or, are you saying you know OF several children? I'm guessing that's the case. If so, I'm sure I could find accounts of children choking and dying on all kinds of things.

My opinion (everyone parents differently .. not preaching) is that you can't shelter them from everything. We tell her she's only allowed to eat one piece at a time, and once she's swallowed that piece she can have another. She's good about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:52 pm 

I ACTUALLY know them. I'm sure I could search also and read about tons more also. However, I strongly feel that I'm not sheltering my child by not allowing popcorn or hard candies at this age. I'm protecting her. I could care less how another parent raises their child, unless the child was in danger obviously. To each his own. However some parents are ignorant about things like that so I thought I'd throw in my 2cents. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:05 pm 

I think with the whole "popcorn thing" it depends a lot on the kid whose eating it. Alex tends to put a lot of food in his mouth at one time, which freaks me out and I tell him not to.
We have given him popcorn before and he has started choking so I didn't give him any for a long time. A few months ago, I made popcorn for us and we watched a movie together and he did fine with it. I just really kept my eye on him and had him put only one or two pieces at a time in his mouth, and of course he had a drink right beside him.
I've never given him any hard candy because that can splinter in your mouth.....it's happened to me. But last week, he got a lollipop from his playgroup for Valentine's day and he just licked it till it was finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:13 pm 

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard of this before or read about it, but I've heard that giving too many hotdogs (I think more than 2 a wk), to a child under 3, can increase their chances of developing cancer later on in life. I think the article mentioned that hotdogs have a lot of nitrates and other preservatives in them that can put a child at a higher risk of developing cancer later in life. I can't remember if the article was put out by the Cancer Society but I remember reading a few months ago and since then I have cut back on Alex's hotdog intake.
In the summer he was eating at least three a week, I would just barbeque them for lunch for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:59 pm 

Oh I don't give them that often. Usually when Mike is away I make them one night for dinner for Mikey and I; with mac 'n cheese. THat is the best dinner. I don't like to give them more then that cause of the salt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:17 am 

Mom of 2 wrote:
I ACTUALLY know them. I'm sure I could search also and read about tons more also. However, I strongly feel that I'm not sheltering my child by not allowing popcorn or hard candies at this age. I'm protecting her. I could care less how another parent raises their child, unless the child was in danger obviously. To each his own. However some parents are ignorant about things like that so I thought I'd throw in my 2cents. :)

Wow .. sorry to hear that about the kids you know.

I wouldn't give Hannah hard candy, certainly not at her age. It's going to be a long time before she gets that.