Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:41 pm 

Well my son is screaming bloody murder right now. I'm letting him go for a few minutes to see if it's just a wakeup, but I'm sure it's his double ear infection. We had him down to waking up once a night, but he's now back to twice a night. I'll have to go up and tick him off with the ear drops and then feed him to settle him down, even though I'm certain he's not hungry. Then he'll be awake again at 4am, which is my wife's turn but will wake me up nonetheless.

ARGH!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:27 am 
Steve I feel your pain, though yours is much worse. Lily was sleeping through the night wonderfully, then the teeth started coming ing so she is waking up once sometimes twice a night. It is so hard because you know that all your hard work to get them where they are is going in the toilet. I am so worried even after the teeth come in she will still get up because she knows mommy will come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:17 am 

THe ear infection is no better? My goodness this seems like a long time. How long did the doctor say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:35 pm 

Oh Steve, that poor baby. I would have thought he would have had some relief by now. I hope he feels better real soon. Keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:33 pm 

I hope your son is feeling better soon. It's the worst when you see them in so much pain, but you can't really help. The medicine should be working soon, shouldn't it?

My son developed his first ear infection soon after his second birthday and it was just terrible. He came home from shopping with my hubby screaming and crying...we had no idea what could be the problem. I just knew it was not normal and we had to get him to the doctor right away.
Sure enough, it was an ear infection. Poor baby, all I could do was hold him, and massage his back while he layed his head in my lap.
The antibiotics he got worked like magic. The next morning after taking his medicine he seemed so much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:13 pm 

Mikey just had an ear infection but the doctor wouldn't give him antibotic. Said it needs to run it's course. I was surprised though cause Payton had one two weeks prior and they gave her amoxcil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:41 pm 

He MIGHT be getting better. He didn't have his ear drops all day today (wife forgot them) and he seemed alright. His last day on the antibiotic is Sunday. Last time he had one he needed two courses of the stuff, though. If he is getting better, we're going to have to do some serious "crying out" to get him back on track sleeping :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:43 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
Mikey just had an ear infection but the doctor wouldn't give him antibotic. Said it needs to run it's course. I was surprised though cause Payton had one two weeks prior and they gave her amoxcil

That's odd. Maybe he suspected it was viral and not bacterial? There is such a thing as a viral ear infection I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:50 pm 

Jenna- Did the doc. say why he wouldn't give Mikey antibiotics?
Maybe it just depends on the severity of the ear infection.
And some doctors don't like to over prescribe antibiotics because these viruses that cause infections can become antibiotic-resistent.

Alex's infection I think was pretty bad because he would not stop crying and fussing......I don't know what we would have done without the antibiotics. His doctor was going to give him Amoxicillin but he had a bad reaction to it before...he got diarrhera bad, so he gave him another antibiotic that worked really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:49 pm 

Many articles I've read said you should first try to ride out an ear infection especially if the child is older and just give tylenol/motrin for pain. Medications are being highly overprescribed, usually just to satisfy a parent and things like ear infections are becoming highly resistant to medications. When my dd was little she also had to be given a 2nd, different antibiotic because the first didn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:50 pm 

Ihad just called to make mikey an appointment and the doctor called me back and asked how I knew he had an ear infection and I told him he was pulling at the ears. So he said he feels doctors over prescribe antibotics and he doesn't give them for an ear infection. He said just motrin for the pain. So I mentioned how payton had one two weeks prior and she got the antibiotics. And he said it was because she was so young. Although my husband and I were just talking cause over the last week or two Mikey has said to me on three different occassions that he can't hear things. Twice it was the TV and tonight it was his fish thing. So now I think it's time we see the doctor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:36 pm 

That is not good Jenna, that Mikey is telling you he is having trouble hearing. It could get worse.....I would definitely go to the doctor.
I know this is not the case with Mikey because you mentioned how his language skills are very good for his age, but I have read articles on speech development and speech delay and that is the first thing they look for with speech delay, is hearing problems due to repeated or untreated ear infections.

Alex has only ever had one ear infection or as far as we know he's only had one, and his hearing seems to be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:52 am 

Trouble hearing could mean a burst eardrum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:26 am 

WOuldn't a bursted ear drum be really painful?
I am calling Monday for an appointment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:22 am 

jenna103 wrote:
WOuldn't a bursted ear drum be really painful?
I am calling Monday for an appointment

Yeah .. it probably would be. I don't mean to worry you. Hearing loss is something to get checked out, though. Don't feel like you have to go in this weekend. If it was REALLY bad you'd know it. It could just be a little crack or tear or something. My niece's eardrum has been damaged by ear infections several times and she's had no permanent hearing loss yet.