Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rh Factor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:33 pm 

Hi- I never had a blood test until I got pregnant. I found out that I have O negative and my husband has O positive. I have heard bad things about the Rh factor and am nervous. Has anyone had the Rh factor and how did or does it work in pregnancy. I heard it is worse with the second one but the first time I heard about it was when I found out we had conflicting blood types at my 12 week appointment. Please help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:00 am 

Hi There,

Yes, I know what you mean about your worry of the rh negetive issue. However - don't worry!

First time I found out about my blood type was also at my first check up at the dr's. I am A- while my dh is A+. The problem normally isn't a worry with the first pregnancy, and when your baby is born they will check his/her blood type and then give you an injection to prevent you from forming antibodies in any further pregnancies. I have two boys and both are A+ and I never had any problems during my pregnancies with my body trying to form antibodies against the baby's. So you really don't have anything to worry about. Your dr. will look after you :wink:

Love Lopke

Post subject: Rh Factor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:17 am 

I work in a lab and we test pregnant women to determine their blood type before they deliver.

Rh factor is a genetic trait, just like eye color or hair color. Your husband is Rh positive, meaning he has the Rh factor on his red blood cells. You are Rh negative, so your red cells lack this factor.

If your baby inherits the Rh factor from your husband, she will be Rh positive. (The same way she would inherit blue eyes or blonde hair). Your body will "see" the Rh factor in her blood and treat it as a foreign object. Your body will begin making antibodies to the Rh factor (antibodies are the little "soldiers" that attack foreign things and keep your body healthy).

These antibody "soldiers" probably won't harm your first baby because they are just now forming and haven't gained strength yet. BUT - here's the important part - when you get pregnant with another Rh positive baby, those antibodies immediately spring into action and start attacking those foreign invaders (your baby's blood cells). This can cause your baby to become low on blood while it's still in the womb. Not good.

However, there is an easy treatment for this. The drug Rhogam is given to all Rh negative mothers who have Rh positive partners. It prevents the production of anti-Rh in the mother, and ensures that future babies will be safe. Your Dr. will tell you when this is needed.

Sorry for the long answer. That's the condensed version! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:54 am 

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the doctor told me that I will be getting a shot of Rhogam at 28 weeks and then again after delivery. It still sounds scary but she said not to be worried. Easier said than done!!