Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:15 am 

My husband and I have always rocked our baby to sleep (now 11 months). I have always enjoyed it and will continue to rock him to sleep as long as he needs me. I have always gone to him when he cried and will continue to do so.

For the last week he won't let me put him down in his crib, he has to be asleep for about 20 mins. Used to only take 10 mins at the most, and he didn't have to be completely asleep. These days most of the night is spent rocking in the chair in his room. I usually fall asleep there and awaken several hours later, he is completely asleep so I put him in his crib and go to bed only to wake up to his cries 30 mins later. When he was 6 months old he went through a phase like this but it only lasted a few days. I hope this is just another phase. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, I have tried bringing him into our bed and the same thing happens. He likes being in our arms. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:55 am 

Try putting her to sleep on the bed http://www.greatdad.com/tertiary/411/1843/ebay-store-baby-products.html. Keep a pillow beside her so that she doesn't fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:22 am 

hey....my baby didn't sleep for me until he was 8 months old too...he was just resisting sleep as well. Some of the tips I read and summarised below really helped me. Tell me if it works for you. But yes, if the baby is actually resisting sleep, crying it out method may work too for babies older than 6 months.
http://www.squidoo.com/baby-sleep-though-the-night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am 

When my child was a baby, I used to sing her a lullaby (one I made up) and it worked like a charm everytime. And I certainly am no singer. Maybe try that. Probably your baby just needs to be distracted from the crying so need to change the pattern.

Post subject: Big fans of co-sleeping
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:17 am 
Site Admin

We are big fans of having the baby sleep in bed with us. The key word in that sentence is "with". Babies expect to be with their mothers; they are genetically programmed for it. Then people don't understand why the baby cries when put to sleep by him/herself in a separate room...

This is definitely worth a try.

Falling off the bed IS a problem though when the baby gets old enough to move around, so we actually took away the frame and the box spring and put the mattress directly on the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:20 pm 

I don't think I agree with the CIO method myself. I do think it's a bit harsh when our babies can only communicate with us by crying. How do you know if he/she is crying just b/c you put them in their crib or if they really need something or something is truly wrong. YOU DON'T. It does break my heart when my son cries. Maybe it's b/c I'm a sucker and a first time mother. Who knows??? I just have lots of reservations about it so I don't think I'm going to try it. For us mothers who have what they call a "high need" baby, it's almost impossible to do the CIO method. Like the one mother said, my child would just cry and cry and cry and probably wouldn't fall asleep and then I would be spending even more time to try to calm them down from getting themselves all worked up. It just ends up stressign everyone out with no results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:54 am 

kimnak wrote:
My husband and I have always rocked our baby to sleep (now 11 months). I have always enjoyed it and will continue to rock him to sleep as long as he needs me. I have always gone to him when he cried and will continue to do so.

For the last week he won't let me put him down in his crib, he has to be asleep for about 20 mins. Used to only take 10 mins at the most, and he didn't have to be completely asleep. These days most of the night is spent rocking in the chair in his room. I usually fall asleep there and awaken several hours later, he is completely asleep so I put him in his crib and go to bed only to wake up to his cries 30 mins later. When he was 6 months old he went through a phase like this but it only lasted a few days. I hope this is just another phase. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, I have tried bringing him into our bed and the same thing happens. He likes being in our arms. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Kimnak,
I am having the exact same issue with my almost 15 month old. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now. I'm glad to hear someone else having the exact same problem.. but I hope to get some advice on how to cure his seperation anxiety cause it's wearing me out!! Bedtime use to take 10 minutes.. now it can take hours!!! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:26 am 

I still swing my baby and his already 16months old. He is the same kind as your baby is. He does not sleep without me rocking him. We tried stopping the use of the swing but he would really never have a good night sleep so I was forced to continue using the swing even though he is too old. It is for his sake. Anyway, right now, he is opting to sleep on the bed during daytime and nighttime. So, I guess that it will really come a time that they would not rely anymore with the swing. Babies have different and unique progress and development.