Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:16 pm 

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum so I hope Im in the right discussion group...
My baby is 7 mths and she just wont go to sleep on her own. I still have to either rock her to sleep every night & even for her naps during the day! I was just wondering if anyone had any hints to help me be able to just put her on her cot and she'll go to sleep. I have seen other babies her age do it on their own. Will she outgrow it or should I change her habits now?
Some people say if shes tired she'll sleep but she doesnt, she just gets overtired and real moody then its even harder to get her to sleep!
She doesnt even sleep thru the night yet. She wakes up about 2-3 times for a feed.
I am currently in the process of weening her off breastmilk but thats only been the last 2 weeks.
Can anyone help? It can take me 1/2 hr to just rock her to sleep and I almost wanna sleep too! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:49 pm 

Hello fellow Aussie,first this is a common problem so your not alone! :D Have you ever considered buting a baby rocker\swing,one of those automated ones? maybe that would work? other than that Dr Christopher Green helped me alot with his book Toddler taming even though it's about toddlers some of the tips are really good. It really depends how much of a problem it is for you. Self settling is a learned behavoiur so it may take a while,but persaveer,I just had to ween my 22month old out of my bed so it does happen .Good luck :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:15 am 

Have you tried letting her "cry it out" at night? That's what helped hayden start sleeping through the night.

Also I think 7 months is too big for a baby swing. I'd recommend trying to lay her down periodically when she is sleepy and see if she can go to sleep on her own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm 

I used to have a baby swing and that worked but yes she is too old now.
Shes not really a crying baby. She just whinges and sooks and its usually b/c she wants breast milk or she just isnt tired.
my husband tells me to let her cry but I feel bad doing it! I thought maybe she was a bit too young to start doing that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:13 pm 

My niece is eight months old and she used to be like that. She lived with me for 5 months and i used to sit up at night and before her naps and rock her or pat her back untill she would fall asleep. But that didnt bother me, it was the fact that she would fight her sleep....I read in a magazine that babies fight their sleep because they dont ease into sleep like we do. They go from being WIDE awake and playful to all of a sudden feeling like they are going to fall asleep. and It frustraits them. I would asume your baby will grow out of it. My niece did. It was like one day she decided to just lay down and go to sleep on her own. and she might start sleeping through the night once you stop breastfeeding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:34 pm 

There should be a baby centre near you Treslianne is in victoria or try calling your local health or baby nurse :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:34 pm 

No 7 months is a pretty healthy time to start letting her cry it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:21 am 

This is a very sensitive subject for many mothers, so please don't be offended if you don't like my idea (well, I suppose you are here for advice, right? :D )

Your daughter is plenty old enough to cry it out. You probably should have done this months ago. What is great about the "tough love" approach is that it REALLY WORKS! Your daughter knows that she has you right where she wants you, and why would she fall asleep on her own, she knows Mommy will rock her to sleep?

I let my son put himself to sleep starting around three months old. It took a little getting used to (the longer you wait, the HARDER it will be, trust me) but now I've given my toddler a great gift. He can sooth himself to sleep, which is a talent he will use all his life.

You're not a bad mother for letting this go as long as you have (ok, seven months old isn't THAT old, but now is really the time to nip this in the bud) And you DO have it in you to do this!

When she is getting sleepy for bedtime or naptime, (before she is overtired) simply give her a cuddle, and a quick nurse if you want to, then kiss her cheek and put her in her crib. Tell her you love her, then LEAVE THE ROOM AND DO NOT GO BACK. THis WILL work! She may fuss/cry for over an hour or two, but she'll figure it out, and every nap/bed time the fussing time will get shorter and shorter.

Good luck, you CAN do this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:37 pm 

I would have to say I totally agree with Suzanne and Heather on this one. She is definitely not too young to cry it out and the sooner you do it, the better. The longer you continue to rock her to sleep, the harder it will be to break.
I also know this from personal experience with my son. My son had colic and all we could do was hold him and rock him to keep him calm and we would have to rock him into a deep sleep before putting him down in his crib. It was extremely tiring to the point where I just couldn't do it anymore. By 3 1/2 months, I decided I would put him in his crib awake for his nap/bedtime. He did cry the first night or two only for about 5 or 10 min and that was it .....we never had to rock him again. We started putting on his Fisher Price Ocean Wonders aquarium every night and he would put himself to sleep with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:13 pm 

I do this too,but I wait until they are 12 months old,it usually takes 3 nights to get them to the point of doing it themselves,Dr. christopher Green calls it controlled crying and doesn't suggest it for under 1's.Each to there own .Good Luck. Also I don't have a problem with nite feeds cos it's the only time I get alone with the baby. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:31 am 

Thanks everyone for their advice! I might have to try the "letting her cry" method (as much as it breaks my heart!).
Tracey I did hear that you shouldnt really do it for under 1's too.
I'll see how I go....thanks everyone you have been helpful (i wont tell my hubby though cos he'll just say "told you so!" hahaha.... :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:52 pm 

just a different opinion for you. there are lots of different parenting techniques that mothers follow. letting a child "cry it out" is one of them but it is not for everyone. i never let my daughter cry and she is 1 year old. if you have all these reservations, i dont think you should do it. for the last 7 months you have been there for your daughter comforting her as she tries to get to sleep. your actions have developed a trust between you. she knows you will be there for her in her time of need. now you are going to completely change everything on her. you rocking her is all she knows so she may be more traumatized than say a baby who from the beginning didnt need rocking. there are MANY articles in strong opposition to letting a child cry it out. certain chemicals are released in the brain which have negative effects on a child. by letting her CIO, you are no longer comforting her so of course eventually she wont not cry anymore, but did you "teach"(i have that word regarding sleep making it sound as if a baby is a puppy) her to go to sleep or has she just learned that she cries and no one cares. a baby cannot communicate except for crying. letting her cry and you not coming can confuse her because other times she cries and you do come. you should do research on negative effects of CIO before you decide. almost all agree that the child does go to sleep out of exhaustion not because he knows to go to sleep. also most research suggest that parents who let a child CIO end up, not knowinglytry, letting their child cry more in the day than non CIO parents. the reason is just that they are more used to and not bothered by the crying as parents who dont allow their children to CIO. reading DR SEARS who explains high need babies perfectly. my daughter is rocked for 5 mins everynight and i prefer that to ever hearing her cry. it actually takes less time than when my sister puts her son down who does cry it out. my daughter doesnt require alot of sleep so she will fight it. she act exactly the same whether she has 2 45 min naps or 1 20 min in a day. acts the same with 8 hours at night or 11. she would not cry herself to sleep anyway because she will fight sleep and stay up even if she is tired. if your daughter is like mine, letting her cry will get her more upset and you will have more trouble trying to calm the baby down after. also, there is no agreement from supporters of CIO for a time frame. everyone says different lengths of time. no one can tell me letting a baby cry for 45 mins is a good thing. how can you decide when it isnt working or not or do you just wait however long it takes for the baby to "pass out". rocking lets her go to sleep when i think is a good time. there is so much more information you should know before making this decision but my post is already too long. just please research before making the choice. remember you have to decide do you want to do whats best for the baby or whats easiest for yourself. that is truly the main difference in the techniques. above all, question why you have so much reservation and fear about letting her CIO. if you arent comfortable with something for your baby, why do it. there are alot of people that dont let their baby cry it out. good luck.

REMEMBER- humans are born completely dependant on thier parents. you have a lifetime with your child but you only have a short time with your baby. dont be in a rush because soon your baby wont ever want you to rock her again. cherish this special time. it will be gone before you know it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:06 am 
I got goose pimples when i read the last para of marie's post... and happy that some one thinks alike... I completely believe that our babies are humans..we just don need to go by the book or wht others say ..or wht is easiest for us..we need to see wht is it that our baby needs.. they will grow to be independent in a few more years and tht physical closeness would keep reducing as they would have their own liking and dislikings.. and they would be independent.. I rock my baby till now..She will be 18 months on 2nd July..I have rocked her from day 1 and I will continue to do that..Me and my husband have rocked her for almost 2-3 hours at a strech so many days that you cant even imagine... we've sometimes slept only for 3-4 hours..it did lead to frustration some times..rather many times..but i can never even think of letting my baby CIO. Her baby face would move in front of my eyes and her cheeks with tears rolling down would kill me... I love my baby enugh to let go off my comfort.. i am a working mother and only two days i get is the weekend with her 24 hrs... weekdays the moment i come in ..i feed her..play with her and rock her to sleep..she fights big time with her sleep..and wud never ever go off to sleep on her own..but i wud stay awake with her and rock her to sleep..And I love doing it..love when she falls asleep in my arms as an innocent soul who needs help and love from us at every second in this world till they become independent to not need us so much..and I would still say HAPPY ROCKING :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:30 am 
I am so glad I am not the only one who still rocks my baby (19months) to sleep. I always want my face to be the last thing she sees when she goes to sleep, instead of crying to sleep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:12 pm 

The important thing to work on with both naps and bedtime is develop some sort of routine or 'wind down' time with your baby. Ideally, this should start BEFORE your baby gets overtired (yawning, rubbing eyes, pulling ears, etc.) You probably have a pretty good idea of how long your baby can stay up between naps whether it be 2 hrs or 3 hrs.
My baby is four months and she only has the capacity to stay up 1 1/2 hrs between naps.

Anyways, do something soothing and comforting like singing a lullaby, reading a short book, talking quietly to her...whatever you like but be consistent daily...then try laying her down when you see she is a little sleepy but not totally asleep.
She may or may not give a little protest cry...this should only last a couple of minutes. If she cries hard, go to her, and soothe her...tell her to go to sleep or just rub her back and say nothing.
It's all about trial and error to see what works best for the both of you.

If you are tired of rocking her to sleep which it sounds like you are....do something else to soothe her ( what I mentioned above) and if you are uncomfortable with CIO then go to her after a few minutes of crying and soothe her, then leave. There is a happy medium. CIO doesn't have to necessarily mean you let her cry for 20 minutes. Do what you feel is best for your baby and yourself.