Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rude two year old
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:04 am 

I know what you're thinking .. THEY'RE ALL RUDE! Well, ours is a bit more than most. My Hannah is an above-average talker, and sometimes that's a bad thing. She's not too great around people she doesn't know very well and sometimes, if she's not in the mood, will let them know she's not interested .. very loudly. She'll say things like, "I don't HAVE to talk to her!" or "I don't like that!" if they try to talk to her. I know she's not aware of being rude and most people understand that two-year-olds are monsters, but it's awfully embarrassing. Any tips on getting her to stop this crap? We will stop and tell her that's not appropriate behavior when she does it, but it hasn't done any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:09 am 

Hi Steve

I just wanted to say: SHAME! I don't look forward to getting to that stage! But kids will be kids, and most people (who have children) know that they say things that aren't always nice.

Best of luck...

Lopke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:35 pm 

Quote:
I just wanted to say: SHAME!

Huh? You lost me. Do I have something to be ashamed of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:36 am 

What??????? I never said anything about being ashamed!!! Sorry if you took me up wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:32 am 

Hi Steve. I just wanted to say that My eldest is 4 and I used to worry about him. He could be so rude sometimes and it used to bother me that people would think of him in a horrible way. However please dont be worried about her just carry on letting her know that its wrong. Or maybe tell her you will take away toys if it continues. It worked for us and since starting playgroup hes been a different child!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:32 am 

Don't be worried about it, i think its pretty normal, kids at that age are very honest with things, i know its uncomfortable for you but talk to her and explain to her, if it doesnt work than there's not too much you can do, she's an honest kid, let her have her honesty :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 am 

I think taking toys away for her expressing herself is a debatable subject. My son, also a very early talker, was like this and what i found was not only was he an early talker, he was also very early in comprehending what i was telling him. perhaps if you explained to her that saying things a certain way can hurt other peoples feelings and then give an example of what she SHOULD say. example she could say instead "I'd rather keep to myself right now" or "I'd don't feel like talking right now." Then, when it happens you can ask her quietly to use "nice words". Then when she does use nice words, thank her for it!

IMHO, it's never to early to start kids with manners, even in language. Even a one year old can be taught to say thank you and please whether verbally or with sign language. Not to say your daughter doesn't have manners. I'm just saying if it bothers you and you'd like to change it, you can ask her to say it differently.