Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SCARED OUT OF MY MIND!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:03 pm 

Hi everyone.

I am 6 months along and scared out of my mind. I know that I have 3 months to go but I am so scared that I won't know what to do seeming how this is my first baby. I just have these dreams that my delivery is going to take forever and that I won't be able to go through with it. If anyone has any advise please HELP! :?

Kimberly - 12/29/1981
Nathan - 03/21/1979
Married - 07/19/2003
Due - 03/29/2005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:00 pm 

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! The anxiety and nervousness you feel is totally normal. I think every or most first time mothers go through this.....I know I did. Towards the end I got really nervous about labour.
Try to relax, and do things to take your mind off of worrying.....go for a walk, go to the movies, dinner, etc.

Once your baby is born things will come naturally to you but at the same time get help from friends and family because sometimes things can get a bit overwhelming. Lots of people will try to give you advice regarding feeding and schedules, naps, diaper changes etc. You will see what works best for you and your baby.

Good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:34 pm 

Nikki thank you so much for responding to me. The advise you have really sound good. I will try and relax and think about other things. It is just so scary to think that your life will change in three months. I was alright in the beginning but now that it is getting closer it is more scary. I am glad that there are people out there like you that I can talk to. Thank you. :)

Kimberly - 12/29/1981
Nathan - 03/21/1979
Married - 07/19/2003
Due - 03/29/2005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:23 pm 

I think about that alot too. It is scary!! I have even less time than you (by about a month and a half). I just try and think that there are so many women who have done it who were also scared and they are fine. Just try and be educated, go to classes etc so you know as much as possible what to expect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:28 pm 

I have less time than all of you ARGH and I am really feeling the pressure too!! And I'm only 18 :cry: lol I know how you feel but you cant stop it now! You've got to go through with it no matter what! just keep reminding yourself that it is all for your beautiful baby! it cant live in there forever :wink: And I don't think anyone would want it too! Just think that after all this you will be able to hold your baby and have your body back too! I personally just want to skip labor... if only that were possible! Every day I think to myself will it be today? Mabey? Probably not but you never know. You've just got to go on with your life! It's gonna happen eventually. I'm really sorry if I sound semi unsensitive I've been like this through my whole pregnancy lol. And Marianne's first is right; being well informed is very important. Read up as much as you can about what to expect before, during, and after labor! Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:41 pm 

You will be alright youre body will guide you through it. Believe me if you are doing anything wrong the nurses in labor and delivery will help you out. Everything will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:32 pm 

You got some great advice. I was sooooo nervous my first time around too and I am being perfectly honest with you. The whole time I was in labor I kept waiting for it to get worse. You hear these awful stories. I promise you it's not as bad as people make it. Goodness if it was I wouldn't have had a second. Even delivery wasn't that bad. Now abviously it's no walk in the park there is some pain but it's not as bad as you think it is. And you will amaze youself in what you can doing bringing your child into the world. Good luck we are all routing you girls on!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:16 am 
i just wanted to say good luck.. im at 36 and a half i think and this is my first.. im scared witless, plus i found out yesterday that i am anemic, and have edema and i also have developed gestational diabetes, my docs and me and my family are freaking out since im so close to my due date.. just hang in there, eat right, take it easy, and let things come naturally.. you will do great! :-D i will letu know how everything went with my delivery to set your mind at ease a little ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:46 pm 

MYFIRSTBABY:

I forgot to ask if you had planned on taking any pre-natal or parenting classes??
My husband and I took pre-natal classes and they really prepare you for childbirth and labour. They teach breathing methods, how to focus, how to have your partner/support person do massage, etc.
There are also lots of great books out there that you can read.

The one piece of advice though is that every labour is not "textbook" and sometimes you go in expecting it to be a certain way and things work out differently..... For myself, I expected and wanted a vaginal delivery and I ended up with an emerg. c-sec. And I'm glad for it because I had a healthy baby boy.
Just trust your heart and your instincts and they will always guide you in the right direction regardless of what anyone says. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:24 pm 

NIKKI,

I am thinking about it but I don't know because I have heard that when you go into labor you don't really think about any of the things that you learned. Also in my family labor always goes really fast. I know that each person is different and I know that if I am going to take classes I need to start now. When did you start your classes?

[/img]

Last edited by MYFIRSTBABY on Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:27 pm 

Myfirstbaby; I am not sure where you live but I know here the lamaze classes are mandatory and if your husband expects to go in if you have a c section he has to take a class and get certified. That may just be a New York thing though. Either way I would strongly recommend you take lamaze. You'd be surprised what you remember and what you don't remember there will be your husband to coach you and the nurses to help. It really does make a world of difference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:33 pm 

MYFIRSTBABY,

I think I had my classes scheduled in July and I was due Sept. 2. They wouldn't let me schedule them sooner......it all has to due with your due date.
Where I'm from...Toronto, Canada, the classes are not mandatory unlike where Jenna is from. Also, my husband was in the OR with me during my c-section and he didn't have to be certified or anything like that.
It all depends where you live.

I do agree with you that you do sometimes get caught up in the moment during labour and forget everything they taught you in pre-natal classes.
All I remember is that I had to have my husband right by my side so I could squeeze his hand during the contractions. And had him running to get me a cold facecloth to put on my head.....it's also helpful to suck or bite on it.
I wish you a quick and easy labour and most importantly a healthy baby!!