Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:42 am 
Okay, I'm looking for help from you experenced with this. My Lily has started solids and she is enjoying them alot. I'm trying to figure out how much to feed and when. She is a formula fed baby so should I continue to give her the same amount plus the solids? If any of you could tell me what kind of schedule you worked on when starting solids that would be great. She goes to the doc on friday so I will talk to him to but I know alot of you have been through this already :)

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/lilymace/

Last edited by Krissimace on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:54 pm 

Hi,

You never mentioned how old your daughter was. But for the first year, formula or breastmilk should still be the main source of nutrition for your baby and not be replaced by solids. But at the same time it's important for your daughter to get used to solids and try different foods.

If I was trying something new, I woud give my son the solid first because I knew he was hungry and would be more willing to try it but only a few teaspoons of the solid and then give him his bottle. Sometimes he would only drink 4-6oz of his bottle after having his solids.
Some people prefer to give the bottle first, and then the solids.
I myself, always found this confusing and I tried doing it both ways....solids first, then the bottle, and vice versa. I think as long as your daughter is getting a minimum of 24oz of formula in a day, then she is ok.
But I would just make a list of questions for your doctor and ask him on Friday.
I used to have two feeding guides/charts that I used as my guideline....unfortunately I don't have them anymore, I gave them to my SIL.
Sorry I couldn't help more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:38 pm 

Looking at your ticker it tooks like your little girl is not quite four months yet. So she will just be on cereal for now. If you buy gerber on the side it says how to make it. I think it's a teaspoon of formula and a teaspoon of cereal. First just start it once a day. I prefered night cause they tend to sleep better. THen in about a month it will be twice a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:58 pm 
I have been giving it to her in the morning since she has been sleeping through the night since 2 months, 7:00 pm bedtime and wakes up at 6:30 AM like clockwork. I was actually going to wait until we were in the 4th month to start the solids but she started mimicing us when we were eating and when we held a spoon or fork to our mouths she would move her mouth like she was eating. She is a big girl, 17 lbs and she is just turning 4 months. She can't get enough of the ceral, she took to it right away with hardly any spitting out and she gets so upset because I can't feed her fast enough. Plus the she drinks her whole regular bottle afterwards. I just don't want to be feeding her too much. She is almost mobile already, she can scoot backwards and forwards and can get into crawling position but can't figure it out so I guess the weight gain will slow down once she starts moving more. It is just nice to see what everyone else did with solids to use as a helpful guideline. :D

Last edited by Krissimace on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:05 am 

Sorry, I was half asleep when replying to your post and didn't even see
your ticker :roll:

It sounds like she may be ready to start vegetables and fruits soon, but check with your doctor. At that age, I was giving my son cereal once a day, and around 5 months I started vegtables, then fruits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 am 

Check out a book called "Super Baby Food". I think that's the right name. It has a lot of schedules and such, plus recipes to make your own baby food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:32 am 

Sounds like Nikki and I Were on the same schedule for food. And she's right it sounds like she's ready for fruits and vagtables but it still seems kind of early. You may need to check with your doctor.
Steve if you tell me you make your own baby food we are voting you in for Dad of the month. Cause I must say I am impressed with how you post on here and get involved in this stuff. Making baby food will just send you over the top

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:04 pm 

My son is now 5 months old. I started feeding him rice cereal just shy of 4 months (I think it was 10 days early) because the formula just wasn't satisfying him (he is a big boy, at 4 months he was 17 lbs 12 ozs and 27 inches long). I had the same worries at you... what should his eating schedule be? At that time he was drinking 7 ounces of formula 5 times a day.

When I started the cereal I started with 1 tbsp., just to get him used to it. I would give him like 4-5 ounces of his bottle first, then the cereal, then another ounce or so. After a week, I did this twice a day because once just wasn't enough.

I am now in the middle of going through each of the fruits (I already did veggies) one at a time, for a few days each. I have since cut out one of his bottles of formula because he was decreasing the amount of each one because of the solids and mealtime was a fight. He now takes 6-7 ounces bottles 4 times a day (about 25-30 ounces a day). At noon I give him 2 tbsp. of cereal mixed with about 1-2 ounces of formula and at night he gets a 2.5 ounce jar of veggies or fruit (it is at this feeding that I cut out the bottle). It seems to be working well. Sometimes he wants a bigger bottle before bed (like 8-9 ounces) because he didn't get one at the feeding before, but I just let him drink till he is full. He also gets 2 ounces of apple juice mixed with 2 ounces of water once a day (but only because he was having a problem with bowl movements).

Hope this helps! It is really tricky and I question every day whether I am doing it right. I too am a first time mom. I think what is most important is that you judge by your kid's appetite, because all babies are different. When I told my doctor what I was doing, she seemed okay with it, so I guess it is okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:33 pm 
Thank you so much for that help. Your little one sounds exactly like mine. I too started a few days shy of her 4 months, she also does 7 oz 5 times a day and I she is weighing almost the same as your boy. It is very helpful to hear how others are doing it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:05 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
Steve if you tell me you make your own baby food we are voting you in for Dad of the month. Cause I must say I am impressed with how you post on here and get involved in this stuff. Making baby food will just send you over the top

Oh no ... not me ... my wife does that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:33 pm 

She's quite a woman. Although tonight I made zuccini and I said to myself "if I just allow myself five extra minutes I could throw this through the food processor and she can have it too and fresh. So I am going to give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:57 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
She's quite a woman. Although tonight I made zuccini and I said to myself "if I just allow myself five extra minutes I could throw this through the food processor and she can have it too and fresh. So I am going to give it a try.

Good for you. I honestly don't know what she does to make the baby food. She usually makes a bunch of it all at once and freezes it. I do know that book I mentioned has recipes and tips on how you can add supplements (wheat germ is one example, I think) to make stuff like vegetables even better for the kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:20 am 

Steve would you mind checking out the name of the book? This way I will just order it on amazon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:49 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Steve would you mind checking out the name of the book? This way I will just order it on amazon.

Jenna, do me a favor. Once Steve posts the name, wait a day or two and I'll put a link up from here. That way this web site will make a few cents off the purchase and you will help support the website. What do you think? Infact, if any of you ever want to order something from Amazon, please let me know and I'll give you a link to it. It doesn't cost you any extra and it will support the website.

J.T.
The Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:40 am 

Sure SAM that is fine. I was wondering how this website made money since everything is free. So if we recommend a book we could tell you and you could post it through amazon?