Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:54 pm 

I feel really dumb even having to ask this... I feel like it's something I should know by now. But I haven't even called the doctor I plan on seeing about my pregnancy. I'm 6 1/2 weeks along right now, and I was told that I shouldn't make the appointment until I'm 8-9 weeks along. I plan on calling Thursday to set it up, since she's usually booked about 2-3 weeks, so that'd put me at just the right time. The thing is, I don't totally even know how this works! I know that the first thing you do is take a pregnancy test so they can verify, right? And is that a urine or blood test? Then, I know that you have an actual appointment, where they do the physical exam (the PAP and pelvic exam and all that). But I also know that at some point, they take blood to test for various things. Is that also done at the first appointment? Or is that set up before the exam appointment? And how does billing go with all of this? For example, do I have to pay after I take the pregnancy test, then again after the blood test, and again after the exam? Or do I pay for it all at once? I'm sure the nurse will go over all of this with me when I schedule the first thing, but I'd like to at least have somewhat of an idea of what's going to happen, so that I don't sound like a total idiot when she's explaining everything!!

Also, I should add, to make this all even more confusing, I have plans to move across the state on October 2nd to move in with my boyfriend. I thought about just waiting until I moved to make the first appointments, but then I decided that'd just be too late. I'd be around 10 weeks along by then. And I'm already really antsy to get in there and make sure that everything's going okay so far. The thing is, I've been told that some doctors charge one big overall fee for ALL the appointments that they bill you for after you deliver your baby, regardless of whether you actually go to the appointments or not. In school, we were taught that this was to help encourage and ensure that women actually went to their appointments, since they had to pay for them anyway! and would result in healthier pregnancies and babies. So will I even be able to make this first appointment with the doctor here, and then continue my care where I'm moving to? I would think so... I mean I'm sure I'm not the first person in the world to move while being pregnant! All they'd have to do is transfer records, right?

Sorry to have rambled on and on like that... I'd just really like to know! TIA! :D

Post subject: a few answers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:39 am 

Shortcake,

Usually most doctors charge one big fee after you deliver your baby. I honestly haven't heard of any not doing this. If you planning to move a couple weeks after you might just want to wait. With my first child 4 years ago they didn't want to see me until I was 12 weeks along. With this pregnancy I went in right away because it was a different doctor. They didn't give me any kind of pregnancy test.

He did a pelvic exam and could tell just by the size of my uterus that I was pregnant. The first appointment is by far the longest. If you don't feel comfortable waiting until after you move than do it before. They will take plenty of blood and test it for everything you can imagine. Also at this appointment you will get a prescription for prenatal vitamens which are very important to start taking asap, because of the folic acid in them. Anyway you know whats best for your body so follow what your heart says. Good luck, kerri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:44 pm 

Thank you for your reply! Maybe I'll just call the nurse and tell her the situation, and she what she advises? I do feel that I've been taking very good care of myself, and I did go buy some prenatal vitamins and calcium pills the day after I found out I was pregnant, so I've been taking those. They're the OneSource ones. Are those just as good as the ones doctors prescribe? I guess for now at least, they're better than nothing. They do contain the right amount of folic acid and everything else except calcium, which is why I bought the separate calcium pills. I also try to drink milk but I've never been a big fan of it, unless I'm eating chocolate. :p I don't drink a WHOLE lot of it.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a month before I move. Do you think it'd still be safe for me to wait that long? That'd make me 11 weeks along. I guess that's not too bad... I know a few girls who didn't go in for their first appointments till they were 5 months along! One was too scared, one didn't even know she was pregnant, and the other was in denial and also scared. And their babies were perfectly healthy little girls. Maybe I'd be okay to wait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:11 pm 

I think you are smart to contact the nurse. If I were in your situation, I would go to the doctor soon and then the doctor can always send along your information to your new doctor. Waiting til you are 11 weeks isn't too bad either but a lot of times they like to get the tests and blood work going early on. Something bad won't happen just because you wait. If you wait though, I would call the doctor you will be going to and set up an appointment now so you can go right after you move. Just call the nurse and see what she thinks!! I am sure they have had someone else in a similar situation!! Hope it helps, good luck!!

Post subject: Prenatal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:00 pm 

Hi there,

I just got back from my 30 week appt. I asked him about over the counter prenatal vitamens. He said they were fine. As long as they have more folic acid than a normal vitamen. As far as calcium great it sounds liek you already are a great mother by trying to take the best care of your baby. I'm not a milk fan at all so I either take a calcium pill or a viactive pill which tastes like chocolate ummmmmm. I waited till 3 months with my first because they didn't want to see me before. Maybe because of the amount of miscarriages?????? I don't know and anyway I had a healthy little girl in the end!

Actually she's 4 now and healthier than a horse. Let us know what the nurse says!

Kerri