Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: self feeding
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:15 am 

Okay, I have a question for all of you veteran parents out there. My son will be 6 months old on Sunday. I started him on rice cereal at 4 months and he now eats cereal, fruits and veggies. He recently has started trying to "help" me feed him. He grabs onto my hand (which is holding the spoon) and then proceeds to thrust the spoon into his mouth (sometimes so hard I can't control him and he chokes himself, poor thing, ha ha). While this does make a mess, I really do not mind and I try not to discourage him from this. I usually just strip him down to a diaper and let him make a mess (except of course when I am trying to feed him in public, like at a restaurant, then it gets kind of difficult). Also, when he sees me and daddy eat, he sits there and makes chewing motions, it is really cute.

I want to encourage him feeding himself, but it isn't practical to just give him the spoon himself (his coordination isn't that good yet, lol, and I do need some of the food to make it into his mouth). My question is, when can I start to give him teething biter biscuits or a cracker or something? He doesn't have any teeth yet, but I know they make stuff that just dissolves in his mouth. It is too early to give him something like that? I don't want him to choke, but I would really like to let him feed himself if he is excited about doing it. Did anyone else face this problem? Thanks gals (and guy) for any help you may pass along!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:43 am 
I just asked the question on another website and most of the responses I got said they started around 6 months on the fruit puffs that dissolve in the mouth. Most started cheerios around 8 months. Most of the ladies said they hated the teething biscuits because they are so messy and you have to watch them because there is a chance that they could break off a piece and that is a chocking hazard. Your probably safe to try those dissolving fruit puffs, but my baby is younger than yours so I am only teling you other peoples advice to me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:16 pm 

If you are nervous get the baskets. Those are WONDERFUL!! YOu can put the biscuits and fruit in there and he won't choke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:41 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
If you are nervous get the baskets. Those are WONDERFUL!! YOu can put the biscuits and fruit in there and he won't choke.

Baskets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:01 pm 
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... y&n=542308

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:16 pm 
wow, someone hgave me one of those at my baby shwoer, and i had no clue what it was!!! Kewl, im usre thatll come in handy in the next couple months :):)

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:23 pm 
next couple of months.......boy Melisa you want that little girl to grow up fast! You can probably start using it around 6 months. My husband is in such a rush to start Lily on Cheerios, I keep telling her that she is only 4 months and he has the rest of his life to make her eat cheerios. I told him he has to wait a few more months for those :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:02 pm 

I love it Krissmace never says much she just gives links. LOL!!! She knew exactly what I was talking about though. Mikey used them all the time. Now for Payton I bought three. One for cookies, one for fruit and a seperate one for berries. But I think we have a few more weeks before we try them. Four months is young for cherrios. I just started Payton last week. And I break them into quarters. She puts that small piece in her mouth and she is chewing on it like she has a steak in there or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:07 pm 
I agree that 4 months is early, I just had to get others advice because my husband won't listen to me. He is just so excited about everything. Her first tooth is just poking through rigt now.
As for just leaving a link.......no need for me to try to describe when i can just show :):):) I am bad at explaining things anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:16 pm 

Thanks so much everyone! I have never even heard of those baskets. I am going to have to get one of those! I can't even seen the beginning of one tooth popping through yet on my 6 month old son (but those toothless grins are so wonderful)! But I really want to encourage him feeding himself because he seems so excited about helping (maybe he will be a little helper when I have decide to have another one in the future).

A friend of mine used those dissolving fruit puff thingies, maybe I will try them too (I just wasn't sure how early you could start with them).

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:32 pm 
and actually just let him be messy sometimes and give him the spoon and some food and let him go to town. He has got to learn somehow. Lily already knows that if she holds my hand with the spoon that she should open her mouth so I just let her hold my hand. Whatever works, right :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:40 pm 
lol, yeah i do want her to grow up fast, tehehehehe, i dont want no teeth though, i love those big toothless grins, this child of mine smiles all the time, in the morniong, afternoon and night, at me, her gramma, grampa, auntie and cousins.. it is awesome... oh and on friday she weighed 10.10 pounds and lmao at her doc appointment on monday she weighed 11.1... what a chukn!! lmao!!!

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:52 pm 

My little guy's been on the teething biscuits for a few weeks and loves them. I usually give them right before bath time because like the others said they are extremely messy. Babies gums are very strong. They can gum a lot of hard foods. Soon I will introduce more & more. From crackers, cheerios, toast then to soft foods such as bananas, mashed potatoes, and then to most foods.(all self feeding). He also loves to drink from an open cup and sippy cup with my help. So far none of my children like to hold their own bottles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:52 pm 

Tell him to ask us if he doesn't beleive you. We will back you up girl. Payton has been teething for a while but no teeth yet. The doctor chuckled that he thinks she will teeth long like my son. My son had those white gums for about two and a half months before a tooth popped in. He was only a few weeks before his first birthday. But he was pretty good about it. But Payton......................not taking it so well. But I must say although I hate the teething part I am glad there is no teeth yet. She is already chomping down during nursing and grinding her gums. I can't have her doing this with teeth.
Good idea with the link. I couldn't describe it. No one knew what I was talking about. Probably thinking I give my kids a basket of cookies and fruits. LOL!!
Babies R Us has those baskets. Buy a few replacement baskets cause they get a little yucky. That's why I bought three this time around. Actually put cold fruit in there and it helps there teeth.
You can start Justin on thse puffie things. Like I said Payton is on cheerios just real small and she does well.
Melisa you don't want that baby growing up too fast. You'll miss it. Enjoy each day. I hate that my son is so independant now. My poor daughter I am not letting her grow up so fast. I need a baby in the house. LOL!!
Why did she need to go back to the doctors? Was everything okay?
Mom of 2 is right. There gums are so strong. Cause Mikey cut his teeth late my doctor said that shouldn't discourage me from giving him anything. He will be able to chew it. And we did. By nine months he was eating what we were eating pretty much. I would just cut it small. I started Payton on the cup. She flings it. GOod arm, beamed the dog today. I see etiquette school in her furture. LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:53 pm 
she went back to the doc because of her belly button.. at her 1 month well baby check on friday, i pointed it out to the doc cuz it had been draining, and icky, and right at the base of her belly button there was this thing, i think she called it a "grandulous nub" (but im not sure) its like a chunk of skin that was at the base of her cord that didnt heal correctly, so she did a silver nitrate cauterization on it, and said to come back in a week if it still looked icky, well on monday, it was draining still (yellow drainage) and the skin was still there, and it was red, so i called the office and they had me come in right away, and when the doc did it the first time, she didnt go down far enough, so we had to clean it and do the silver nitrate again, and she said itll basially turn black and fall off like the cord stump. it look much better today.. before all this, you could push her belly down and it would pop out of her belly button, well now, its shrunk so much that her belly button is looking normal, and tight, like a regular belly button should.
i am cherishing thse moments with her, she is starting to try and mak noises, and eveyr now and then she will get one out, its adirable. now, instead of crying in the bath, she cries when i take her out, and she will scream till she is dressed and cuddled with me.. lol

well she is sleeping, so im gonna dive into bed and catch me some zzz's.. OH! mykenzi sept from 11:45 last night, till 5:30 this morning, wooohoooo!!!

Melisa