Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:32 pm 

Hi Everyone My daughter is pregnant with her second baby and I am so excited! My 5 yr old granddaughter is excited too! The Baby is due Dec. 9th, we do not know the sex of the baby yet but they will try to find out at the ultrasound on July 30. My granddaughter REALLY wants a sister! It is all she talks about. Is there any one out there who had a similar experience. I am concerned she will be very disappointed if she has a brother. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:47 pm 

My son wants a baby sister bad. We haven't told him we are working on it (he's 4 almost 5). We keep telling him that he might not get a sister to put the thought in his mind to not be disappointed if we don't have a girl.

Post subject: Siblings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:39 pm 

I guess in about a month from now you?ll know whether you need to worry about disappointing your granddaughter or not. I think it?s important for the older sibling to see the new arrival in a positive light from as early as possible so we give each child a gift *from* the newborn at each subsequent birth. And to start even earlier, you could get the ?I?m going to be a?big sister? clothes for her from http://www.cafeshops.com/materni_tee/221696
If it is going to be a boy, you could look for story books appropriate to her age that are about a baby boy coming into a family. Either way, you may also want to read up on sibling rivalry in the book at http://tinyurl.com/34y9u

In the long run I?m sure the new addition will turn out well for everyone in your extended family. Best wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:25 am 

My son wanted a sister so bad that he refused to think of even the possibility that we might have a boy. Well we just tried to keep him focus on the fact that we want a healthy baby regardless and that you just get what you get. We found out for sure that we are having a boy and he isn't to upset. At first I think he was and then when I started calling him by his name and letting him feel the baby (Riley) move & he doesn't care anymore. But it took a lot of repeating that you'll get what you get. Your granddaughter will come around.
Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:04 pm 

Thanks everyone, actually my Granddaughter is already starting to come around a little and tells everyone the joys of having a sister or a brother. She likes the thought that daddy and baby boy will have "Boy Time" and her and mommy will have "Girl Time". She still really wants a sister but she will be a wonderful Big Sister either way. :D