Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:30 am 

I agree with Krissi. YOu don't want him making suggestions. You want him to give you the right advice for your baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:34 pm 

I agree! After all what the hell are they there for anyway?!?!

Jenna: My nipples are kindof flatish :oops: (I never thought of them as flat untill now...) Not inverted though, and Hannah is VERY impatient and wants to eat when she wants to eat so she has alot of trouble latching on and she gets really frustrated SO I got a nipple sheild to put over mine but she still dosn't get enough that way so we've scratched that idea and now I just pump it out, bottle feed it to her and suppliment with formula when needed. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:59 pm 

Hannah's mommy - you should get an award!! It is great that you are still trying to give your baby as much milk as you can...it must be hard though! I hope that it gets better soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:08 pm 

Thanks! :D The doctor said yeaterday that I am exausting myself what with having to do "double duty" on the feedings, recover from a c-section, and take care of a newborn. Plus I am pretty much alone here; her daddy lives across the city. My Mom is a huge help though! When she's not at work anyway. Thank God for her!

Anyone know how to increase my milk flow? Other than pumping more often? It seems like I have less and less every day :( I am so depressed about that! It's just a kick in the head every time I pump! I'm so frustrated. My doc said that even with the best intentions it just dosn't always work out and not to blame myself... But I am DETERMINED! I am a Taurus after all...She is going to have my breastmilk even if it kills me! Any sugestions???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:13 pm 
Wow wish I could help, I had to stop after 1 month because Lily just was not getting satisfied. I will try to send some produce milk vibes your way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:47 pm 

Water. You need to just down as much water as possible, and of course eat. I couldn't produce enough for my son I had to supplement but with my daughter I am drinking so much water and producing so much more. In the beginning I would feed her every two hours and still have to pump in between. Our freezer was so packed with frozen milk that my mom had to store all the bags in her extra freezer in her house. No joke I have about 75 bags. Water and pump as much as you can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:49 pm 

Kayla,
There are a couple of things you can TRY to boost your milk production. Water's been mentioned, but I'm going to mention it again. DRINK WATER. LOTS OF WATER. Milk is good, as well. But seriously, crank your fluid intake to the point that YOU MISS being pregnant because you peed less then!!! :D

OATMEAL > Oatmeal is your new best friend. Instant, Non-Instant. Flavoured. Non-Flavoured. In a bowl. In cookies. Whatever. If it's Oat-y, and it's Meal-y, it's all good because the oats? Help boost supply.

BREWER'S YEAST > Hops. Help boost supply.

FENUGREEK > available in pill form, or a tea. Look for it in health food stores. Again, it helps boost supply.

REGLAN or DOMPERIDONE > are medications for GI issues. a side effect is an increased production of prolactin, the hormone that aids in milk production. Ask your doc if they might work for you.

BEER > I'm saying this because I *think* you're in Canada, and of legal drinking age there. BEER has two benefits > 1. it will help you relax & relaxation aids in acheiving letdown! AND 2. the HOPS will aid in milk production. NON-ALCOHOLIC beer will do the trick, but be warned >> NA beer contains ALCOHOL. A minute amount, but still. You can drink ALCOHOLIC beer, too. Whatever route you go, assuming you drink no more than 12oz of beer, and weigh somewhere between 90lbs (41kg) and 210lbs (93kg), YOU MUST WAIT THREE HOURS after drinking before pumping... unless you pump and discard that milk. You can wait a shorter time with non-alcoholic beer because the amount of alcohol's minute.

PUMP > what kind of pump are you using? if it's a manual, get an electric. if you've got an electric, and it's something you purchased, rather than rented from the hospital, call the hospital and see if they rent pumps. hospital grade pumps... are stronger than normal electrics. Pump at least once every 2-3 hrs. Pump when she eats, and if possible, pump at least ONCE in the middle of the night. Each breast for at least 20 minutes at a time, and make sure you empty each breast!

NURSING > even if she's not getting enough out, she is getting something, and a baby on the breast + stimulating the nips/areola/glands... is said to be the best way to boost supply. Pump, then get her to latch if you can -- pumping usually fails to empty the breast completely, and it fails to get all the milk a baby can. If she's hungry and too fussy to bother trying, feed her some from the bottle, then try latching on.

SNS > Supplemental Nursing System. You can feed expressed breastmilk, to her with her at your breasts. She's learning to latch + you'll know she's getting enough to eat, but she'll also be stimulating milk production.

Hope some of this helps, and good luck to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:47 pm 

Wow that is the second time I had heard beer. When I was sick last month my supply dropped and I was in a panic. A friend told me to have beer. I thought she was off her rocker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:33 pm 
My aunt had twins and she would drink a beer before nursing alot of time, she swore it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:55 pm 

If I had twins I would be drinking more then beer. LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:34 pm 
beer when your breastfeeding? wow, never heard of that.. im with jenna, if i had twins there would be beer and tequila and whiskey... not to mention a sound proof padded room for mommy to run in circles in screaming! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:37 pm 

Backspaced this out of my original post while editting and forgot to put it back in :oops:

If you're going to try the beer thing, keep in mind that darker beers typically provide the better results, as they contain more hops than the pale ones do. Guinness tops the list; people swear by it -- I know it worked for me when I was BFing, and I'll probably give it another go once I attempt re-lactation. If you've never had Guinness, be warned... it tastes pretty gross. I'd suggest an equally effective non-alc beer alternative (in case anyone wants to go that route), but i'm not familiar with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:32 pm 

LOL Melisa!

Jenna and riotkittie: I REALLY REALLY appreciate your suggestions! I'm willing to try anything!!! My mom has been telling me to have a beer now and then too. I didn't think it would work but now I think I'll have one more often! Even though I would rather have somthing harder! :( I don't like beer that much but whatever! If it will help me to produce more then I'll drink it! I've already asked my dad to pick me up some Guinness...I don't think I've ever had it. I do eat oatmeal and now I'm gonna eat ALOT more of it!! :) Thanks again! I'm gonna try everything you've suggested! And drink lots of water! All I have to do is add a little powdered iced tea mix and I can DOWN a bottle of spring water in NO TIME! lol!

Thanks again! It's MUCh appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:55 pm 

Yuck I hate dark beer.