Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: signing with baby?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:17 pm 

Does anyone sign with their baby? We do and we love it. Its been so much fun to learn a new language as a family. We purchased Signing Time (http://www.preciouspersonalities.com/signingtime ) when DS was 8 months old and he's great at it. At times, DH and I forget a sign and ask each other what it is so we can sign to DS, and DS does the sign for us.

He's also so verbal--and I think a lot of that is due to his learning so much from the DVDs.

I'd love to talk signing with everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:40 pm 
Lily has learnede "milk" so far :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:24 pm 

That's great! Isn't it so exciting? When did you start?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:13 pm 
I started a few months ago showing her and she picked it up just recently, though I think she is still a bit young to "really" know what she is doing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:34 pm 

I was wondering if I should start it. I just had mixed feelings on it. My aunt did it with her son James and then he never spoke. He would just sign. They had to get a speech therapist to come to the house three days a week. She said my aunt needed to stop signing cause there was no reason for him to talk he got what he wanted my signing. WIth Mikey I didn't sigh and he spoke earlier. I don't know if both are just rare examples or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:15 am 

I'd hardly say I'm a professional, but I have talked to several pros. All have agreed that signing helps the kids to overcome temper tantrums and better communicate. I have never heard of a story like your aunt's.

DS was a very early talker, too. He started talking before we ever considered signing. We do signing more as a fun opportunity to learn together. But I really think it has helped to develop his vocab.

On the flip side, a speech-language therapist recently told my friend that they are not concerned with children who have 50 words OR signs by age 2. These children are able to communicate in a strong way. We have a friend who's son only says 2 words, but signs over 50. He is 17 months. They are so happy they decided to start signing with him. Another friend who's son is 15 months starting signing with him at 13 months. He wasn't speaking at all. now the words and signs are flowing frequently.

I just think the whole thing is fascinating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:34 am 

I'm fluent in American Sign Language after training to become an interpreter (something I gave up when I got pregnant)
My son was 2 months preemie, and yet could sign by 9 months (before he could sit up by himself) by 9 months he could sign MOM, DAD, DOG, MILK, MORE, THIRSTY, FOOD, DIAPER, etc.
We didn't suffer from those "i don't know why you are crying' moments.
He didn't walk till 16 mos, which is about the time he started talking. He was right on par with where he should be at 2. was reading by 4 and is now 9 and ranked tops in our province for his grade 3 exams. he was NEVER a temper tantrum kid. Haven't ever heard that signing helps avoid this, but who knows. I am so glad we did it.

KD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:36 am 

Actually, signing has been proven to help prevent tantrums. Kids often have tantrums because they can't express themselves. When they are able to sign, it takes out this frustration. So glad it is working for you.

We just started showing Baby Signing Time (http://preciouspersonalities.com/catalog.php?category=3) to my 4 month old. He loves watching. Today, when I was getting ready to breastfeed him, I signed milk--he calmed down and waited. Its wonderful!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:35 pm 

i REALLY want to teach my daughter how to sign when she gets older. i just want to know how old you start to teach them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:31 am 

We started watching Baby Signing Time with our younger son around 3 months. Our older son started around 8 months. #2 loves watching, but hasn't done any signs yet, though I swear he understands the sign for milk. He gets patient when I sign it. The older, who started watching Signing Time Vols 1-3 at 8 months, began signing around 9 months. I have friends who started at 1 year, and their children were signing within days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:08 pm 

My husband agrees with me that this Baby Signs is a fad that might be hold some benefit and fun, but it's not for us.

Our baby was never a fussy infant and was always so good at conveying whatever it was she needed or wanted by using sounds or smiles or facial expression.

I think talking to my baby is much better than using signs that are not universally understood.

She has been a talker since well before 1 1/2. Her language skills really had blossomed by that age into connecting many words together and now at 22 months she has been telling us entire stories with words, and this for months already.
If we ever aren't sure what she means, which is not often, she'll stop using the word or phrase we aren't sure of and she'll think for a moment. Then she'll choos to use a different word! She is amazing! It's like she already has a built in thesaurus!

She helps us understand what she means by searching her own database of vocabulary! I am VERY glad she isn't frantically signing to tell us anything and that she uses MANY words to let us know her needs and wants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:14 pm 

I agree with you about Baby Signs. Why teach signs that aren't a language?

So we chose Signing Time which uses actual ASL. Its so great that we're all learning a language together. And, FWIW, DS is an amazing speaker with a fantastic vocab. At our conference with his PS teacher, we spent more time discussing the fact that because his vocab is so strong, its hard to remember he's not 4 or 5. For us, Signing is more of a fun hobby. Something we can all learn and do together... and great for talking across the room and not raising our voices and yelling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:47 pm 

Well, I just really think people are spending an awful lot of money on these baby signing systems. It seems such an expensive hobby to pursue. It shouldn't be so expensive. Too many people are just making a big buck off of young parents, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:20 am 

I took sign language my senior year of high school. I know a little still. But where can I pick up the dvd? My baby girl is due june 6th, But the sooner I sign to her. The sooner she will pick it up I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:52 pm 

I got mine at www.preciouspersonalities.com. I think they also have it on amazon, but it was less $$ at Precious Personalities. Of course, there is also info at Signing Time's website.