Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sleep problem
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:47 am 

My 9 month old had been sleeping all night from about 8-8:30 on, until 6:30-7AM. That is, up until about the last two weeks! All of a sudden, she is waking up about 1-2AM. I can usually rock her and get her back to sleep fairly quickly but then within 10-15 minutes of putting her back in her crib, she is tossing and turning in bed and is awake and crying again. I have spent 2 hours in this cycle some nights! She is fine if I'm in the room with her, even just rubbing her back. The problem starts when I leave the room. I have also given her a bottle sometimes, which helps usually. I had not been giving her any night bottles for probably 3 months before this so I really didn't want to get back in that habit.
The last two nights I have actually gotten her back to sleep, then she and I have slept together on her floor for a few hours, at which time I put her back in her crib. I get more sleep this way instead of running back and forth to her for 2 hours. I don't stay there with her ALL night because I work and want her asleep in her crib before my alarm goes off at 6AM. Then she usually sleeps until 6:30-7 so I can get ready for work.
This is already starting to wear me out after being used to her sleeping all night! Does anyone have any guesses on WHY she is doing this all of a sudden??? She might be getting more teeth, but she didn't do this when her first two came in.
Also, any suggestions on what I can try to get her to sleep all night again?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Sleep problem
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:42 am 

Terri B wrote:
My 9 month old had been sleeping all night from about 8-8:30 on, until 6:30-7AM. That is, up until about the last two weeks! All of a sudden, she is waking up about 1-2AM. I can usually rock her and get her back to sleep fairly quickly but then within 10-15 minutes of putting her back in her crib, she is tossing and turning in bed and is awake and crying again. I have spent 2 hours in this cycle some nights! She is fine if I'm in the room with her, even just rubbing her back. The problem starts when I leave the room. I have also given her a bottle sometimes, which helps usually. I had not been giving her any night bottles for probably 3 months before this so I really didn't want to get back in that habit.
The last two nights I have actually gotten her back to sleep, then she and I have slept together on her floor for a few hours, at which time I put her back in her crib. I get more sleep this way instead of running back and forth to her for 2 hours. I don't stay there with her ALL night because I work and want her asleep in her crib before my alarm goes off at 6AM. Then she usually sleeps until 6:30-7 so I can get ready for work.
This is already starting to wear me out after being used to her sleeping all night! Does anyone have any guesses on WHY she is doing this all of a sudden??? She might be getting more teeth, but she didn't do this when her first two came in.
Also, any suggestions on what I can try to get her to sleep all night again?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Try tiring her out out before bedtime, and then give her a nice big bottle of formula. That should do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:10 am 

Could be teething. Since you can rock her to sleep and then she cries when you leave, maybe you should start letting her cry for a bit before you decide to go in. She may be getting used to crying, knowing that you will come. If there is no serious reason why she's waking, then she should be able to get herself back to sleep at this age. The hard part is letting her cry it out. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:52 pm 

Hi Terri,

I would have to say I pretty much agree with "Momof2". Something
is causing her to wake up in the night.....it could be teething. My son has been through really bad periods with his teeth and some teeth like the molars are more painful when they come in.
It sounds like she goes to bed at a good time and is tired enough or you would be having a hard time putting her to sleep in the first place.
You could give her a bottle (like the first person mentioned) right before bed that way you know she is not waking up in the night because she feels hungry. At 9 months she should be able to go all night without a bottle.
And like "Momof2" said, don't go running into her room as soon as you hear her cry in the night. Babies, toddlers, and adults wake frequently in the night......it's just the way humans sleep. Babies and toddlers need to learn how to soothe themselves back to sleep. They may have a favourite blanket, a favourtie toy, or a soother or thumb they suck on.
Make sure she has something in her crib she finds comforting right beside her or even something of yours with your scent on, like a sweater, that may help soothe her back to sleep again if she wakes.
Try to avoid the middle of the night bottle. If you must go to her in the night try just rubbing her back without talking too much to her or picking her up......that way you are not going to disturb her and she may easily fall back to sleep in her crib.
If worse comes to worse, let her cry for 5 or 10 minutes before getting her. It's really hard, but in the long run you both will be better rested and feel better in the morning.

Good Luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:25 pm 

I realize this was posted last month but.............that could be an ear infection. My child used to do the same thing, when she was in a crib. She is four now and can tell me but when she was a baby that was a sure sign of her ears hurting. Good luck to you.