Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sleep
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:28 pm 

I was just wondering when the baby will start sleeping more or for longer stretches!! Also, when will she stop crying for no reason? She doesn't do it all the time. Just sometimes in the evening!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:05 pm 
well hun, ya have to understand that until just recently, she was warm and cozy in your belly, so now, she is still adjusting to the outside world. Babies cry for many reasons, hunger, pain, hot, cold, wet, poopy, boredom, what worked for mykenzi when she was a newborn and cried for no reason was to just cuddle her and talk to her, it will develop a bond between either you and her or her daddy and her. As far as sleeping, every baby is different, mykenzi would sleep for an average of 4-5 hours at a time. But just recently, mabe 2 weeks ago, her sleep patterns changed, she is usually up for and hour or hour and a half at a time, then sleeps for about 2 hours. just give it time, she will eventually smooth herself out into a somewhat distinguishable pattern, till then, just cater to her needs ;-)

good luck marianne:):)

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:21 pm 

Thanks!! I can't believe your baby is already over a month old. It just seems like yesterday she was born. I will probably be saying that soon!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:08 pm 
i know, *sniffle* i wanna quit blinking cuz every time i do, she does something new, one day im gonna wake up and itll be graduation day.. lol :):)

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:08 am 

I can honestly tell you, the first 3 weeks were the toughest for me. After that, Melissa is right, the sleep becomes more regular. And by 9 weeks, my son was sleeping 6-7 hours at a time at night. However, right now, it is tough. Babies have no concept of night and day when they are first born, and that is the toughest. After about 3 weeks though we would put him down at midnight, he would get up at say, 3:30-4 to eat, go back to bed after about 45 min. and then sleep till about 7am. And that I could handle. But, it just takes a few weeks and even then, it isn't always consistent. There will always be "bad" nights, for whatever reason.

As hard as it is (I used to feel guilty about doing it) but try and get help so that you can get some sleep, even if it is just a few hours. I use to feel like my son would forget me if I was away for a few hours sleeping, but he didn't! And it is important, or else you will go insane. Ha ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:31 am 
I had a tough time with Lily until she was about 2 months old. We would try everything to get her to sleep at night and it seemed like nothing worked, then one day my fairy godmother must have come down and sprinkled some sleeping powder on Lily because just like that she started sleeping through the night. Now she goes to bed at 7:00p.m. and wakes up at 7:00 a.m, so hang in there it will get better. They always say the first 6 weeks is the toughest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:01 pm 

are any of you nursing? Will that change sleeping patterns? I have been nursing and boy does it hurt!! I hear once you hit the 2 week point the pain will lessen. She will usually have 2 long stretches of sleep at night. Usually around 3-4 hours at a time. At least that is what she has been doing these last 2 nights. We can handle the sleeping as long as it stays like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:06 pm 
Supposedly if you sick with it your nipples will toughen up and it will get better. I did it for a month though and mine never got any better. I don't think Lily was ever latching on correctly though. We had to switch to formula because of the combination of my pain and she did not want to nurse. Just keep putting the lanolin on them, it will make them feel a little better, and keep them exposed to air for as long as you can. Good luck!