Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sleep time
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:21 pm 

I have always had trouble getting Hailey to take a nap. When she was a newborn she would fall asleep anywhere. But now in order for her to take a nap she will only do it in her swing. I didnt like this idea beacuse I was afraid that she would get used to it when she gets older. But the doctor told me she would grow out of it. Now she wont take a full nap, sometimes she will wake up only halfway through her nap, and she is still tired and rubbing her eyes. Why is she doing this if she is still tired? Something is making her wake up. She is 4 and a half months and she goes to bed around 11 or 11:30 and wakes up at 630 or 7. Should I try putting her to bed earlier and see if she will sleep later? Maybe cut down on her naps. What do all your children do? Thanks in advance :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:08 pm 
Wish I had some advice. Lily used to only nap in her swing but I ended that at about 3 months and made her take naps in her crib. I would just let her cry until she fell asleep. Now she is on a pretty good sleep schedule:
Bedtime 7:00 wakes up 6:00 Nap 8:00 (sleeps for about 45 minutes) Nap 11:30 (most of the time for about 1 hour) and then last nap at 3:30 (about 30 minutes) You kinda just have to get them used to schedule. Sometime Lily will wake up early from the naps, but normally if she does she will sleep longer the next nap. One other thing I have done is she has a "naptime CD" which is put on everytime it is time to take a nap so she knows it is time. I do the same thing for bedtime. All babies are different though, some just don't like to take naps. Too much to do in the awake world! :) Hope things get better for you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:31 pm 

My son used to only nap in his swing & he outgrew it but mostly because he was to heavy for the swing. He slept wonderfully at night but didn't like his bed during the day. Then one day he just starting sleeping well. in bed. I'm not much help either. My second stopped taking naps all together at 1 1/2yrs. My son is usually taking about 2 naps a day. Depends on how busy the day is. We don't have set schedules. My kids just let me know is when its time to eat, sleep, etc. We go with them.

Post subject: Re: Sleep time
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:10 pm 

Jessnick wrote:
I have always had trouble getting Hailey to take a nap. When she was a newborn she would fall asleep anywhere. But now in order for her to take a nap she will only do it in her swing. I didnt like this idea beacuse I was afraid that she would get used to it when she gets older. But the doctor told me she would grow out of it. Now she wont take a full nap, sometimes she will wake up only halfway through her nap, and she is still tired and rubbing her eyes. Why is she doing this if she is still tired? Something is making her wake up. She is 4 and a half months and she goes to bed around 11 or 11:30 and wakes up at 630 or 7. Should I try putting her to bed earlier and see if she will sleep later? Maybe cut down on her naps. What do all your children do? Thanks in advance :D

In my opinion, 11 or 11:30pm is way too late for a baby to go to sleep. I know some kids to do it and it's no trouble, but if you're asking for my opinion, a baby should be in bed before 8pm, or at LEAST before 9pm. She should still be sleeping until the same time .. 6:30 or 7am.

The next issue .. naps. Do NOT cut down on naps. It's counterintuitive, but babies who are better rested sleep better. If they're overtired, they get so agitated that they don't sleep well. Try to make sure you know her sleep cues, and get her in her crib as soon as possible after you're sure she's ready. At 4 months, if she wakes up and you don't think she's truly done napping, then let her cry for a few minutes (maybe five) before you go get her. She might just go back to sleep.

Good luck. Now, if someone could help us break our bad sleep habits, I'd be happy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:56 pm 

I'm on the same page as Steve. Payton is in bed by 8 at night, she gets up about 7ish in the morning, back down by 8 up at 10 back down about 12, up at 2 and around dinner she takes a half hour power nap; usually not always. If you feel she's tired and her nap isn't long enough let her cry it out. With Mikey I used to let him cry 15 minutes the doctor said that was fine. As long as I knew he was tired, not hungry or dirty. With Payton since she's strong willed (that's what the doctor calls her lol) he says half hour. Not a half hour of screaming her head off but a half hour of fuzzing and crying. She should put herself back to sleep. Ince she realizes you aren't going to come get her after a short nap she will stop waking up. GOod luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:08 pm 

Thanks for all your help guys. I guess im just scared to start a totally diferent schedule. How do I go about switching her schedule? She sleeps from 1130 to 630 and eats goes back to sleep at 730 until 9 then she basically eats every 4 hours 5 bottles a day. She gets tired after being up for about 2 1/2 hours so she takes 4 naps a day. Should i not let her get as many naps in the day and just put her to bed at 9 and go from there? I just dont want her to get up in the middle of the night. Thanks again, I really could use the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:23 pm 
I would say start putting her to sleep earlier and see how it goes. Eventually she will get with the "program" but it may take awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:30 pm 

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with Steve about a BABY having to go to bed before 8 or 9. I personally don't think the time they go to sleep is terribly important but the amount of sleep they get is. My 1st went to sleep around 10. If she went down any sooner she would be up 50X's before 10 ever came & most the early morning. When she got older and wasn't sleeping much during the day(& getting her needed amount) obviously she went to bed earlier. Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:07 pm 

Well, I am guessing your major issue is getting her to nap in the crib and not in the swing.
How long are her naps during the day? If you can get her to nap longer ( i assume they are short cause you said she is tired) she may take less naps but more productive ones. You don't want to cut down her naps during the day cause I am sure she needs them. Then if you cut down her naps and put her to sleep over tired you are going to get her sleeping less and night. THat could be why she's not sleeping soundly during her naps. Two and a half hours up could be a long time for her; especially if she only napped a half hour or so before that. Look for signs she is getting tired. Payton gets a little antsy and starts stetching her back. As soon as she does that she's goes to nap. If I wait until she is screaming and miserable she will be too wound up to nap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:06 am 

I am not sure I agree with everyone. I think it has to be what works for you. Justin is 7 months and goes to bed at 11pm and sleeps till 8 - 8:30 or so. My husband works 2nd shift (4-midnight) and so, we need Justin to sleep till at least 8 so that my husband gets at least 7 hours of sleep. We have, on occasion, but him to bed early (at like 10) and he gets up at 7. Some kids just don't sleep that much at night. I don't require a lot of sleep (6-7 hours a night) and obviously Justin only needs 9-9 1/2 hours at night. He then takes a morning nap of about 1 hour and 20 min and an afternoon nap of about the same and then finally a 45 min. nap in the early evening. It is just what works for us! You have to find what is best for both you and your baby. As for naps, I think sometimes they wake up and want to play even though they are still tired (Justin does it sometimes and rubs his eyes too which is how I know he is still tired). When he is that tired, I usually go in, give him the pacifier and make him "cry it out." He usually is back asleep in 5 minutes for the remainder of the nap. Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:56 am 

Hayden doesn't take very long naps either. He takes about 3 to 4 naps, but at the most, they last about 30.. but usually only 20. He does go to be at around 8pm to 8:30. He's usually pretty good about that. The only time he does go to bed later is if we did a lot of driving that day. He sleeps most of the drive-time we do.

Sometimes I wish Hayden would take longer naps in the day, but I save all the work for me when he does go to bed.

He goes to sleep at 8... wakes up at 4, then sleeps until 7 then back to sleep.. and wakes up whenever I do.. depending on how I slept.. hehe :)

Hayden usually takes a nap when I feed him in the afternoon..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:21 am 

I have to say, reading through all of these replies confuses me! Too many times and ups and downs and awakes and asleeps! lol!

:wink:

We used to put Jake to bed around 9 or 10 at night. He was getting up between 5 and 6 am. Then, around 4 months old we noticed that he was very grumpy all evening long. He started taking a nap around supper time that would last from 1-2 hours long and when he woke up he was a BEAR! So, we started putting him bed 30 minutes earlier every couple nights just to see what would happen. Each time we moved up 30 min he got a little less crabby in the evening and he still slept until the same time in the morning. Now we put him to bed around 7pm and he will sleep to5 or 6, eat and then go back to sleep until 7 or 8 am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:07 pm 

I probably should have prefaced my statements more. Like I said, some kids can do those late bedtimes and be fine, and with some parents working non-9-to-5 shifts it's sometimes necessary. As long as the kid is sleeping a good amount at night and napping well, I wouldn't worry about it so long as they're straight by the time they go to school and NEED to get up early. However, if there's a problem I always recommend trying a bedtime closer to 7 or 8pm. Plus, it has the added benefit of Mommy and Daddy having time to themselves for a little while before THEY go to bed. I'd go crazy if my kids were up until 11pm .. truly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:56 pm 

Well thanks for all your advice everyone, it is really helpful to see what different people do. I will just have to try it out and see what works best with her. Like some of you said it may just take time. Jenna103: she is taking about 4 naps during the day, usually they are about 1 1/2 hours each. Lately they have only been about 45 min to an hour and if Im lucky and hour and a half. She was never a fussy baby, now she seems to be a little more fussy. I dont know if it is because she is tired or not. So I will just try different things!! Thanks again for all your help and I will let you all know how it goes!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:05 pm 

DadSteve wrote:
Plus, it has the added benefit of Mommy and Daddy having time to themselves for a little while before THEY go to bed. I'd go crazy if my kids were up until 11pm .. truly.

That is certainly true! My days are LOOOOONG! I get up at 6:30 am, out the door by 7, home by 6pm and I put Justin down at 11 and go to bed at 11:30 myself. I get no alone time and I see my husband even less (well, that is what happens when he works nights and I work days, but it is what we have to do to keep Justin out of day care... hey, it makes for a nice marriage, lol). Steve is right, you just have to find what works. I know someday it isn't gonna be easy to get Justin to go to bed earlier but hopefully he'll start sleeping more than 9 - 9 1/2 hours and we can put him down earlier. Until then... my days remain long!